NuPrime Amp Comparison

pawsman

Re: NuPrime Amp Comparison
« Reply #40 on: 28 Sep 2017, 01:23 pm »
rustydog,
 I've been looking at the IDA-16, but you've mentioned the IDA-32 in passing and I wonder if this is a new model?'
Any specs yet?

pawsman

rustydoglim

« Reply #41 on: 30 Sep 2017, 10:50 pm »
IDA-32 is a completely different "beast", expected retail price about $4000, planned for Q1 2018.

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #42 on: 9 Oct 2017, 10:53 pm »
It has been updated. Note that STA-6's position on the warmth and texture.
It shares the same design as STA-9, but tuned toward neutral with slightly more details.
It is very simple to choose between these two: if you listen to classical and jazz music, pick STA-6. If you have a mix of all types of music and want to maximise the effect of explosion in a movie, go with STA-9.
Hi Jason,

Aparently, the sta-6 position on the chart did not survive the migration to the new site.  The chart showing on the new comparison chart is, once more, lacking the STA-6.  Also, it would be nice to see the IDA-6 as well there?

Thanks,
Rafa.

rustydoglim

« Reply #43 on: 10 Oct 2017, 10:15 pm »
thanks, added to the site.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #44 on: 10 Oct 2017, 10:52 pm »
Jason,

As long as you're adding amps to the chart, how about slipping the upcoming IDA-32 in?  :thumb: :D

rustydoglim

« Reply #45 on: 11 Oct 2017, 12:30 am »
We still don't know how IDA-32 is going to sound like.

Porter

« Reply #46 on: 23 Oct 2017, 08:57 pm »
Any comment on the sound of the STA-6 in bridged mono at 160W? It's the one amp combination/configuration that I haven't seen any commentary on. The STA-9 in mono mode is supposed to be excellent, and I'm wondering if the STA-6 benefits similarly.

mresseguie

« Reply #47 on: 24 Oct 2017, 03:46 am »
We still don't know how IDA-32 is going to sound like.

Jason,

I'll be in Taiwan beginning 11/13/17 until 01/25/18 and again from approx. 02/25/18 till 04/25/18. I'll happily volunteer to be a guinea pig for any listening trials. Shucks, I could even take one home to Taoyuan to play in my system.  :thumb:  8) :D

JackD

« Reply #48 on: 24 Oct 2017, 04:29 am »
Way to take one for the team Michael. :thumb:

mresseguie

« Reply #49 on: 24 Oct 2017, 04:45 am »
Way to take one for the team Michael. :thumb:

Thanks, Jack!  :lol: A guy's gotta be creative to get ahead in this world.

verderame

« Reply #50 on: 25 Oct 2017, 07:39 am »
Any comment on the sound of the STA-6 in bridged mono at 160W? It's the one amp combination/configuration that I haven't seen any commentary on. The STA-9 in mono mode is supposed to be excellent, and I'm wondering if the STA-6 benefits similarly.
I'm interested too about it.
There is a dynamic increase?

John Casler

« Reply #51 on: 25 Oct 2017, 05:56 pm »
I think Jason mentioned the the STA-6 is of a similar sound, to the STA-9.

That said, I have heard and used the STA-6 and found it exceptional for such an inexpensive amp.

Down side, is that it does not have XLR inputs if you require them.

Keep in mind bridged use of the NuPRIME Amps IMPROVE the sound and specs, opposite of conventional amps.

TheSpaghetto

« Reply #52 on: 7 Mar 2018, 08:44 am »
Hi everyone,

I would like to use HD-AVA as power amplifier of my Marantz 1608 which has front preouts, because of the interesting ADA price.
So I am not interested in the AV section, but in the Stereo part of it.

In the amp comparison page, the Stereo components of the AVA are not mentioned (for ex. Op Amp + Half Bridge + Switching) and no picture of the inside in the product page, but in the amp comparison chart it seems to have the similar sonic features of the IDA-16.

I have seen that "It is the same amp section as the IDA-16." in this thread.
But what about these features of the IDA-16, are these the same?: "the Switch-Mode Power Supply (SMPS) technology. For thundering, authoritative bass performance, the IDA-16’s innovative supply and its Cross-Matrix Array (CMA) capacitor bank"

On top of that why is the sound stage better and the texture worse?

Many thanks, I am about to buy one of the NuPrime amps, but figuring out which one...

Thanks

rustydoglim

« Reply #53 on: 13 Mar 2018, 03:24 pm »
HD-AVA and IDA-16 has very similar amp sound characteristic because they use the same amp module.
But obviously the power supplies are different, but that has secondary effect on the sound.
They also shared mostly the same DAC. But keep in mind that DAC design is not like a wheel of a car where you just swap the parts.
So HD-AVA will get you close to IDA-16 if you are using USB input.
The AV part is not easy to use (read manual and online FAQ thoroughly and you will be fine) but very good sounding, especially you can use it to play movies and music from external hard disk.

Jason

johnoz

« Reply #54 on: 30 Mar 2018, 11:19 pm »
Hi all,

I have just setup a DAC10H connected to NuForce Ref9v3SE monos.  The sound is incredibly detailed and amazing for Accoustic and blues but I'm finding it a little too accurate for Rock Music.  To get the sound I'm looking for for rock I'm going from a Squeezebox Touch through a Tube DAC and back into the DAC10H... A bi convoluted

I understand from reading that the Ref9v3SEs is a different design to the STA9 or STA10 and even the Ref20...
Just wondering 2 things before I make my next purchase...

1) where would you place the Ref9v3SE in the Amp comparison chart.  Is it closer to the STA9s or 10s

2). Will the DAC9 instead of the DAC10 with the Ref9v3SEs give a similar sound to a DAC9 and STA9 combination or do I have to go the full DAC9 and STA9x2 to get a true high end tube sounding solution?

Thanks in advance

John

rustydoglim

« Reply #55 on: 31 Mar 2018, 04:56 am »
The Ref 9* sound is similar to ST-10. ST-10 is an evolution from Ref 9V3SE.
The 9 series are generally warmer.
The upstream devices are the most important with regard to preserving the details and resolution, so if your music preference is acoustic, then DAC-10H is the right choice.
Problem is that rock music has a lot of sound effects (especially electric guitar) so you hear too much of the unwanted details with an accurate amp.

STA-9 will be a good choice to try since it is so cheap and good.
Or wait for the new MCX-2 and MCX-4 (2 and 4 channels amp) series coming out late April. They are more refined than the current MCH-K38, designed to be all-purpose high-end amp.

JackD

« Reply #56 on: 31 Mar 2018, 06:44 am »
The combination of the DAC-10/ST-10 will give you an "honest" representation of the music as the signal is presented to them. I use this combo everyday with Spatial M3 speakers and have for almost two years.  Changing your gear to make up for poorly engineered "Rock" music is folly.  There were only a half dozen "quality" engineers in Rock Music's hey day and most of them now are retired or extremely selective about the projects and artists they are involved with. If you are talking about current Rock music you are wasting your time as most of the production values are crap and there is nothing you can do about it as it is engineered to sound best on iPods with earphones. 

pewe

« Reply #57 on: 14 Aug 2018, 01:27 pm »
The Ref 9* sound is similar to ST-10. ST-10 is an evolution from Ref 9V3SE.
The 9 series are generally warmer.
The upstream devices are the most important with regard to preserving the details and resolution, so if your music preference is acoustic, then DAC-10H is the right choice.
Problem is that rock music has a lot of sound effects (especially electric guitar) so you hear too much of the unwanted details with an accurate amp.

STA-9 will be a good choice to try since it is so cheap and good.
Or wait for the new MCX-2 and MCX-4 (2 and 4 channels amp) series coming out late April. They are more refined than the current MCH-K38, designed to be all-purpose high-end amp.

Do you mean Nuforce Ref. 9 series or Nuprime STA-9? I have the DAC-9 paired with Nuforce Ref 9 V2's and planning to "upgrade" to STA-9, always been a fan of a warmer, "analogue" sound, even if this combination sounds excellent. I think, for me, that if I choose Nuprime ST-10 it will be more of a sideway move.

Also, do you have more info about the new MCX-2 and MCX-4?

rustydoglim

« Reply #58 on: 16 Aug 2018, 05:01 pm »
Ref 9v2 to ST-10 is a small upgrade, and with very similar sound characteristic.
For me, ST-10 is a better amp than STA-9 as I prefer my amp to be neutral and detailed.  STA-9 is warmer but less detailed than ST-10.

tudorbuda

« Reply #59 on: 3 Mar 2019, 11:43 pm »
Jason, i would like to know if passing form Dac9+2x Sta9 to a pair of Nuforce Ref 18 (and probably a Dac 10H) would be considered an upgrade.
Someone offered the Ref 18 pair in exchange for my Diy speakers (he wants to sell them for 2.200 euro, i wanted to sell my speakers for 2500).
I'm working on another set of speakers based on Accuton drivers, as a side info. Those can get really power hungry.