Synchro-Mesh reclocker reviews

steve in jersey

Re: Synchro-Mesh reclocker reviews
« Reply #180 on: 10 Apr 2013, 03:44 pm »
Steve,

You may be too quick in "admitting" to there may have actually been anything at fault w/ the circuit of that particular SMR as you did'nt have the opportunity to physically examine it yourself.

As mentioned much earlier in the thread many people are'nt sensitive to the effects of "jitter". I would go as far to say some people mistakenly label some of these artifacts as "ambient detail". If you go back several pgs. back & read some of the postings I'm sure you'll pick-up on this.

I normally "cringe" a bit when people start talking about "HF extension" . The other term that will send me into fit of laughter is "mushy digital treble". "MDT" makes sense if you have'nt been protecting your hearing, in every situation,always, everyday, for your entire life, but who does that ? Oh yea, me !

"Mushy Digital Treble"... I'm not even sure if that's possible to produce. No I take that back a "Producer" can accomplish this (but they're to busy making "make your ears bleed digital treble" recordings)

ozzy

« Reply #181 on: 10 Apr 2013, 11:52 pm »
I sold the SM because from the start I didn't think it was improving my sound quality. You can reread my earlier posts. But, I kept it past the return period and I didn't ask for a refund. There was nothing wrong with the unit. Now, I am using a modified Squeezebox Touch along with a Linear Power supply. My guess is that the SM works best with lesser higher jitter sources.

I just left the SM in my system until one day I took it out. From what I could tell the SM provided a defined image but at the expense of air, soundstage and bass quality.

livengood1

« Reply #182 on: 11 Apr 2013, 04:38 pm »
In contrast to Ozzie's experience, when I added a Synchro-mesh to my stereo I was struck immediately by a big positive change, and since then my enthusiasm for this product has remained strong. The main improvement for me is that the SM creates a much more realistic picture of the size and "3-Dness" of the sound. It has become almost like surround sound, with heightened spatial effects. Instruments in the background now sound not just quieter, but like they are way behind other instruments with real space separating them. The orchestra sounds big, like an orchestra. In smaller ensembles, especially jazz bands, the texture of the individual instruments stands out and the music just sounds almost like a real live concert in a real venue. In pop and rock music, the subtle studio effects are there in a way that is sometimes uncanny. I have been listening to more music, for more hours a day, every day, than I have since I was very young. And I am getting thrilled by music every day, which is the main reason for having a stereo.

The other day, after Ozzie complained about his SM and Steve suggested that the fault it might be in the deterioration over time of a component, I got very worried. But when I took the unit out, I realized that, without it, I would be taking a huge step backward. It's not coming out again. After putting in my two cents worth, I went back and reread the thread, and saw that Ozzie, as he admits, was never enamored of this product for whatever reason. For me the SM is a godsend.   

path73

« Reply #183 on: 13 May 2013, 08:01 pm »
I think you don't suspect what the SM can really do in your system as long as you haven't heard at least OT mod (standard on new units now I read, OTL even better but only if DAC is compatible) and Steve's new BNC-BNC coax cable. The improvements are unbelievable! Never thought upgrading my already good silver coax cable could have such a dramatic effect. My coax cable was actually preventing the truly extraordinary low-jitter performance of the SM to shine through.
Happy listening (for those who haven't sold their SM...) and from virtually any digital source!
/patrick

mtruong34

« Reply #184 on: 14 May 2013, 12:46 am »
In my experience, the SM helps poor sources but negligible effect on good sources. Connected to the optical line out from my Dish network receiver, the SQ is improved. However, from my laptop USB using a hiface converter and AP2, I can hear little difference with or without the SM in the chain. My SM does not have any mods and I use much better than generic cables.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #185 on: 14 May 2013, 03:01 pm »
Mine, with the OTL and new cable that Steve makes, improves everything I plug into it. I have a very nice transport, Bel Canto CD3T. While I agree it does not make a huge difference vs. this transport direct to the DAC, it is notable in that there is a slight fuzz to the sound that is gone when used with the SMR.

Now, the Pure I20 ipod dock is greatly improved. So much so that I cannot stand to listen to it without the SMR, and it performs equal to the CD transport with the SMR.

That said, I'd say that the latest SMR will never sound worse than the best transport. It just needs a signal to do its thing. That's pretty cool if you ask me, and one can save money using any compatible source, rather than buying an expensive transport.

