:thumb:

decal

Re: Why people play guitar...
« Reply #2 on: 20 Mar 2010, 09:49 pm »
yeah,yeah chicks rule!!!! :guitar:

fredgarvin

« Reply #3 on: 21 Mar 2010, 02:28 am »
My ears are ringing. And my amps only on 3.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 21 Mar 2010, 02:31 am »
Much more fun if you actually play something for them!  They act like groupies!  :)

jackman

« Reply #5 on: 26 Mar 2010, 03:17 pm »
Just checking.  I must admit, I have not recieved the reaction from the cartoon over the years.  Quite the opposite in fact.  Here are a few examples:

- WTF is that?
- Turn that crap down!
- (no words) Fingers in ears.
- (no words) wife pulls plug from amp (or cord from guitar).
- Flashing lights (I play in basement) or stomping on floor is hint to lower amp.
- Wife hides amp or distortion pedals. 
- Offers incentives for me to stop playing! (this is the closest I've gotten to the cartoon scenario!)

When I was younger, I could never figure out why women didn't find Metal music romantic.  Hmmm :?  That explains why the audience was 99.9% dudes at those Iron Maiden concerts in the 80's. 

fredgarvin

« Reply #6 on: 26 Mar 2010, 06:18 pm »
My wife never complains, but she usually goes out to the barn or something. When the kids were home I had a built in home band.
To be honest my experience says chicks like drummers.  :?

pjchappy

« Reply #7 on: 28 Mar 2010, 03:51 am »
I must admit, I have not recieved the reaction from the cartoon over the years.  Quite the opposite in fact. 

Well, a few years back when I could (even more so) barely play, I would play a bit and sing.  It worked gloriously.  Maybe the singing part helped?  :scratch: 

:lol:

Paul

jackman

« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2010, 02:30 pm »
Hey, I just wanted an excuse to post a funny cartoon.  My playing is very sad these days as I find myself with less and less time to pick up my guitar.  My son would rather shove picks into the soundhole of the acoustic and "adjust" my tuners while I'm playing.  Now that he is enrolled in baseball and soccer (5 year olds so nothing too difficult) and I'm cycling every chance I get, the guitar will get even less time. 

Every once in a while I see or hear something that makes me want to become a better player.  Something like this (I could practice until I'm dead and not come close to this guy's worst day when he was 12 years old!).  DT's guitar work is really amazing to me.  SO much more impressive than any shredder I've seen.  It's hard to  imagine a time in his life when he couldn't play a guitar.  He was probably getting some nice tone at 3 years old. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AkvIErWE8c&feature=related

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #9 on: 29 Mar 2010, 03:15 pm »
Go for the.....impossible........ :thumb:

I'm sure he puts in many hours of practice.... :wink:

nathanm

« Reply #10 on: 29 Mar 2010, 03:41 pm »
I know what you mean!  I'm still playing that Danelectro you sold me, Jackman (well, at least I think that was you - it was a long time ago) and I can't keep the chicks away.  Every morning I wake up in my heart-shaped bed full of sleeping supermodels to yet ANOTHER group of them standing outside my window requesting a rousing cover of "Rime Of The Ancient Mariner".  I dunno, but it drives them wild, especially when I do the creaking boat sound effects and spoken word part in the middle.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #11 on: 29 Mar 2010, 04:53 pm »
Go for the.....impossible........ :thumb:

I'm sure he puts in many hours of practice.... :wink:

WOW!! Thanks Chris.

charles

jackman

« Reply #12 on: 29 Mar 2010, 05:14 pm »
I know what you mean!  I'm still playing that Danelectro you sold me, Jackman (well, at least I think that was you - it was a long time ago) and I can't keep the chicks away.  Every morning I wake up in my heart-shaped bed full of sleeping supermodels to yet ANOTHER group of them standing outside my window requesting a rousing cover of "Rime Of The Ancient Mariner".  I dunno, but it drives them wild, especially when I do the creaking boat sound effects and spoken word part in the middle.

If there's one thing I know, it's the fact that chicks love the Dano's!  Don't remember if I sold you one.  Did you buy my Tubescreamer and Wawa pedals a couple years ago?  Some other guy bought my sunburst Strat pictured in my gallery.  I've owned and sold tons of guitars through the years and the Dano's (the first reissue models from Korea) are the ones I regret selling.  I didn't get much for them and they are fun, indestructable guitars that seem to stay in tune well and not break too many strings.  I'm left with only one Dano, a purple DC59 reissue from the 90's that I'll probably never sell.  You can play that guitar with or without an amp, drop it, rest your drink on it (it's made of masonite!) and it doesn't mind a bit.  The large radius neck, reasonably fat frets and short scale (Gibson scale) neck are a joy to play and bend. 

Considering the guitar only cost me about $180 new (with case and addl set of strings!) and looks really cool, in a geeky way, it's one of my favorites of all time. The lipstick single coils are low output and it only sounds good (IMO) in the middle position when both pu's are engaged, but it's a fun guitar.  Anyone looking for a really easy to play axe should look for one of these if you can find one.  They are also great for slide, nevermind the fact that I suck at slide and all other alternate or open tuning setups. 

If you like the Dano look and sound and you have some extra cash to spend (who doesn't these days :?), you will love a Jerry Jones guitar.  These guys are out of Nashville (I think) and make their high quality guitars in the USofA.  Their versions of the DC's and U2's are better than anything that ever came out of Neptune NJ or Asia wearing a Dano on the headstock.  Someday I'll own a Jerry Jones DC - I hope! 

Cheers,

J

jackman

« Reply #13 on: 29 Mar 2010, 05:42 pm »
Lonewolf, thanks for the clip.  That guy is insane!  I've seen his stuff before and it's very listenable (not to mention technically impossible), unlike most of the guitar hero wankery on youtube. 

Any fans of Phil X?  He did a bunch of videos for a Frettedamerica a company that sells vintage guitars.  Phil is really funny and a great player.  Anyone for Eruption on a '58 Jr?   I love this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLiD-Rp1E1Q

Here is another with Phil playing my favorite guitar, a DC Special with P90's.  It's a '60 and really rare.  I remember when these weren't completely insanely priced but those days are long gone. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8OusW0kWIM&feature=related

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #14 on: 29 Mar 2010, 06:01 pm »
What's really funny is....you go over to you tube, and you see all these kids...young kids...with amazing guitar skills.. :duh:

At 10....I was just getting the chords down.... :lol:

Example...."Eruption".....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huUVXWEM7yQ

jackman

« Reply #15 on: 29 Mar 2010, 06:36 pm »
What's really funny is....you go over to you tube, and you see all these kids...young kids...with amazing guitar skills.. :duh:

At 10....I was just getting the chords down.... :lol:

Example...."Eruption".....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huUVXWEM7yQ

This dude is only 7 and he's already getting chicks with his playing.  The little guy has some chops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwhkG3LhZO8&feature=related