..thinking about batteries

Rclark

..thinking about batteries
« on: 26 Aug 2011, 08:08 pm »
Ok so at this point adding a battery ps is about the only thing I can do to this amp now. As of now running an Astron LS-10a linear supply and I love it.

About the only advantage I can think of is maybe it might somehow bring less noise into the system(batteries) and that I'll have a lower power bill.

Other than that, is a battery kit going to be worth the $250? I could put that money into other places in the system.

srb

Re: ..thinking about batteries
« Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2011, 11:13 pm »
About the only advantage I can think of is maybe it might somehow bring less noise into the system(batteries) and that I'll have a lower power bill.

While we're waiting for some feedback from Virtue owners that have actually tried batteries vs. the Astron LS-10a power supply that you have, your power bill won't be any lower unless you're using a solar-powered, wind-powered or some other kind of battery charger that is powered by a free energy source rather than your power grid.

Steve

PSB Guy

« Reply #2 on: 26 Aug 2011, 11:29 pm »
According to this reviewer (http://www.sonicflare.com/archives/review-the-virtue-audio-sensation-m451-integrated-amplifier.php) there is a big difference in the noise floor when comparing the JT Dynamic PS and batteries. I would think the same would hold true for the Astron. Having recently switched amps from an M901 with the JT Dynamic PS to one with highly regulated, well designed power supplies (nameless out of respect to the circle), I would have to agree. Good power makes a huge difference.

Cornelis

Rclark

« Reply #3 on: 27 Aug 2011, 12:13 am »
From what I understand the Astron draws big power at idle. A charged battery is a charged battery right ? It's not going to keep pulling power like the linear. Just a guess on that.

srb

« Reply #4 on: 27 Aug 2011, 01:02 am »
From what I understand the Astron draws big power at idle. A charged battery is a charged battery right ? It's not going to keep pulling power like the linear. Just a guess on that.

First, I was not aware that the Astron is a regulated linear power supply.  The majority of linear power supplies used in audio amplifiers are capacitor-smoothed and not regulated, but the Astron is a general purpose supply that happens to be powering an audio amplifier in this case.

In addition, the Soneil is a relatively efficient switch-mode charger with automatic cut-off and true float.  So I have to reverse my thoughts on this and agree that you may be saving energy here!

Beyond the obvious downside of wearing out a battery and having to recycle it at end-of-life, a battery supply seems to have all positives relative to a noise free, ripple free output as well as being able to deliver greater transient peak current than any reasonably sized linear AC supply.

Still, it would be interesting to hear about comparisons between batteries and your specific model power supply.  I can understand not wanting to spend another $250 on a supply, but on the hand if the battery supply is better, you can probably recoup 65% of the Astron price on resale, as some people just don't want to mess with batteries.  I thought I was one of them, but now I'm not so sure.

Steve

Rclark

« Reply #5 on: 27 Aug 2011, 04:54 am »
Oh there's no way I would sell the Astron, I love that thing. It would be backup power.

Only really interested in battery if it's an enormous upgrade. If it's something I have to strain to notice, or that provides a minimal improvement, then I'd probably pass at this time and maybe try later on.

OzarkTom

« Reply #6 on: 30 Aug 2011, 12:40 am »
Batteries sure made my day in listening to the Sensation. I will never go back to AC.

RWA use to have a webpage on why batteries sound better, but I cannot find it anymore.

Rclark

« Reply #7 on: 4 Oct 2011, 05:44 am »
Well, batteries, charger, etc are en route. We shall see.

I will most definitely post a battery vs linear supply "shootout".

dboulet

« Reply #8 on: 4 Oct 2011, 06:25 am »
Rclark, did you order the Dodd battery kit from the Virtue site?

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #9 on: 7 Oct 2011, 01:26 pm »
Due to liability concerns, we will no longer sell batteries that are not sold with a fire-proof metal case.  If you want to save money you can buy your own batteries and charger.  We'll sell you the wiring harness and charger if you want turn-key, but it's not a finished product.

