DIY Speaker Builders' Meet - Saturday, Jan 18th, Houston

FredT300B

• Facilitator
The DIY Speaker Builders' meet is at my house in the West Houston suburbs on Saturday, January 18th. It will be a very informal get-together with no set agenda or competition, etc. Just an opportunity to see, hear and admire everybody's special handiwork. We'll have two systems set up. Downstairs will be a solid state system with an Onix CD player, a Krell 200w/ch amp, and whatever speakers you want to hear. Upstairs will be a tube system with an EL34 tube amp and your choice of vinyl, CD or SACD source. DIY designs and kit-built designs are welcome. I'll post directions and other details as the date approaches.

FredT300B

• Facilitator
Re: DIY Speaker Builders' Meet - Saturday, Jan 18th, Houston
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2014, 04:04 pm »
We plan to start at 10:00, but you don't have to be here that early. We'll order pizza for lunch, so bring $5 if you want some. Here's one of the DIY speaker pairs we'll hear:

FredT300B

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 7 Jan 2014, 08:03 pm »
Upstairs we'll be listening to higher efficiency speakers using a 40w/ch EL34 amp, with the option of CD's, SACD's or vinyl. Shown here, but barely visible in the glare from the windows, are "The Chairs", OB speakers using Dayton Audio 8" full range drivers with H-frame Eminence Alpha 15's doing the bass.

FredT300B

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 11 Jan 2014, 09:05 pm »
The speaker builders' meeting is at my house starting at 10:00 AM on Saturday, January 18th. We'll have a low power EL34 tube system and a high power Krell solid state system available to suit a variety of speakers. I'll supply snacks, soft drinks, bottled water and beer. We'll order pizza for lunch; if you would like some, bring $5 to toss into the kitty. Here are the directions:

From I-10, take Eldridge Pkwy north approx. 4.5 miles. The first major cross-road is Clay Rd. Continue on until the next light, and turn right into Lakes on Eldridge. We'll notify the gate guards - so just tell them you’re going to Fred Thompson's House. Once inside the gate, make a left turn each time you come to a stop sign (there will be 4 of them). After the 4th stop sign and the 4th left turn you’ll be facing our house. It’s the two story red brick house up ahead with a red Nissan Rogue SUV parked in front. The address is 12110 Medina Bend Lane. If you get lost, call my cell at 281-381-8830 and a rescue party will be dispatched. If you have any questions before the event email audiofred@comcast.net for a quick reply.

We'll have a heavy duty hand cart available to move large heavy speakers. If your creation requires anything other than banana plugs or spade lugs please bring some kind of adapter to fit bananas to your inputs.

sebrof

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2014, 10:47 pm »
On behalf of the Austin contingent, thanks for a great time and the hospitality, Fred. Well worth the drive. Lots of good tunes and as always at your place the variety of speakers. Now we just need to figure a way to entice you to come up to Austin.   :thumb: