Which headphone amp you own?

cryoparts

Re: Which headphone amp you own?
« Reply #40 on: 10 Apr 2011, 05:07 am »
Finally got around to shooting some pics, here's one.  Yes, I am crazy...   :duh:  I also have a Blossom balanced amp on my workbench, and some other amps somewhere...

Peace,

Lee

TrungT

« Reply #41 on: 10 Apr 2011, 05:21 am »
^^^^^
 :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
 :thumb:
Very nice.

cryoparts

« Reply #42 on: 10 Apr 2011, 05:22 am »
They all have their strengths and weaknesses, and some match different cans better than others, it would be hard to pick a favorite.

For those of you with multiple amps, it would be nice to know if you have a favorite or tend to listen to some more than others, strengths, weakness, etc.. 

Much appreciated...

timjthomas

« Reply #43 on: 10 Apr 2011, 08:24 am »
Meier Concerto at work.

Mapletree Ear+ Purist HD100 (the finest headphone amp I have ever heard) at home.

PA2V2 for travel.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #44 on: 10 Apr 2011, 09:21 am »
Lee--yep your nuts.....LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Very cool  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #45 on: 10 Apr 2011, 10:10 am »
Lee,
A little birdie told me that you like headphones.
Is that true?
Very impressive to say the least. 

2gumby2

« Reply #46 on: 10 Apr 2011, 10:58 am »
I have two headphone amps from Electric Avenues. It's amazing how good these things are, and inexpensive too.
http://www.electric-avenues.com/amplifiers.html

mcgsxr

« Reply #47 on: 10 Apr 2011, 01:06 pm »
In addition to the Millett Max Hybrid and Fiio e5, I just picked up a Grant Fidelity DAC 09.  Should be fun!

PeteG

« Reply #48 on: 10 Apr 2011, 01:58 pm »
They all have their strengths and weaknesses, and some match different cans better than others, it would be hard to pick a favorite.

Lee,
Very nice setup.

cryoparts

« Reply #49 on: 10 Apr 2011, 04:55 pm »
Thanks guys, and yes I'm nuts.   :duh:  Those are all in my office at work, I keep them handy for the long "computer days", and I can't go sit in front of one of the speaker systems.

FYI--here is what is there: 

Amps: Woo Wa22, Singlepower PPX3, Singlepower PPX3 Slam, Singlepower MPX3, Eddie Current Equilibrato, Eddie Current Zana Deux. All have crazy upgraded and cryo'd tubes. Blossom with Kingrex supply out of pic on desk (now on workbench).

Digital: Sonicweld Diverter 192, Antelope Audio Zodiac Gold w/Voltikus power supply. Locus Design USB and digital cabling.

Source: iMac with Amarra

Power stuff: Locus Design and CryoParts cabling, CryoParts and Isotek Nova filtering.

Interconnects: Locus Design and CryoParts

Headphones: Beyerdynamic T1, Ultrasone Edition 10, Ultrasone Edition 8, Sennhesier HD800, Sennheiser HD650, Sennheiser HD600, Grado PS1000, HifiMan HE6, Denon D7000. Shure 840, Ultrasone Zino, and Marshall cans out of picture--these three are used direct out of iPad.

Headphone Stands: Beautiful hardwood stands by Audio Elegance (Jeff Dicks); "standman" here on AC.

cryoparts

« Reply #50 on: 10 Apr 2011, 04:57 pm »
Lee--yep your nuts.....LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Very cool  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Told you I needed another headphone amp like I needed a hole in the head! :lol:

cryoparts

« Reply #51 on: 10 Apr 2011, 04:57 pm »
Huh, headphones?  What are they?   :lol:

Lee,
A little birdie told me that you like headphones.
Is that true?

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #52 on: 10 Apr 2011, 05:06 pm »
Lee--Honestly and not ball busting because I could easily collect as many or more but do you think some have like less than an hour on them, or do you rotate for fun and keep informal track of what you listened to last and which ones maybe not so much and then listen to them...I'd be like a kid in a candy store and actually try to listen to every amp with every set of cans looking for the elusive---SOUND!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

cryoparts

« Reply #53 on: 10 Apr 2011, 11:46 pm »
Lee--Honestly and not ball busting because I could easily collect as many or more but do you think some have like less than an hour on them, or do you rotate for fun and keep informal track of what you listened to last and which ones maybe not so much and then listen to them...I'd be like a kid in a candy store and actually try to listen to every amp with every set of cans looking for the elusive---SOUND!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I am mostly into headphones for fun (I don't offer any for sale), so I don't obsess over the details like I do with stuff I actually offer for sale, I try to keep it light and not overthink things so headphone listening stays a "hobby" for me. 

I tend to fixate on one pair of cans for a week, or so, and then try it with the different amps, to see which matches the best, then listen for fun.  I know what I think sounds good together, but as far as keeping a list, or such, not really. 

I do listen critically to a well matched amp/can when I am designing a new cable, or such, as it gives me a different perspective that listening over the "big rig" loudspeaker based stereo.  But as soon as that project is done, I try to go back to listening for enjoyment to the cans.

toocool4

« Reply #54 on: 11 May 2011, 10:46 am »
Wow Lee nice collection. Cool. 8)

I only listen to headphones or in my case IEM’s on the move. I use Ray Samuels P-51 Mustang to drive my Etymotic ER-4S from either Sony Walkman D6C, DC2 or DD9 cassette players.

« Last Edit: 19 Jun 2011, 12:49 pm by toocool4 »

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #55 on: 11 May 2011, 03:57 pm »
Seeing as how I just can't seem to find the time to build my Bottlehead Crack amp, I decided to get something to use in the interim instead of my silvera-era Pioneer amps and receivers. Wanted something inexpensive, so I got one of these cMoy amps from JDS Labs (www.jdslabs.com)... supplied tweaked at no extra cost for extra gain with my HD650 or DT990-600 cans and running an external linear power supply I had sitting around:

Still burning in, but I like it so far. Also bought a different opamp to see how that might change the sound (haven't tried it yet).

milford3

« Reply #56 on: 11 May 2011, 05:24 pm »
The Schiit "Vahalla."  I love this Schiit.  Best sounding piece of Schiit I've heard. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

KingStyles

« Reply #57 on: 12 Jun 2011, 05:27 am »
I used to have a RWA Isabellina HPA, but now I am using the Eddie Current Balancing Act.

Guy 13

« Reply #58 on: 12 Jun 2011, 06:04 am »
Hi all Audio Circle members.
For my Sennheiser HD-570 (30 Ohms) headphones,
I use my Decware SE-84C+ (2WPC/8 Ohms output)
and it works fine for me.
Later in time, I would likle to buy the Hi-Fi Man HE6 (?)
with their dedicated amplifier
and/or
Beyer Dynamic ST-990PRO with the Schiit tube amplifier.
Anyone have something to say/share on my futur choice ?
Guy 13

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #59 on: 16 Jun 2011, 11:48 pm »
Later in time, I would likle to buy the Hi-Fi Man HE6 (?)
with their dedicated amplifier
and/or
Beyer Dynamic ST-990PRO with the Schiit tube amplifier.
Anyone have something to say/share on my futur choice ?
Guy 13

Tube or SS?

Lee, im feeling jealous now...thats a dream setup!!