Speakers for NuPrime IDA-16?

Re: Speakers for NuPrime IDA-16?
« Reply #40 on: 16 Feb 2016, 03:33 pm »
I know you recommend me to test my IDA-16 with speakers ratere the buy it and make up my mind when I get it home. I have a little problem, it is not so easy to travel from north of Norway to Oslo and it is rater expensive. The distance is the same as from New York to Florida.

I occasionally  have some job traveling to Oslo. If I got time I visit hifi-store and listen to speakers and other stuff. I find it rather intersting  :)

I therefor appreciate all your help and i understand that i maybe should raise my budget.  I now got a new offer, it is a new bookshelf speaker (Dynaudio Focus 160) new price in Norway $2000) if I buy it i will get it for $1200. It is brand new with a discount.

Do you have comments to this speakers if you campare it with Monitor Audio PL100

Here is a review

http://www.whathifi.com/dynaudio/focus-160/review
« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2016, 08:38 pm by 007 »

rustydoglim

« Reply #41 on: 16 Feb 2016, 05:30 pm »
Dynaudio is known for its studio monitor quality and I have heard their entry level model and very impressed with it. It looked similar to this one.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #42 on: 16 Feb 2016, 08:34 pm »
The Dynaudio Focus 160 looks good on paper.

bh46118

« Reply #43 on: 17 Feb 2016, 01:07 am »
I'm using my IDA-16 with the PSB Image B25, the two sound excellent together. I got the itch for a pair of LS50s when KEF had them on sale for the holidays, after driving to Indianapolis to hear a pair, I kept the PSBs. I've always believed the Linn philosophy of the source, preamp, amp, speakers hierarchy, if the info isn't there at the beginning, it won't be there at the end. I suppose you can substitute DAC for turntable, arm, and cartridge, in a digital system. Some of the fantastic budget speakers available today will sound amazing with the 16, I'm sure you could also hook it to $200,000 speakers and it would rise to the occasion.

mervinpearce

« Reply #44 on: 17 Feb 2016, 02:00 am »
I have been driving a few combinations on my IDA-16 which includes the Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor, Vivid Audio V1.5, Wilson Audio Puppies 5.1, and throwing in the mix some B&W CDM1NT and they all are very happy being driven by the NuPrime. I had the privilege to go home for the weekend (travel a lot) and uncrate my Vivid Audio B1 and connected them to my newer NuPrime addition (2 x STA-9 and the DAC-9) as depicted in the picture. After a few hours intensive listening I connected the Vivid Audio B1s to the IDA-16 and the rest of my Sunday and Monday was spent with that combination.  For me the Vivid Audios really work so well with these digital amps and it will be difficult to upgrade from the IDA-16 and Vivid Audio B1.

Difficulty here is that some compare cost of speaker to amp but the cost of the NuPrime IDA-16 is so low but it performs like a much more expensive system.

bh46118

« Reply #45 on: 17 Feb 2016, 02:44 am »
Wow, you really put it to the test, sounds like it came through with flying colors.

drumnman2

« Reply #46 on: 17 Feb 2016, 01:14 pm »
Hi. Could you please compare the differences between the 2 sta-9's and Dac-9 against the IDA-16 as I am considering the former set-up, thanks.

mervinpearce

« Reply #47 on: 17 Feb 2016, 01:40 pm »
Hi. Could you please compare the differences between the 2 sta-9's and Dac-9 against the IDA-16 as I am considering the former set-up, thanks.
The STA-9 has a 'warmer' sound more similar to the IDA-8 than the lean (and with respect) of the IDA-16.  The DAC-9 used as a DAC alone (there is a volume setting noted where the gain will be 0 on the signal path) is open and punches above my Wyred4Sound DAC2.  I am the 2nd owner I know of selling their W4S DAC2 after buying the DAC-9

Before I got back to my home country I had the 2 x STA-9 and DAC-9 delivered to a friend who was kind enough to give them some burning in time.  This was his take.

"Listened a bit last night with DAC-9 as DAC and single ST-9.
Very pleasing slightly warm sounding and yes much like the IDA-8.

So this morning around 2 am I did the following DAC-9 as DAC & Pre with 1 X STA-9.
Oh Wow this works for me big time.The Nuprime kit goes so well together and I experienced lovely deep bass with nice highs and wonderful midrange. Separation of instruments is good,lovely pin point imaging with a nice feeling of being there soundstage. Yes very much like the IDA-8 with a bit more power and control.
Will bridge amps a little later and looking forward to that but first I want to try this on my Maggies."

I played as a single stereo unit and the sound is warmer than the IDA-16 and even in stereo the control is really tight.  Using it in bridged mode, there is the same SQ but just more control. I am keeping my IDA-8 for a small system, the 2 X STA-9 and the DAC-9 and the IDA-16 will be doing duty between different Vivid Audios I have.  The small V1.5 and then the B1s.

The feedback locally in our market was that one person found the IDA-16 lean on the Kef LS50 and I think actually the STA-9 combination would do better.

