« Reply #20 on: 4 Mar 2012, 02:48 pm »
Sent!
No need for Ted to take action.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: SACD ripping using a PS3
« Reply #21 on: 4 Mar 2012, 03:59 pm »
Rudi, Your PM issues were simply due to your newness to AC (no PM's or free access to features until 3 posts+). 

I just sent you an email through the AC app (but it doesn't show you actual email, nor allows for attachments.).  I asked, in the email to send me your actual one via my email address.  it also allows me to collect it for my large growing SACD guide distribution list.

Norman (and all) I have updated my guide with a couple things but the biggest is that I rezipped my ISO2DSDIFF folder that contains all the latest bat files, the latest sacd-extract.exe and removes any of the FLAC stuff I don't recommend using.  The new zip is called ISO2DSDIFF.zip and is available via my dropbox public link.  PM me if needed.

wisnon

« Reply #22 on: 4 Mar 2012, 08:23 pm »
Thanks Ted.

Much appreciated. Rudi is here in CH, so I have spoken to him directly just now. Great to have a circle member so close by!

terroll

« Reply #23 on: 4 Mar 2012, 09:07 pm »
Hi Ted,

I am also new to audiocircle, so I must wait and cannot sent any PM's yet.  As soon as I can I will be asking for a copy of your guide.

Thank you in advance.

TM

Steve Z

« Reply #24 on: 19 Apr 2012, 11:19 pm »
Thanks ted_b for facilitating this thread. I found it after wading through 20+ pages of posts in another circle discussion about HDMI de-embedders. . .

In that thread you mentioned in passing that you convert the DSD files extracted from SACDs to 24/176.4 PCM. I was wondering why, knowing that you have or had a DSD DAC, and IIRC have Pure Music which will convert DSD to PCM.

Inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks,

Steve Z

Steve Z

« Reply #25 on: 19 Apr 2012, 11:23 pm »
In an effort to get beyond the minimum post requirement, here is another question:

Early in this thread several kind souls offered PS3 that fit the profile (firmware 3.55 or less, still functional, surplus to their needs) for sale for those having problems finding the right one.

Does anyone currently have such a unit available?

TIA,

Steve Z

Steve Z

« Reply #26 on: 19 Apr 2012, 11:26 pm »
One more (three's the charm):

When looking for used PS3s, for an American user is PAL an issue? I'm assuming that hooking one up to a computer monitor obviates any necessity for a PAL TV.

It's probably very obvious now I've never even held a PS-anything game controller. . .

Steve Z

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #27 on: 20 Apr 2012, 10:00 pm »
Steve,
Hi and welcome to AC. 

My 24/176k PCM conversion needs pre-dated me getting into native DSD via the Mytek and the Meitner dacs.  I convert to PCM no longer.  :)

I would not do PAL; I'm not sure it is worth the risk.  But I'm not the best expert either (update:  you PM'd me on CA that you might have found a PS3; here's hoping!!  :thumb:)

Steve Z

« Reply #28 on: 20 Apr 2012, 10:18 pm »
Thanks very much, Ted. I appreciate the update. Good words of caution about the PAL units, and hopefully the line I just found on a US PS3 that might fit the profile will be successful.

Looking forward to sharing my results with the group.

Steve Z

noreltny

« Reply #29 on: 21 Apr 2012, 10:23 pm »
Using the sacd_extract.exe, I’m having trouble converting the DSF files to DSD.

I downloaded the file ‘sacd_extract_0.3.6_WIN32.zip’ and extracted it into a folder that I named “sacdrip’. I copied my SACD ISO file into this directory so it would be easier to work with from a command line prompt.

I followed  these instructions: http://sacd-ripper.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/readme.

Here’s the steps I followed:

1: From the start menu, I typed “CMD” into the command box (or whatever it’s called). This brings up the command window.
2. From the prompt in the command, I navigated to the “sacdrip” directory where I extracted the file ‘sacd_extract.exe’.
3. The instructions include a list of command options and a few examples. I tried following the examples. First, here’s the list of available options:

Usage: sacd_extract [options] [outfile]
  -2, --2ch-tracks                : Export two channel tracks (default)
  -m, --mch-tracks                : Export multi-channel tracks
  -e, --output-dsdiff-em          : output as Philips DSDIFF (Edit Master) file
  -p, --output-dsdiff             : output as Philips DSDIFF file
  -s, --output-dsf                : output as Sony DSF file
  -I, --output-iso                : output as RAW ISO
  -c, --convert-dst               : convert DST to DSD
  -C, --export-cue                : Export a CUE Sheet
  -i, --input[=FILE]              : set source and determine if "iso" image,
                                    device or server (ex. -i192.168.1.10:2002)
  -P, --print                     : display disc and track information

Help options:
  -?, --help                      : Show this help message
  --usage                         : Display brief usage message

Here’s the usage example I tried:

Extract all stereo tracks to multiple DSDIFF files and convert all DST to DSD:

$ sacd_extract -2 -p -c -i"Foo_Bar_RIP.ISO"

So, after the command prompt, I typed:

sacd_extract -2 –p –c –i”TAPESTRY.iso”

I ended up with a folder named “CAROLE KING – TAPESTRY” and 14 individual files for each track. However, none of the files were converted to DSD files. All have the extension DFF.

