Master Set Revisited - 2019

timind

• permanent vacation
Re: Master Set Revisited - 2019
« Reply #80 on: 30 Nov 2022, 01:21 am »
Now I'm curious which Meadowlarks you're using. One of my all-time favorite speakers. Back when I was using a 12x12x8 spare bedroom I had a pair of Kestrels setup in a diagonal configuration. It was the best sound I could get in that room.

As to whether you can use the master set in a diagonal, that's a question for stvharr.

stvnharr

« Reply #81 on: 30 Nov 2022, 02:13 am »
Well, since you asked.......................
FWIW, I am not trained by Sumiko in this. Everything is just what I have learned on my own. So, while I post from my own success in doing the setup, it is just that and no more.
As to the diagonal set up of speakers and Master Set. It could possibly be okay I would think. You have to have the speakers in the "Decoupled zone" out from the wall and have the bass pressure matched - it would work.
My double check method with the mono disc is pretty definitive if you have the speakers in a matched position with regards to each other. At least I think so.
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2022, 10:02 pm by stvnharr »

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #82 on: 30 Nov 2022, 11:30 am »
Now I'm curious which Meadowlarks you're using. One of my all-time favorite speakers. Back when I was using a 12x12x8 spare bedroom I had a pair of Kestrels setup in a diagonal configuration. It was the best sound I could get in that room.

As to whether you can use the master set in a diagonal, that's a question for stvharr.

Shearwater Hot Rods.  Lovely speakers, a little on the polite side for me, and I like polite sounding speakers.  So I also have some Celestions, the opposite of polite.  And some PSBs, and some Snells, and some...

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #83 on: 30 Nov 2022, 11:33 am »
Well, since you asked.......................
FWIW, I am not trained by Sumiko in this. Everything is just what I have learned on my own. So, while I post from my own success in doing the setup, it is just that and no more.
As to the diagonal set up of speakers and Master Set. It could possibly be okay I would think. You have to have the speakers in the "Decoupled zone" out from the wall, not sitting on a room mode or null spot, and have the bass pressure matched - it would work.
My double check method with the mono disc is pretty definitive if you have the speakers in a matched position with regards to each other. At least I think so.

Thanks, still deciding what to do.

JMW73

« Reply #84 on: 30 Nov 2022, 01:50 pm »
I am trained by Sumiko... although it's been a few years.  :roll:

The great thing about the masters set, is you can do it anywhere.  You can even do it with surround systems, but that is a complex issue.

You can do it anywhere and all you need is your ears and that horrible song!  It helps greatly to have a partner.  I've posted about it before, possibly in detail. I've been experimenting with some other methods combined with masters and have had a great result.  It's an unrelated post, but I talk about it here:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=183828.0

stvnharr

« Reply #85 on: 30 Nov 2022, 10:11 pm »
Thanks, still deciding what to do.

I have been thinking about this since I posted yesterday. One thing you could try without too much difficulty is to move the right speaker to be back and up against the wall, turned it out as much as possible, likely parallel with the wall. Keep the left speaker in it's present position. Then just play something and see if you only hear the left speaker. That would emulate the process in the First Step. Depending on the results you could proceed with trying to find the best bass spot. Or just give it up.
I'm thinking this would likely work, but it would be hard to know without actually trying.

Also, I have made a couple small modifications in my previous posts. I have taken out references to placing speakers on modes and nulls spots. The posts in the AA instructions don't really mention that, so I shouldn't either. The italicized quote in Post #75 is the proper wording of what to listen for.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #86 on: 1 Dec 2022, 01:16 pm »
Thanks for the update.  I've already mapped out the 2D room modes back when I first moved in here a few years ago, so it wouldn't be difficult using them.  I've done this so many times in so many rooms over the years that is pretty formula for me now with placement, map the room and here's where they go, done.  But I always like experimentation and after some mishaps I thought I might do something different than just planting the replacement speakers in the same spots.

stvnharr

« Reply #87 on: 5 Dec 2022, 02:01 am »
I am trained by Sumiko... although it's been a few years.  :roll:

The great thing about the masters set, is you can do it anywhere.  You can even do it with surround systems, but that is a complex issue.

You can do it anywhere and all you need is your ears and that horrible song!  It helps greatly to have a partner.  I've posted about it before, possibly in detail. I've been experimenting with some other methods combined with masters and have had a great result.  It's an unrelated post, but I talk about it here:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=183828.0

Nice to have your input in the thread.
If it all was more interactive with people trying to do Master Set, your expertise would be very helpful indeed.

JMW73

« Reply #88 on: 5 Dec 2022, 08:31 pm »
Nice to have your input in the thread.
If it all was more interactive with people trying to do Master Set, your expertise would be very helpful indeed.

I think your descriptions are about as good as you can get online.  The in person experience was fairly intensive and we had to demonstrate the skill and then have a listening session based on our "set".

stvnharr

« Reply #89 on: 6 Dec 2022, 09:39 pm »
Thanks.

stvnharr

« Reply #90 on: 13 Feb 2023, 10:19 pm »
February Update:
I recently tweaked my MS speaker placement. I took out even more of the toe-in. I went down to 1 inch of toe-in. I then took some more out, but did not like the aesthetics, so I went back to the 1 inch setting. This is 1 inch of toe-in on a 9 inch wide speaker.
The effect was to open up the sound even more and make the left-right sound even wider than before.
The net effect of this with large group music, like orchestral and choral, is that it makes the sound very big. A large chorus now sounds like a large chorus. The string sound of a large orchestra now resembles the actual concert sound in a concert hall.
This is all a huge difference to me in my listening.
My original toe-in setting of about 2 1/2 inches didn't seem like it was all that much. But it did compress the sound into the center in a noticeable way. And taking the toe-in out, as I have done, has just made a mind boggling difference in the sound.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

stvnharr

« Reply #91 on: 20 Feb 2023, 12:09 am »
Newish Master Set video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Toiwe-Xe98

Some good points here, especially with regards to the importance of bass.