Nice thing about the DAC-9 is that you can use both XLR and RCA output if you would like to connect a subwoofer.  I use 2 x B&W PV1 subwoofers with the Vivid Audio V1.5 to fill the bottom end.  The IDA-16 also has RCA out for subwoofer but it is not often you get stereo systems with 2 out for Subs

My final take is that it really depends on your speaker selection but you cannot go wrong with both.

bh46118

« Reply #48 on: 17 Feb 2016, 06:06 pm »
So is it better to pair a lean amp with warm speakers or vise-versa. I would assume the IDA-16 would out resolve its less expensive stable mates regardless of their tonal character ?

rustydoglim

« Reply #49 on: 18 Feb 2016, 12:12 am »
It still depends on personal preferences. IDA-16 is very neutral due to the amp and ESS DAC.
I think there is a difference between "warm" and "tube sound". 
ESS 9018 (and all its variety) DAC is clean and neutral, which some people don't like.
AKM4409EQ DAC is warmer than ESS.

But STA-9 is really designed to mimic the sound characteristic of tube amp, i.e. it has more even harmonics.
Someone might like a little warmth, but not tube sound. But if you like tube, even if you have a warm speaker, you might still go with STA-9.

rustydoglim

« Reply #50 on: 18 Feb 2016, 12:14 am »
I have been driving a few combinations on my IDA-16 which includes the Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor, Vivid Audio V1.5, Wilson Audio Puppies 5.1, and throwing in the mix some B&W CDM1NT and they all are very happy being driven by the NuPrime. I had the privilege to go home for the weekend (travel a lot) and uncrate my Vivid Audio B1 and connected them to my newer NuPrime addition (2 x STA-9 and the DAC-9) as depicted in the picture. After a few hours intensive listening I connected the Vivid Audio B1s to the IDA-16 and the rest of my Sunday and Monday was spent with that combination.  For me the Vivid Audios really work so well with these digital amps and it will be difficult to upgrade from the IDA-16 and Vivid Audio B1.

Difficulty here is that some compare cost of speaker to amp but the cost of the NuPrime IDA-16 is so low but it performs like a much more expensive system.

From the photo it looks like IDA-8  :scratch:

JackD

« Reply #51 on: 18 Feb 2016, 12:40 am »
Think the three pieces in the photo are the three 9 pieces he just got.  Probably intended to show speakers he made reference to.

mervinpearce

« Reply #52 on: 18 Feb 2016, 01:16 am »
Think the three pieces in the photo are the three 9 pieces he just got.  Probably intended to show speakers he made reference to.
Correct, that is the IDA-8 as I was comparing that after playing the DAC-9 into the two STA-9s.  Then later it was the IDA-16.  Fortunate to have all the items for different rooms and the only challenge is to decide which speakers on which system.
@rustydoglim - of course my warm would refer to tube-like

« Reply #53 on: 19 Feb 2016, 05:02 pm »
The decision is made. I went for Dynaudio Focus 160. I'll guess I have to wait a week before the shipment arrive.

pixelmixture

« Reply #54 on: 19 Feb 2016, 08:26 pm »
Dynaudio Focus 160 is a very good choice !
i choose sonus faber venere 2.0 because they were front ported and the placement relatively to the rear wall is not ideal in my room.

lately i was really impressed by the sound quality / price ratio of Q acoustics products

John Casler

« Reply #55 on: 19 Feb 2016, 11:13 pm »
The decision is made. I went for Dynaudio Focus 160. I'll guess I have to wait a week before the shipment arrive.

While you received a lot of suggestions, it is, in the end, a personal choice based on listening preferences, listening environment, and the rest of your system.

I might think that quite often, we find that with higher quality components and speakers, that in the end, when seriously listening, that the qualities blend to produce sonics that take time to appreciate and sink in.

I have heard NuPRIME now with a wide array of speakers and sources, and haven't heard anything that actually would make me want to rush out and buy another speaker.  I certainly have my favorites, based on my preferences and environment, but when the source, the amp and the speaker are accurate and burned in, it is hard to go wrong.

In fact, tomorrow I am traveling with NuPRIME Electronics to audition a new High End Line, that I have HIGH HOPES for, and I want to hear it with my favorite gear.  I have been waiting for these for a long time, and have high expectations.

I will report, if they are a winner.

bh46118

« Reply #56 on: 20 Feb 2016, 01:33 am »
Has anyone heard the Peachtree D5, I've read some positive things about them, but haven't heard them myself.

rustydoglim

« Reply #57 on: 20 Feb 2016, 07:50 pm »
I'm using my IDA-16 with the PSB Image B25, the two sound excellent together. I got the itch for a pair of LS50s when KEF had them on sale for the holidays, after driving to Indianapolis to hear a pair, I kept the PSBs. I've always believed the Linn philosophy of the source, preamp, amp, speakers hierarchy, if the info isn't there at the beginning, it won't be there at the end. I suppose you can substitute DAC for turntable, arm, and cartridge, in a digital system. Some of the fantastic budget speakers available today will sound amazing with the 16, I'm sure you could also hook it to $200,000 speakers and it would rise to the occasion.

Yes, preamp is extremely important and few people pay attention to the preamp built into our DACs. Otherwise the NuPrime designed $99 Encore mDSD would be good enough (I now travel with mDSD all the time :)).

rustydoglim

« Reply #58 on: 20 Feb 2016, 07:51 pm »
Has anyone heard the Peachtree D5, I've read some positive things about them, but haven't heard them myself.

Inferior products should not be mentioned here  :wink:
Just kidding, except the inferior part. It is just my personal opinion ;)

srb

« Reply #59 on: 20 Feb 2016, 07:54 pm »
Inferior products should not be mentioned here  ;)

The Peachtree D5 is a speaker.