I read through the thread on Computer Audiophile and learned that if you are extracting individual files for playback, it is better to extract to DSF before converting to DSD. So, I tried this at the command line -

sacd_extract -2 –s –c –I”TAPESTRY.iso”

This time, it created the same folder and generated a bunch of DSF files, again without converting the DSF files to DSD.

I also tried using their usage examples to create multichannel DSD files. Again, I was successful at extracting the individual tracks into files, but I couldn’t end up with the DSD files. The conversion step is just getting ignored. I’m not getting any error messages, so the program seems to be working.

Any ideas???

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #30 on: 21 Apr 2012, 10:49 pm »
Noreltny,
First off, welcome to AC.

Second, DIFF is indeed DSD.  There is no "DSD" format, it is either DIFF or DSF.  You are fine.  What makes you think you are not?  I prefer DSF due to better native metadata and that DSF officially supports ID3 tagging, although DIFF is editable somewhat too  (and yes i always use the DST uncompress command in my bat list cuz there is no downside; however, if you extract and your SACD ISO has DST compression due to multichannel content, and you forget to uncompress the DST you might end up with garbage, so I always do the lower case "c" command).

Third, you are doing wayyyyy too much work.   :)  Just use a bat file; it automates the extraction and allows multiple ISO's at one time.  See my guide for more info.  Feel free to PM me and I'll send the link, which also has the proper Windows extraction folder layout and all the bat files..

wisnon

« Reply #31 on: 22 Apr 2012, 08:05 am »
Steve,
Hi and welcome to AC. 

My 24/176k PCM conversion needs pre-dated me getting into native DSD via the Mytek and the Meitner dacs.  I convert to PCM no longer.  :)

I would not do PAL; I'm not sure it is worth the risk.  But I'm not the best expert either (update:  you PM'd me on CA that you might have found a PS3; here's hoping!!  :thumb:)

Pal works for me here in Europe and if you have a Pal monitor and the right power supply to the PS3, it will work.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #32 on: 22 Apr 2012, 11:14 am »
Yes, PAL is European standard, not US.  I guess it would work, but these PS3 searches are so risky I wanted to state that. 

wisnon

« Reply #33 on: 22 Apr 2012, 06:09 pm »
Yes, the PS3 search is risky no doubt and there is really one ONE PAL model that qualifies, i.e. CECHXXX

We also have an advantage over here as nearly every TV can also handle NTSC, so US films are quite usable here.

john925

« Reply #34 on: 29 Apr 2012, 03:01 am »
Noreltny,
First off, welcome to AC.

Second, DIFF is indeed DSD.  There is no "DSD" format, it is either DIFF or DSF.  You are fine.  What makes you think you are not?  I prefer DSF due to better native metadata and that DSF officially supports ID3 tagging, although DIFF is editable somewhat too  (and yes i always use the DST uncompress command in my bat list cuz there is no downside; however, if you extract and your SACD ISO has DST compression due to multichannel content, and you forget to uncompress the DST you might end up with garbage, so I always do the lower case "c" command).

Third, you are doing wayyyyy too much work.   :)  Just use a bat file; it automates the extraction and allows multiple ISO's at one time.  See my guide for more info.  Feel free to PM me and I'll send the link, which also has the proper Windows extraction folder layout and all the bat files..

hi ted,

the bat file 2011/9/2 and the sacd_extact.exe 2012/1/9 produce different length of each track.  Every track the bat file produced is 3-5 seconds shorter than the track the sacd_extract.exe produced.

Do you know why this would happen? Which one is the correct output?

Thanks

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #35 on: 29 Apr 2012, 03:18 am »
John925, a bat file is simply  a macro of the sacd-extract...the bat files should be referencing the latest sacd-extract.  They are not mutually exclusive.  The evolution of the sacd-extract.exe app has produced a different track time simply due to one extract treating the silence at the beginning of a track a little differently I believe.

john925

« Reply #36 on: 1 May 2012, 06:04 pm »
John925, a bat file is simply  a macro of the sacd-extract...the bat files should be referencing the latest sacd-extract.  They are not mutually exclusive.  The evolution of the sacd-extract.exe app has produced a different track time simply due to one extract treating the silence at the beginning of a track a little differently I believe.

Ted, thanks. I'll try to see if it is the silence issue. Still waiting for your thoughts on mytek 192 comparing the meitner ma-1... :thumb:

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #37 on: 6 May 2012, 01:26 pm »
Chuck (aka emmodad, the father of HDMi de-embedding for SACD and who I referenced to begin that trend in my 2010 review) is ill and selling off his stuff to pay med bills. He has a loaded PS3 with fw 1.55 (very early) and selling here on Headfi, and on Steve Hoffman's site. He's asking a lot, but I'm sure open to offers.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/608907/medical-911-playstation-3-80gb-ceche01-sacd-system-software-ver-1-55-like-new
« Last Edit: 6 May 2012, 02:31 pm by ted_b »

Phil A

« Reply #38 on: 6 May 2012, 02:24 pm »
Ted - the link didn't work for me

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #39 on: 6 May 2012, 02:32 pm »
Ted - the link didn't work for me

Try now...using his head-fi ad, which does not require log in, etc.