Optical input audio processor for basic TV setup

rob80b

Optical input audio processor for basic TV setup
« on: 14 Dec 2010, 12:41 pm »
Any recommendations for a basic box which takes the optical audio output from the TV and Apple TV for basic stereo output to my Bryston BP25P.

My current plasma has a line out which I connect to one of the line inputs on the BP25 but planning to maybe move up to a larger screen but they all only have an optical audio output.

Robert

Doublej

Re: Optical input audio processor for basic TV setup
« Reply #1 on: 14 Dec 2010, 01:00 pm »
You want a DAC with two Toslink inputs. Cambridge Audio makes one. What's your price point?

Stu Pitt

« Reply #2 on: 14 Dec 2010, 01:08 pm »
What he said.  There are a ton of DACs out there.  Which one is right for you depends on budget and sound preferences. 

rob80b

« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec 2010, 01:54 pm »
Seeing this last year was financially dismal, cheap but not too cheap as long as there is no latency, something small would be ideal.

I'm OK for watching Blu-rays as I just run the front line-outs from the player to the BP25P/4BSST and the rears to my BP60r.

Robert

rob80b

« Reply #4 on: 14 Dec 2010, 02:14 pm »
You want a DAC with two Toslink inputs. Cambridge Audio makes one. What's your price point?

Hi Doublej

Would that be the DacMagic http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summary.php?PID=320&Title=Summary ?

Doublej

Stu Pitt

« Reply #6 on: 14 Dec 2010, 02:29 pm »
A lot of people like the DAC Magic.  It's great for the money IMO.  I don't care much for it's presentation of music, but I'm sure I could easily live with it for 2 channel movies and TV.

If you're looking to use it for music as a main source, I'd look for better.  Your gear deserves it. 

rob80b

« Reply #7 on: 14 Dec 2010, 02:37 pm »
Thanks guys

So would any external DAC with Toslink work with the TV & Apple TV, if so didn't think it was that easy. :duh:

For music I've my BCD-1 and Rega P3. :D

Robert

BrysTony

« Reply #8 on: 14 Dec 2010, 03:13 pm »
If you are going to process the digital output from your TV externally you could run into lip sync problems with the video.
Tony

rob80b

« Reply #9 on: 14 Dec 2010, 04:09 pm »
If you are going to process the digital output from your TV externally you could run into lip sync problems with the video.
Tony

Would it be the same issue with the Apple TV (2010), with my current set the analogue out has no sync problems either from cable or the Apple TV, I rarely if ever watch broadcast TV so it'll be mostly Netflix, Podcasts and Youtube.

Robert

srb

« Reply #10 on: 14 Dec 2010, 04:31 pm »
Many, but not all TVs have an option in their setup to output a stereo signal via the optical S/PDIF output.  The normal consumer setup is to plug this into an optical input of an AV receiver, which can decode a multichannel Dolby Digital or DTS signal.

So make sure the TV has a stereo PCM output option, as external DACs cannot accept a multichannel digital signal (except for a few rare non-audiophile DAC gizmos).

Steve 

rob80b

« Reply #11 on: 14 Dec 2010, 04:50 pm »
Thanks for the heads up Steve, thats why I'm asking for recommendations, figured it was more complex than just hooking a dac from a transport or music server for music.
Here's another I came across http://emotiva.com/xda1.shtm ,of course if price was no object I'd go with Bryston's own BDA-1.

Robert

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #12 on: 14 Dec 2010, 06:49 pm »
the Emotiva indeed seems to be an interesting product at this price point!

al.

rob80b

« Reply #13 on: 14 Dec 2010, 08:45 pm »
the Emotiva indeed seems to be an interesting product at this price point!

al.

Looks like a new product yet to be shipped although there is a thread on it.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=86861.0
For a digital product I like the fact that it appears  to be mostly discreet components.

Robert

Phil A

« Reply #14 on: 14 Dec 2010, 10:02 pm »
I may end up with the Emotiva for the secondary basement system which also does not see tons of use.  MCM Electronics also has a cheap one - $118.99 and it will do 24/96

rob80b

« Reply #15 on: 14 Dec 2010, 10:04 pm »
Robert, you have an earlier PM from me.

Steve

Thanks Steve

Robert

rob80b

« Reply #16 on: 22 Dec 2010, 03:42 pm »
Anyone use or are  familiar with one of these, as mentioned it's just to run audio to my BP25P from my AppleTV v2 while watching Netflix and Youtube.

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=5279

srb

« Reply #17 on: 22 Dec 2010, 07:32 pm »
Anyone use or are  familiar with one of these, as mentioned it's just to run audio to my BP25P from my AppleTV v2 while watching Netflix and Youtube.

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=5279

I was looking at a similar Gefen product, but in my particular scenario, my HTPC outputs a multi-channel Dolby Digital signal from live or recorded TV to my Home Theatre 5.1 setup, and then on to another amplifier and speakers in an adjoining room via a Toslink digital connection.

Because I don't want to convert that HTPC digital output to a 2 channel PCM format, I was considering using a similar but slightly different mini-DAC gizmo from Gefen that can convert a Dolby Digital signal to an anlalog stereo output.

Gefen GTV-DD-2-AA
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=5980

Steve

rob80b

« Reply #18 on: 22 Dec 2010, 08:02 pm »

I was looking at a similar Gefen product, but in my particular scenario, my HTPC outputs a multi-channel Dolby Digital signal from live or recorded TV to my Home Theatre 5.1 setup, and then on to another amplifier and speakers in an adjoining room via a Toslink digital connection.

Because I don't want to convert that HTPC digital output to a 2 channel PCM format, I was considering using a similar but slightly different mini-DAC gizmo from Gefen that can convert a Dolby Digital signal to an anlalog stereo output.

Gefen GTV-DD-2-AA
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=5980

Steve

Hi Steve

I posted that one by mistake first, then modified my post.
From what I can gather they should work ok for basic audio converstion from a TV or in my case the AppleTV.

Robert

rob80b

« Reply #19 on: 3 Jan 2011, 05:55 pm »
Ok, just got my Gefen DAC to hook up to my Apple TV took about 2 minutes, pretty straight forward even comes with the optical cable, as far as watching movies from Netflix, sounds pretty good.
This is the basic stereo model so one would need to defeat the Dolby 5.1 on the Apple TV or a TV if you are coming directly from the set.

And all for $58.00 plus shipping.

Robert