The Absolute Sound reviews the NuPRIME IDA-16 = Highly Recommended

John Casler

This just posted: 

EDIT: I forgot to post the link to the review, HERE IT IS.

The Absolute Sound reviews the NuPRIME IDA-16

Here are some significant portions:

I would describe the IDA-16 as a modern integrated amplifier. By that I mean it integrates the electronics most audiophiles use today: a DAC, preamp or control center, and a power amp. So all you need besides the IDA-16 is a source. (Well, OK, you need speakers and cables, too.) The DAC plays just about any computer-file format of interest to audiophiles, with five digital inputs—one asynchronous USB and four SPDIF (two on RCA coax, two on TosLink). In case a user has an analog source (like a phono system or a tape deck) there’s also a line-level analog input.

First a few details about the IDA-16’s circuit. It is based on a “self-oscillating circuit” to generate the pulse-width modulation (PWM) signal that turns the output transistors on and off. The switching frequency is a very high 600kHz, about double the speed of most Class D amplifiers. In this regard, the new switching output stage is an advance over those used in the original NuForce amplifiers. The power supply is a switched-mode type. Together with a Cross-Matrix Array (CMA) capacitor bank, the power supply can deliver very high current to the output stage on demand.

Equally interesting is the precision volume control, which uses a switched-resistor arrangement wherein only a single resistor is in the circuit at each of the control’s 99 positions (divided into 0.5dB increments).

The internal DAC uses the popular ESS9018 Sabre chip, while XMOS input chips are used for the USB input. OPA2134 chips are used in the analog section. Very low noise JFETs are used in the input section.

The built-in DAC is quite special, too. It plays PCM at sampling rates up to 384kHz and DSD256 (11.2MHz sampling rate). Although DSD256 is mostly a curiosity at this point, several companies now offer commercial DSD256 releases, and doubtlessly other companies will soon follow suit. (I just hope DSD doesn’t degenerate into a numbers game.)

The IDA-16 lived up to its claim of near-silence. The old ear-to-the-speaker-driver test produced—nothing. Nada. Zip. Total silence.

Yes, the NuPrime IDA-16 DAC/amplifier can indeed be called a bargain. Highly recommended.
« Last Edit: 17 Apr 2015, 04:00 am by John Casler »

John Casler

Just added the link to the review to the post above. . . . .DUH    :duh:

mcgsxr

Looks like a great integrated with built in DAC and DSD capable to boot.  Cool remote too!

I understand that it pushes 200wpc into 8ohm - what is the 4ohm rating? 

John Casler

Looks like a great integrated with built in DAC and DSD capable to boot.  Cool remote too!

I understand that it pushes 200wpc into 8ohm - what is the 4ohm rating?

Hi Mark,

I'll check, but I think that is 200wpc also

John Casler

Yes, I was correct, received the following from NuPRIME Technical:

"The power rating is still 200W @ 4ohm for IDA-16. 
This is by design that IDA-16 is capable of capping the 200W @ 8 ohm or 4 ohm."

JackD

John

Is that the same with the ST-10 also, same power rating for both ohm ratings.

John Casler

John

Is that the same with the ST-10 also, same power rating for both ohm ratings.

Yes, that is correct.

I might mention a special "bundle/package" available right now, on the IDA-16, the DAC-10/DAC-10H, and the ST-10.

PM me for details.