Schitty Story.....

adydula

• Restricted
Schitty Story.....
« on: 16 Mar 2018, 08:31 pm »
I have recently had some issues with my Schitt Audio R2R Bifrost dac.

For some reason after several months of flawless use, the sound from its outpuy stopped"outputting"...you can select via three pushbuttons on the front for different inout sources, USB Gen5, Optical and Digital Coax. When cycling thru these options the sound would stop coming out in the USB input.

This was after a recent send back for a AC type of humming which Schitt replaced a transformer..this fixed this issue.

After having this unit back after this fix for a week it started to have this no sound issue when cycling thru the inputs.

I sent Schitt a note, to Jason Stoddard himself and explained what was happening, and he replied quickly authorizing sending it back and possibly it was a intermittent usb board.

Schitt paid for the shipping back to California.

They could not reproduce the no sound failure, but replaced the motherboard and returned it after testing etc.\

Its been back for a week+ and has worked flawlessly....:>)

I have in the past been tempted to buy a dac from folks in China etc for the cost etc...but am very glad I did not.

Its one thing to have to deal with issues in the US, coast to coast etc....a week to send out, a week or so in test, a week back etc..imagine how wonderful this
experience could have been working with a international company. Not that there arent great dacs made "over" there....\

I have also been talked out of spending more money on their products.....(EITR USB to Coax vs USB out).

Schitt has always stood beside theirt stuff and their R2R dac works wonderfully....and when the USB Gen 2 stuff came out they upgraded mine at no cost!

So yes this is bean in their customer service jar...great products, fair prices, upgradeable....

Alex

Wind Chaser

Re: Schitty Story.....
« Reply #1 on: 16 Mar 2018, 08:43 pm »
Yeah, there's definitely an advantage to doing business close to home. Glad they got it all got sorted out.  :thumb:

Nordkapp

« Reply #2 on: 16 Mar 2018, 10:52 pm »
SCHITTACULAR!!!

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 17 Mar 2018, 12:20 am »
My experience with Schiit product support was also 110% satisfactory.

dolgen

« Reply #4 on: 17 Mar 2018, 05:16 am »
My Schiit Modi Multibit DAC is the best I've owned, and the cheapest!

walkern

« Reply #5 on: 17 Mar 2018, 01:59 pm »
I believe Jason & the Schiit group had some minor (occasionally some of the units would not lock to an input) issues with the first batch of Bifrost Multi units, and if I'm not mistaken they changed the mother board and tossed out a whole slew of old boards (and replaced the old board with a new one for anyone who'd had an issue).  Ya gotta love that sort of dedication to their customers. 

dB Cooper

« Reply #6 on: 18 Mar 2018, 04:36 am »
My Schiit Modi Multibit DAC is the best I've owned, and the cheapest!

That's what I have, and am very pleased with mine too. A steal in today's audio market.

DogsPart2

« Reply #7 on: 11 Apr 2018, 01:28 pm »
Very close to pulling the trigger on a new Lyr3 Multibit unit.

It is a finalist with the Gen 2 WooWA7.  The Woo is a bit more expensive, however I cannot ignore the Schitt multibit DAC and Warranty.

milford3

« Reply #8 on: 11 Apr 2018, 03:28 pm »
I concur owing Shiit gear.  I own the Modi Dac with the Lyr amp.  Great stuff. :thumb:

DogsPart2

« Reply #9 on: 20 Apr 2018, 01:25 am »
I purchased the Woo. They were extremely responsive and took the time to answer my questions.

Schitt never responded to any of my requests. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #10 on: 20 Apr 2018, 03:35 am »
I am surprised so many defects in the same brand, for sure I would not praise the brand for the good repair service. In the lasts years has being frequent appear transport and DAC defects, in the CD old days it was rare with mainstream brands.

In the late 1990s I was hearing a Sony distributor talk with some elders music lovers(mainly opera on TV) and in the mid of talk he said:

-Now we are working with the 4TH quality of parts.
There was a silence in the room, my ear exploded with it and I ask him:

-How so? I asked more details and he said prompt:
-We were working with parts of 5Th grade, now we are using parts of fourth grade! (TV parts mounted locally)

So I asked: but it is not too low, what are the other levels?
-The first grade of parts goes to military equipment, satellites, Nasa stuff.

-The second grade parts goes to hospital equipment industry and commercial communications industry in Japan and USA, kind of mainframe IBM stuff.

-The third quality parts goes to general industry in US/Euro and available to high-end audio industry as Krell, Levinson (at the time).
My jaw dropped...

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #11 on: 20 Apr 2018, 10:42 am »
From what little I know about quality standards for electrical parts the differences is in testing.  Many have no quality control testing done.  The higher grades have more testing.  Hospital grade duplex wall receptacles for example are 'grip tested' to see how heavy of weight will stay connected when hanging from the receptacle.  Other standards are developed by manufacturing associations to promote their products.  Most of those standards are a mickey mouse.

geowak

« Reply #12 on: 20 Apr 2018, 05:08 pm »
I have had a good experience with Schiit Audio. I first had a Bifrost DAC and opted to get the Uber upgrade. They sent the board and I put it in. The sound improved and I may get the Multibit upgrade.
Keep in mind with regard to failed parts, Schiit has always stated they want to keep their gear affordable. Therefore the budget gear they make probably generates more sales, leading to higher numbers and more failures. The real test is how they treat customers when someone has a problem. I have not noticed bad customer comments, they must be standing behind the products and fixing whatever needs fixing. They stated they may not offer DAC or streaming device with MQA. If they did offer a DAC with MQA capabilities, I might snatch it up. I think these guys are really good engineers.
BTW do you guys make a digital reclocker?