New Keelins are in the house!

Merle

• http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/modules.php?op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=albums.php
« on: 26 Mar 2004, 01:07 pm »
The Fed-Ex truck delivered my new Keelins yesterday as promised. I was a little concerned as the wood crate they arrived in seems to have taken quite a beating on it's way across the country. Not to worry. The speakers were wonderfully packed with lots of padding and seperation between the two speakers. They arrived in perfect condition! I must say they are beautiful to look at, the grain in the oak veneer is quite attractive. Right out of the box, they sound great, having deeper bass than I would have expected and a very full, rich overall tonal quality. I'll post more on my thoughts about them as I get to know them over the weeks to come. For right now, I feel like I stole them for the price I paid! Nice work, Mike!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Apr 2004, 06:32 am »
Merle, How are the Keelin's working out ? Any new comments ? Thanks ! :)

Merle

• http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/modules.php?op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=albums.php
« Reply #2 on: 3 Apr 2004, 05:03 pm »
Hi Wolf,
I still haven't tried them in my "big rig" down in the basement. [CJ CAV50 / Naim 3.5w/Flatcap] I have been using them in my bedroom system with either a Jolida 502B or an Audio Refinement Complete. The Keelins work fine with either amp. Things I have noticed so far: They sound very full when played at low volume. [very important to me in the bedroom system!] The tweeter is very detailed and has no grain that I can hear. It's not as "sweet" as the Scanspeak tweeter in my Vienna Acoustic Bach's but it's very nice all the same. The twin woofers really put out some bass! The Keelin goes deeper than you would expect it to and is pretty punchy down below. In my bedroom, I am only able to get them around a foot or so away from the back wall. I believe this is adding to the bass response I'm getting. The midrange is fantastic. It is open, clear and fast. It may rival my Bach's in the midrange. [and I feel the Bach's are exceptional in this area] All in all, I feel the Keelin's are very well balanced across the board. For a $750 speaker, I don't see it having too many rivals. I feel you really need to live with a speaker for months to really get a feel for all it does right and all it does wrong. Also, please remember most of the listening I have done with the Keelin has been classical music at low volume. They excell in this type of set-up and I imagine they would do just as well playing loud rock. A good speaker should sound good with any type of music. The Keelin is a damm fine speaker.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #3 on: 4 Apr 2004, 03:16 am »
Thanks Merle for your comments !! :)

lonewolfny42

« Reply #4 on: 16 Apr 2004, 06:41 am »
Quote from: Merle
Things I have noticed so far: They sound very full when played at low volume >> The tweeter is very detailed and has no grain that I can hear. >> The twin woofers really put out some bass! >>  For a $750 speaker, I don't see it having too many rivals.  
Merle,
    All good points....that's what I'm hearing too ! And the soundstage and depth is really something. My room is only 12' wide....but it's wall to wall music....and no small sweet spot either. Mike, ya got a winner here, and at an excellent price !! 8) [/list:u]

Shamrock Audio

« Reply #5 on: 16 Apr 2004, 07:29 am »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
Quote from: Merle
Things I have noticed so far: They sound very full when played at low volume >> The tweeter is very detailed and has no grain that I can hear. >> The twin woofers really put out some bass! >>  For a $750 speaker, I don't see it having too many rivals.  
Merle,
    All good points....that's what I'm hearing too ! And the soundstage and depth is really something. My room is only 12' wide....but it's wall to wall music....and no small sweet spot either. Mike, ya got a winner here, and at an excellent price !! 8) [/list:u]

Thanks guys!

I don't make perfect loudspeakers, and certainly not at this price-point. However, I do try to make reasonable trade-off's. Thanks, again! I'm very glad that you like them.  8)