Amp advice for Maggies newbie

kylevuong19

Amp advice for Maggies newbie
« on: 27 Jul 2015, 01:07 pm »
Hi guys,
I've recently stepped into Maggies world for 2 weeks. I've been a fan of KEFs and was using LS50. Then I was poisoned by a friend and decided to sell the KEFs to get the MG12 (a good start I believe).
I'm running MG12 with Peachtree Audio Nova 125SE, which can power 200wpc to 4ohm (according to their spreadsheet). However I kinda feel it's not powerful enough, I normally have the volume at 11-12 o'clock (with the KEF LS50 it's normally 9-10 o'clock). I read some discussion about the Maggies around the net and people say Maggies need high current amps, not only watts. Therefore I'm writing this to ask you guys about the upgrade path for my current system.

- Any of you have been using a Class D amp with similar specs to drive Maggies? and are you happy with the sound quality?

- If I stick with the Peachtree Nova 125 SE (I prefer this because it has very good DAC), I can add a power amp to it (it has pre out) to give it more power. Which power amps will you suggest? Mono blocks, tube power amps ?

- I heard a lot of good reviews about Maggies and Tube amps, can a 30-60watts tube amp drive the MG12 (maybe 3.7 in the future) nicely?

As a newbie I'm looking for more advice so please forgive my narrow knowledge.

Happy listening to all :)

Kyle

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Amp advice for Maggies newbie
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jul 2015, 12:45 am »
The only experience with Class D amps and Maggies I have is with a Crown pro amp which mates up really well with a darker sounding preamplifier - in my case, an old modified Carver C1 and MMGs.  That combo did not work out so well with a Sonic Frontiers and deHavilland preamp but was just the ticket with the Carver.
30-60 watts with a tube amp?  I dunno about that one.  I guess it depends on how loud you listen to music, what you listen to and how large your listening space is.
I use 250 watt monoblocks with my 3.7s and when I get my old 300s back the 250s are being moved to the 1.7s.
Too much power is better than not enough.

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jul 2015, 01:20 am »
What is your budget?

Davey

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jul 2015, 05:20 am »
Kyle,

The difference in volume control position is just reflecting the reduced sensitivity of your Magnepan's relative to the LS50's.  It doesn't necessarily mean you're lacking power from your amplifier.

Actually, 12 o'clock is a preferred position for volume controls...but for other reasons.  (That's another subject.)

If your concern is being under-powered then why would you consider a 30-60 watt tube amp....which is less powerful than your existing amp?  :)

I think your present amplifier is probably fine for your application.  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Cheers,

Dave.

kylevuong19

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jul 2015, 10:53 am »
@SteveFord: thanks for sharing your opinions. To answer your question, I listen to vocals, jazz and a bit of classic, my listening room is a living room (4 x 6 metre).
@Nightfall: I'm aiming for a pair of mono blocks (Emotiva, Xindak..) for <$2000. If tube power amp I will definitely stretch out.
@Davey: There is nothing wrong with the current system. I think tube amps are always high-current and it suits the Maggies better, that's why I want to change... maybe I just stick with it for now as your advice "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I'm looking for more opinions on running Class D amps with Maggies...

Davey

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jul 2015, 02:16 pm »
It's kind of a cliche' that "Maggies love current."  However, practically, it's very simple.  The much lower efficiency requires higher power and the current requirement comes as a result of that.  They require both higher current and higher voltage.  There is a compression aspect to these speakers that doesn't exist in many others.  Many refer to this is a requirement to "eat power as the SPL rises."  That's a valid observation.

Regardless, a tube amplifier isn't inherently able to provide higher current than a solid-state (or Class D) amp.  Much depends upon the implementation.

I have used some Hypex UcD amps with my MMG's.  They work very well.
Some on this forum would designate the Hypex NC400 as the best amp in the world for Magnepans.  :)

Dave.

twitch54

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jul 2015, 02:35 pm »
Kyle, Davey and Steve have shed some good light on the subject for you IMO. With that being said and depending on your budget..................PASS amplification if $$ allows and Odyssey amplification for value, both of which are SS.

usp1

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jul 2015, 02:59 pm »
Another SS amp you should consider is the McCormack. I have tried the older DNA-1 and now have the DNA-2 and both work very well with the Maggies. The older used models are hard to find, but the new DNAs are widely available.

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #8 on: 28 Jul 2015, 04:07 pm »
Check this out.  I use a 400R for my 1.7s but they are out of your price range.

http://www.avahifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=165&Itemid=254

mcgsxr

« Reply #9 on: 28 Jul 2015, 04:14 pm »
Happy user of the MMG's and the Crown XLS 1500 here.

I had the Crown prior to buying the MMG's.  Not changing amps.  I might look for a preamp, but the speaker/amp synergy is there for me.

johnto

« Reply #10 on: 12 Nov 2016, 05:23 pm »
I'm using a Parasound 2.1 with Magnepan 1.7 couldn't be happier wonderful sound stage everything you would want. Great built in preamp section to with phono mm&mc .

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
« Reply #11 on: 17 Nov 2016, 02:10 pm »
I have been using Musical Concepts SS amps with various Magnepan models for years now. I often try other amps in my system (never tried class D) and always return to my Hafler/MC amps.
If value is a concern, John's gear (not just amps) is a great place to start.

Dieter

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #12 on: 17 Nov 2016, 03:02 pm »
  Your Peacthree is just fine. Plenty of power. Listen for awhile, let the speakers burn in. If you are still looking after that it becomes a matter of budget as well as improvement for money spent. IMO you will have to spend allot more to clearly beat the Peachtree. Really good for the money.
   You may consider a tubed preamp or just better your front end. If you desire to look anyway start with, Classe, Parasound, Bryston and Arion. For Tubes only the big boys like VTL, CJ or Audio research. Big money though.
   One of audio club members uses the same Peachtree as you and his system sounds just dandy.

charles

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #13 on: 17 Nov 2016, 03:06 pm »
After a year and a half the op has likely made his decision by now, just sayin.

And after re-reading my post, I see I forgot to add that the advice posted is very good, so it'll be used by somebody, perhaps not the op...  :roll: 
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2016, 03:30 am by Letitroll98 »