We had a scare with the Chinese chargers and at the time offered to upgrade any, for free, to Soneil (Canada).  If you are out there and have one of our blocky Chinese chargers (branded "Virtue") and have safety concerns about possible SLA over-charging, we'll upgrade it free; that's a standing offer.

Rclark

« Reply #10 on: 7 Oct 2011, 07:53 pm »
I think I have the soneil, looks like. Can I buy a fireproof case from you separately?

Spent about five minutes listening to it. Was busy so couldn't really gauge an improvement over the astron.

It did spit at me a bit (some distortions from the speaker) but my guess is it produces bigger peaks and i.needed to turn it down? I was at my normal 'loud' level so well see.

Rclark

« Reply #11 on: 7 Oct 2011, 10:06 pm »
 :o  wow!

Rclark

« Reply #12 on: 8 Oct 2011, 03:23 am »
 Batteries are amazing, everyone should run their amp on batteries, it's the best. Ls-10a is pretty close on many levels but needs aftermarket help (power conditioners, cables, etc) to possibly match it. It's bassier, more effortless, more detailed, more dynamic, blacker, liquid.

..... no, this is much better. I'm listening "critically" (lol), and the low level detail is astonishing! I thought I understood the term "microdetail" before, but I had no idea.

Bjammin

« Reply #13 on: 12 Oct 2011, 08:25 am »
I too am intrigued by batteries, but I'm running power hungry speakers (Mark & Daniel).  I use the JT Dynamic PS. I'm concerned about the drop from 30V to 24V.  Any comments on that?

Rclark

« Reply #14 on: 12 Oct 2011, 08:48 pm »
My Astron would be considered comparable to your supply, except that it's a big regulated linear supply and yours is a switching unit.

in every way the batteries are superior. And I have very power hungry speakers as well (Magnepans).  It really is the ultimate way to run these amps. I've tried the 30/90 as well.

Also, fully charged and on the charger, it's really up around 28 volts, but far more current than your supply and mine. You can tell by the better transients and the absolute lack of strain. Ear candy.

srb

« Reply #15 on: 12 Oct 2011, 09:13 pm »
My Astron would be considered comparable to your supply, except that it's a big regulated linear supply and yours is a switching unit.

The JT Dynamic power supply is not a switch-mode power supply.  It is a linear unregulated supply based on the Antek PS-3N30.

It is also a 10A unit, so aside from the regulated vs unregulated aspect, I would agree they probably give very similar performance, and one could probably assume that if you preferred the battery supply to your Astron you would likely also prefer the battery supply to the JT Dynamic.

Steve

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #16 on: 13 Oct 2011, 09:56 pm »

The JT Dynamic power supply is not a switch-mode power supply.  It is a linear unregulated supply based on the Antek PS-3N30.

It is also a 10A unit, so aside from the regulated vs unregulated aspect, I would agree they probably give very similar performance, and one could probably assume that if you preferred the battery supply to your Astron you would likely also prefer the battery supply to the JT Dynamic.

Steve

Steve
thanks for clearing that up.
Batteries do sound good and for the most part give you almost the same power.
I run 12ah batteries in my rig and can run them on my somewhat inefficient speakers for over 8 hours at good volume.

I've been trying to creatively fit these batteries and a charger inside one box but the cost is proving to be the kink in the project.
Once the Three shows up I'll have to put all 4 in a single enclosure.
I'm thinking of using smaller batteries (7 or 9ah) in a 6" x 5" x 12" enclosure but will need to find something practical for the enclosure.

Hopefully when the three is available ill have battery kits and linear psu's available.

romymartinez

Battery + earlier Virtue 2
« Reply #17 on: 15 Oct 2011, 02:01 pm »
Can someone guide me on how to use battery with my early Virtue Two (not Two.2)?

Thanks in advance!

Rclark

« Reply #18 on: 16 Oct 2011, 11:00 pm »
hey! It just plugs in like a normal PS. There's a plugin that goes to your charger as well.

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
Re: Battery + earlier Virtue 2
« Reply #19 on: 17 Oct 2011, 01:00 am »
Can someone guide me on how to use battery with my early Virtue Two (not Two.2)?

Thanks in advance!

we first need to make sure you have a soft start circuit before you can use batteries on your original Two.