Big7 tube shootout!

silverlight

Re: Big7 tube shootout!
« Reply #60 on: 26 Jan 2015, 02:55 am »
So re the WE 101D metal base versus the PSVane 101D metal base replica's, definitely a very different sound.  Tried the psvane tonight for the first time, and so have to warn they're not burned in.  I had them run for a few hours before listening, but I'm sure they'll need more.  The psvanes are definitely more detailed in the highs (more extended) and there's more bass and deeper - more technically perfect for sure.  Much more "modern" or closer-to-solid-state type of sound (not judging this as better or worse).  However the ease and natural presentation of the original WE's is my personal preference, and the soundstage and greater depth to the presentation is seductive (and the sound has a meatier, more emotionally impactful sound).  The psvanes in my system sound more like hi fi playback, audiophile award winners, but the old WE's brings a different "life" to the music.  Not as perfect, but extremely engaging and pushes me to my right brain and away from analysis.  All just my experience with this particular pair of tubes given their age and as has been pointed out, may or may not be predictable or extendable to another pair.  I'll test them with the Amplitrex here at some point here to get a sense for their output and how well matched they are.

wisnon

« Reply #61 on: 26 Jan 2015, 09:43 am »
Silverlight,

You are basically saying the same thing as AL, though you have different conclusions on what you both PREFER.

Nice to see this confirmation.

sleep_fox

« Reply #62 on: 26 Jan 2015, 02:31 pm »
Psvane 101d 1:1 replica and eml 5u4g are the default tubes in the new flagship golden gate. They are certainly among the best from tubes in current production. However, vintage tubes are always seductive.  :P

sfox7076

« Reply #63 on: 26 Jan 2015, 02:47 pm »
Anyone tried a super 45 (VT-52)?  I am not buying anymore tubes, but thought I would ask if anyone had any experiences with them.  I would ask someone who does to post.

So, this is what I have to sell (and will post this in the for sale forum in a few days).  Offers accepted.  Includes paypal and shipping in the US:

OSRAM 5U4G tube (same internals as a U52.  Paper label is gone, so the tube is blank)  $150
Pair of RCA 45 Globe tubes $175 (generic boxes remaining)
Pair of NOS RCA 2A3 (Amplitrex tested and matched, but different year tubes. generic boxes.) $225
Pair of NOS Cunningham 6A3 tubes $125
Pair of GE 6A3 tubes $125 (generic box)
Pair of Sylvania 6A3 tubes $125

Maybe part with 1 pair of WE 101d ST shape (different years, same construction) make an offer.

Shawn

Shawn

ALRAINBOW

« Reply #64 on: 26 Jan 2015, 03:03 pm »
Lol I have a couple of pairs. They are ok but not winner along the lines of a 6a3. But now my B7 is new again with one Recti tube so I can try again lol. You need an adaptor as well. Of course I have them as well.
I can tell you about a tube I did not like. It's the carbon version of the 45 by Sophia electric. Nice tube but rolled off highs big time. To rolled off to me as in dull
They do not mJe them anymore from what I understand.
Al

sfox7076

« Reply #65 on: 27 Jan 2015, 02:29 am »
Withdrawing the 101Ds.  One to many low ball offers for me to deal with.

sfox7076

« Reply #66 on: 30 Jan 2015, 03:06 am »
Friend brought over some VT-52 tubes to try.  Data on the tube is here:  http://www.vt52.com/info/vt52/vt52_electrical.html.  I have tried them in 45 mode and 2A3 mode.  I think 2A3 worked better because of the added heater voltage.  Not as good as the 275A or 101D tubes I have used, but good in their own right.  I feel they compress the midrange slightly as compared to those tubes.  Not sure how much the VT-52s go for, but it has to be cheaper than the other Western Electric tubes. 

ALRAINBOW

« Reply #67 on: 30 Jan 2015, 09:50 am »
By structioner the 275A looks like the 6A3 cunninghams but a bigger inside. For the Cunningham globes or bottle new I both were nice but to relaxed for me.
The vt52 was an odd sound not plesing to me.  But I am at the odd end of the pool,in my taste . I like analitycal and detailed. It's what I call real again for me not saying its how we all should feel. So tubes that bring things forward and intense is my desire.  Less tube sound is where I am at.
Also the new revision of my B7 has chaged the tubes sounds a bit. Going from two to one recti and what ever else is done has changed the tube rolling sequence. They all still matter but no the same as before .

Just a few thoughts to add to this really cool thread. Let's keep,it going please .
Al

sfox7076

« Reply #68 on: 30 Jan 2015, 03:45 pm »
What rectifier are you using?  Oddly, I find that rolling the rectifier/tube combination actually matters.  A JAN 5U4G can sound better than the WE 274b with 6A3s. 

As I said in another thread.  I like a bit of technical, but I really want the sound to be there.  In your example of Elton John, I really want to hear the guitar string vibrations cutting the air.  That said, I don't want to lose the feel of the music for the sound of the pick.  I find the older 101Ds do that better for me.

