Tall Downfiring Shiva X2

drab

Tall Downfiring Shiva X2
« on: 31 Oct 2009, 07:08 pm »
Hi Kevin,

I'm thinking about building two sealed downfiring subwoofers to use as stands for my monitor speakers. I would like for them to be 26"(preferred) or 24" tall, including feet. I have several questions.

How high from the floor does a downfiring sub need to be?

Also, I was hoping that the width and depth would be about 15" square, would that be a large enough enclosure to get the most out of the Shiva X2?

If I wanted to power these with an EP-2500, would I need anything else?

Thanks in advance for any direction,

Mike

Kevin Haskins

Re: Tall Downfiring Shiva X2
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2009, 08:03 pm »
Hi Kevin,

I'm thinking about building two sealed downfiring subwoofers to use as stands for my monitor speakers. I would like for them to be 26"(preferred) or 24" tall, including feet. I have several questions.

How high from the floor does a downfiring sub need to be?

Also, I was hoping that the width and depth would be about 15" square, would that be a large enough enclosure to get the most out of the Shiva X2?

If I wanted to power these with an EP-2500, would I need anything else?

Thanks in advance for any direction,

Mike

If you give them 3" that is fine.   Assuming you have about 13.5" x 13.5" x the height.   If you assume 3" for the legs, and aim for your 26" dimension, that gives 23" minus 1.5" for the wall thickness.   Add a shelf brace in there and you are at about 20.75".   That gives you just over 2 cubic feet, and if you subtract out the driver volume you are right around 2 cubic feet or 56L.

You get pretty good results in-room with that setup.   Guessing the in-room response is all we can really do but based upon my standard model you have a in-room 3dB down point of around 22Hz.    It also rolls off very gently there-after being a sealed design. 

I'd give it the thumbs up but I warn you the EP-2500 has fans.   I'd also plan for room measurements and EQ if you want to fully optimize the design.