Watthead

« Reply #186 on: 23 May 2013, 01:21 pm »
It's been like two weeks since I received my SM with the OTL mods (no cable). First off I'd like to point that while away, my SM was greatly missed. I didn't listen to music as much, it wasn't as fun. Music wasn't as crisp, and soundstage smaller. I tried to forget about this and listen to music, but I always ended up turning off the stereo a lot sooner than before. Some days went by and I didn't even turn it on, that shocked my wife. So I'm just saying this as a sort of disclaimer. When I got the unit, only physical difference I noticed right away was the missing RCA Coax output. Fine by me. I connected the unit  with the provided 75ohms adapter and sat and listened. I smiled right away, my stereo was back, with balloons. Difference the mods made? I'd say, that everything that the SM did, was bettered by about 15 to 25%. In audio world, that's a lot. Music is presented with more control, one can look more into the music, bass is improved along with soundstage, and slam. Brass sounds are more alive and great extension. Low level detail is greatly improved, allowing me to enjoy music till wee hours at night. The Mod is definitely worth it, better yet I'd say it's a must. Now when I take the SM out of the system (just for fun A/B), the difference can be perceived very easily. Yes, it was the case before, but now more so. Now I can't get out of my mind how much better the Off Ramp must sound  grrr. This hobby's gonna kill me  :scratch:

Any news on the new power supply Steve?

Simon

audioengr

« Reply #187 on: 23 May 2013, 05:59 pm »
It's been like two weeks since I received my SM with the OTL mods (no cable). First off I'd like to point that while away, my SM was greatly missed. I didn't listen to music as much, it wasn't as fun. Music wasn't as crisp, and soundstage smaller. I tried to forget about this and listen to music, but I always ended up turning off the stereo a lot sooner than before. Some days went by and I didn't even turn it on, that shocked my wife. So I'm just saying this as a sort of disclaimer. When I got the unit, only physical difference I noticed right away was the missing RCA Coax output. Fine by me. I connected the unit  with the provided 75ohms adapter and sat and listened. I smiled right away, my stereo was back, with balloons. Difference the mods made? I'd say, that everything that the SM did, was bettered by about 15 to 25%. In audio world, that's a lot. Music is presented with more control, one can look more into the music, bass is improved along with soundstage, and slam. Brass sounds are more alive and great extension. Low level detail is greatly improved, allowing me to enjoy music till wee hours at night. The Mod is definitely worth it, better yet I'd say it's a must. Now when I take the SM out of the system (just for fun A/B), the difference can be perceived very easily. Yes, it was the case before, but now more so. Now I can't get out of my mind how much better the Off Ramp must sound  grrr. This hobby's gonna kill me  :scratch:

Any news on the new power supply Steve?

Simon
It will be while longer.  Hynes workstation had disk problems and he is recovering.

Steve N.

Recorder

Does the Synchro-Mesh work with television audio?
« Reply #188 on: 23 Jul 2013, 01:21 pm »
Will the Synchro-Mesh work with the optical out from a TV?  Or does it introduce a latency that makes the audio lag the video? 

Cheers,
Bill

mtruong34

« Reply #189 on: 23 Jul 2013, 01:42 pm »
I'm using the SM Reclocker with the optical out from my Dish receiver and do not notice a significant lag.  I think there is always very slight lag from my satiellite box to TV but I don't believe the SM introduces any additional lag.

livengood1

« Reply #190 on: 27 Aug 2013, 06:39 pm »
I now have much more experience with the Syncro-mesh than the last time I chimed in. That experience has only further reinforced my love for this unit. I have tried several cables (my own Lessloss as well as several well-regarded brands borrowed from friends), including cables of different lengths. For some reason, 2 meters sounded slightly better to me than the same cables in 1.5 meter--I have no idea why.  For the past month or so, I have been listening mostly with Toslink, which . . . actually sounds the best. I have the ability to do instant comparisons between inputs and there is no doubt in my mind that my Wireworld Supernova 6 glass cable sounds better than any of the far more expensive coax cables that I tried. I had always been told that Toslink is inferior, but my own experience says that this is not true (at least with this cable). Maybe it is the electrical isolation or maybe some other factor is at play, but I would encourage others to give it a try. The Synchro-mesh sounds great with every cable I have tried and I would be happy with any of them, but I am happiest with the glass link. I am curious if anyone else has any opinions about this.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #191 on: 28 Aug 2013, 01:20 am »
Have you tried Steve's new SPDIF Cable? It is fantastic and has beaten everything I have.

livengood1

« Reply #192 on: 28 Aug 2013, 05:31 pm »
Have you tried Steve's new SPDIF Cable? It is fantastic and has beaten everything I have.

No, I haven't. I tried only what I already own and what I could borrow from friends. For me, several hundred bucks is a big investment in a cable, so I only wanted something I could hear in my own listening room before buying one and I wanted to compare cables from different manufacturers. When a friend lent me his Supernova 6 cable, it sounded better to me than everything else I had tried, so I bought one. And then I sold my Losslink coax cable and came out ahead. I've since been reading up about S/PDIF coax and, the more I learn, the more convinced I am that these cables, even the very good ones, are hit and miss. It might sound great in one chain and not so in another. I'm done for now. The SM is great, and much more affordable than buying everything new. The music sounds wonderful with what I have now. I am still a bit perplexed about why the Toslink sounds so good, because almost everything I have read disparages these cables. I don't care though. It works for me.

audioengr

« Reply #193 on: 28 Aug 2013, 06:06 pm »

Dr4Bob

• Don't let the Pinks get your slack...
« Reply #194 on: 20 Sep 2013, 05:01 pm »
I purchased a Syncro-Mesh (24/96) shortly after introduction for use with my Sonos system. I find the soundstage, imaging, note timbre and decay markedly improved. Really an outstanding addition. I find no difference between the Red Book CD and the ALAC rip via Sonos and the S-M.

I have also used both the Monarchy DIP and the Cullen Mod ZP 90. Briefly, the Monarchy solution does improve the "focus" of music albeit no where near the degree of the S-M or Cullen Mod, but is considerably less expensive, especially on the used market.
The Cullen Mod ZP 90 and Empirical solutions achieve essentially the same excellent results. I find a Cullen Mod ZP 90 through a S-M vs straight in to the DAC to be identical, suggesting very low jitter from the Cullen Mod.

System used: Mac Book Pro server-> Sonos Bridge-> (re clocker)-> Grace m902-> Senn HD600 or-> W4S ST 500-> Zu Omen

audioengr

« Reply #195 on: 21 Sep 2013, 05:48 pm »
I purchased a Syncro-Mesh (24/96) shortly after introduction for use with my Sonos system. I find the soundstage, imaging, note timbre and decay markedly improved. Really an outstanding addition. I find no difference between the Red Book CD and the ALAC rip via Sonos and the S-M.

I have also used both the Monarchy DIP and the Cullen Mod ZP 90. Briefly, the Monarchy solution does improve the "focus" of music albeit no where near the degree of the S-M or Cullen Mod, but is considerably less expensive, especially on the used market.
The Cullen Mod ZP 90 and Empirical solutions achieve essentially the same excellent results. I find a Cullen Mod ZP 90 through a S-M vs straight in to the DAC to be identical, suggesting very low jitter from the Cullen Mod.

System used: Mac Book Pro server-> Sonos Bridge-> (re clocker)-> Grace m902-> Senn HD600 or-> W4S ST 500-> Zu Omen

Are you using a Hynes supply on the SM?  If not, this should make it pull ahead of even the Cullen mod.  I will have this new supply available, the "Dynamo", by year end.

Steve N.

Pzwief

« Reply #196 on: 23 Sep 2013, 11:09 pm »
Any idea of cost for the Dynamo?

audioengr

« Reply #197 on: 24 Sep 2013, 02:00 am »
Any idea of cost for the Dynamo?

I just finished the BOM for it and it looks like $629.00.  I had hoped to do $599, but raw parts cost before assembly and test is about $400.

Steve N.

andrewd01

« Reply #198 on: 26 Sep 2013, 06:22 pm »
I just finished the BOM for it and it looks like $629.00.  I had hoped to do $599, but raw parts cost before assembly and test is about $400.

Steve N.

Steve, will the Dynamo also be able to power an Offramp? 

livengood1

« Reply #199 on: 26 Sep 2013, 11:06 pm »
" I will have this new supply available, the "Dynamo", by year end.

Steve N."

I, for one, will be eagerly in line for the Dynamo as soon as I get my tax refund. I am already very happy with this amazing product (with one major exception--now that I am using a Wireworld Supernova glass cable for the Toslink "out," there is no room to fit a Toslink"in" cable--not a good thing. But it sounds so good that I can deal with the inconvenience). Classical music with the Synchro-mesh is almost like being in the concert hall--many times it takes my breath away. My guests who hear it always think that I have the surround system on!