The 275A is the WE answer to a 2A3 like tube (5v filament voltage).  I like it better than the 6A3s I have heard, but I haven't yet gotten to hear a pair of the Brimar 6A3s.  I may have found a single to complete my pair.  Now to actually by it.  Anyone here tried Brimar 6A3s? 

wisnon

« Reply #69 on: 30 Jan 2015, 08:36 pm »
Friend brought over some VT-52 tubes to try.  Data on the tube is here:  http://www.vt52.com/info/vt52/vt52_electrical.html.  I have tried them in 45 mode and 2A3 mode.  I think 2A3 worked better because of the added heater voltage.  Not as good as the 275A or 101D tubes I have used, but good in their own right.  I feel they compress the midrange slightly as compared to those tubes.  Not sure how much the VT-52s go for, but it has to be cheaper than the other Western Electric tubes.
Prices are close to 6A3. They are a 7v aviation tube at altitude and 6.3v at sea level.
« Last Edit: 1 Feb 2015, 11:19 am by wisnon »

ALRAINBOW

« Reply #70 on: 30 Jan 2015, 10:25 pm »
I tried them in the old B7. Not the new one
Ill try that over the weekend

sleep_fox

« Reply #71 on: 1 Feb 2015, 04:01 am »
My big7 should arrive soon.  :lol:

I've decided to go with Psvane 101D complete replica. There are NOS WE101D St for about $800/pair in my area but I am not sure about how it will perform. Many thanks to all for the inputs. My loudspeaker is DIY open baffle with Voxativ full range drivers with a bit help from dedicated woofers at the low frequencies. It is very relaxed, musical and dynamic and I guess it could handle a lot of details.

For the rectifier, my GZ32 should arrive soon as well. However, I am wondering how good a Psvane 274B complete replica (not the cheaper regular one) will be? Would it be close to the original? Anyone tried it already? I am trying to find a GEC U52 as well.

Thanks.

silverlight

« Reply #72 on: 1 Feb 2015, 04:17 am »
I have the psvane 101D replicas per above (metal base) and also have the psvane WE 274B replica.  I've not tried the latter yet, but can compare to the NOS WE274B (which I'm currently using as my benchmark) and provide some relative feedback.  Will put a few hours on it before listening and will provide a few notes.  Hopefully this weekend.

My big7 should arrive soon.  :lol:

I've decided to go with Psvane 101D complete replica. There are NOS WE101D St for about $800/pair in my area but I am not sure about how it will perform. Many thanks to all for the inputs. My loudspeaker is DIY open baffle with Voxativ full range drivers with a bit help from dedicated woofers at the low frequencies. It is very relaxed, musical and dynamic and I guess it could handle a lot of details.

For the rectifier, my GZ32 should arrive soon as well. However, I am wondering how good a Psvane 274B complete replica (not the cheaper regular one) will be? Would it be close to the original? Anyone tried it already? I am trying to find a GEC U52 as well.

Thanks.

sleep_fox

« Reply #73 on: 1 Feb 2015, 04:57 am »
Thanks, Silverlight.

Audioclyde

« Reply #74 on: 1 Feb 2015, 12:49 pm »
Sleep_fox,

Different equipment and you may have already seen it, but there is a long thread reviewing rectifiers over on Head-Fi--titled something like 'Dubstep girl's massive rectifier review'--where the WE replica Psvane 274Bs are very favorbly talked about.

Best,

Randy

sfox7076

« Reply #75 on: 1 Feb 2015, 01:13 pm »
They are good from my one experience with them.  That said a 40s Sylvania 274b is cheaper and is really nice.  Would imagine they are on par or close. 

ALRAINBOW

« Reply #76 on: 1 Feb 2015, 01:39 pm »
I think we all have our own perspective to what is good. There is a couple of pavane tubes I plan to purchase.
Also I am of the club that new made very close to real now as in ps vane replica are a better way to experience nostalgia in tube rolling and much cheaper . With that said tube rolling with real old nos or new nos if available is very much like playing vinyl . It's all about the past playing in the now . Something mythical or mystical. Was it really better then lol as we're older and I am going on 58 it just had to be hahahahaha .
Al

sleep_fox

« Reply #77 on: 1 Feb 2015, 03:45 pm »
Randy, thanks. And yes I know the link. It is just too lengthy to follow.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/694525/dubstep-girls-massive-5ar4-5r4-5u4g-rectifier-review-comparison-rectifer-tube-rolling-thread

I did follow its recommendation on GZ32 but  tried Telefonken made instead (on the way). I am seeking U52 (too many versions) just in case that 101D replica gets too analytical (Well it may help, it may not, that is part of the magic that makes tube rolling interesting). I may try WE422A some time but the original WE274B is certainly hard to find and costs a lot. 

Sleep_fox,

Different equipment and you may have already seen it, but there is a long thread reviewing rectifiers over on Head-Fi--titled something like 'Dubstep girl's massive rectifier review'--where the WE replica Psvane 274Bs are very favorbly talked about.

Best,

Randy

Audioclyde

« Reply #78 on: 1 Feb 2015, 03:55 pm »
I'm running a Sylvania JAN 274B in my amp and really like it; so much so I bought a back up.  Not inexpensive but awfully good.  I actually prefer it in some ways to the more expensive EML 274B mesh that I also have.

I have 1 Wycombe fat bottle cv378, and hope to find a mate as I will need two when my SET mono's that are being made right now arrive.  I had a GEC U52--sounded great but shorted out on me, so I'm leary going that way given the cost of a pair.

sleep_fox

« Reply #79 on: 1 Feb 2015, 04:05 pm »
Ok. The talks about Psvane WE274B 1:1 replica is around here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/694525/dubstep-girls-massive-5ar4-5r4-5u4g-rectifier-review-comparison-rectifer-tube-rolling-thread/585

Looks like it is a great choice but it may need 200 hours of burning in.

:lol: