Best turntable for $2,000...

charles28722

Best turntable for $2,000...
« on: 16 Nov 2008, 02:50 pm »
Just discovered that there is a vinyl circle.  Sorry for the general post.  Assuming I am willing to buy used (or not) would appreciate experienced recommendations for the best bang for the buck.  Want to spend no more than $2K for table and arm only) and am seeking something better than entry level.

Thanks

Wayner

Re: Best turntable for $2,000...
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2008, 03:31 pm »
Please let me be the first. I'll suggest a Technics SL-1200 or SL-1210. Put a nice Audio Technica AT440MLa cartridge on it (Moving Magnet) and with the appropriate preamp, your spinning records for under $700. The rest of the money you can use to by LPs. This will not be a cheapie start up system, It will be a far cry from that, indeed. Check out www.KABUSA.com for info.

Wayner

lcrim

« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2008, 04:09 pm »
I own both a Technics and a Garrard turntable and your comment that they are entry level and hence unworthy of consideration struck me as off base.  A KAB modded Technics 12xx is a very desirable deck and if sound quality or setup convenience play any role in the buying decision, should be at the top of the list.  The belief that spending more in audio automatically buys more has little basis in fact.
Sorry, but performance for cost and not cool looks or name recognition are the values that influence my buying decisions.  Now that I think about it more, I like how my turntables look but how they work and sound is the higher priority.

2bigears

« Reply #3 on: 16 Nov 2008, 04:58 pm »
 :D 500 bucks more and you have a Rega P9.good value :D

charles28722

« Reply #4 on: 16 Nov 2008, 05:25 pm »
LCRIM - I was misunderstood:

I didn't mean to imply that Garrard or Technics were entry level.  I simply meant that the last ones I owned were over 25 years ago and probably cost $50.  I regard both of these lines as excellent offerings at a broad spectrum of price levels.

I also agree that throwing money at this sport is not a valid approach.  On the contrary, I enjoy listening to music much more than playing with gear and also don't wish lose money trading and experimenting.  In my limited experience thus far, well-researched product decisions with appropriate monetary investement bring the greatest satisfaction. 

Hope this claries.

nrenter

« Reply #5 on: 16 Nov 2008, 05:36 pm »
I support Wayner's recommendation. Until you're willing to start to consider something like a Galibier or a Teres, the KAB Technics is the way to go. Don't get caught up in all the "upgrades", as you'd be better spending your money (at this point in your analog journey) on some cleaning supplies (ie. The Disc Doctor's Miracle Record Cleaner and brushes) and some sort of vacuum record cleaner (if you have a ShopVac, the KAB EV-1 comes to mind). There is plenty of time to tweaks and upgrades. Although I do like the looks of the hardwood enclosures available for the Technics. :)

ltr317

« Reply #6 on: 16 Nov 2008, 06:02 pm »
In the future please do not use "Best of anything" in the title.  There is no such thing when the answer is an opinion.  It implies that everyone has heard or experience everything available, and then apply it to a standard.  Unless there is a standard and it can be scientifically proven and replicated, then there is no best of anything.  You were correct to ask for a recommendation in the body of your thread.  That should be your heading.  You can collect all the recommendations and decide whether you want to pursue one or more of the recommendations.  I assume that is what you are really after.  Sorry for the rant, I wasn't picking on you.  It's just I see this heading all the time and it really irks me.  Your post just happens to be one too many times, and I crossed the line. 

TONEPUB

« Reply #7 on: 16 Nov 2008, 07:42 pm »
I picked up a nice used SOTA Sapphire for 350 without arm, a used Rega RB300 arm for 300.
Going with a Clearaudio Maestro wood ($950) or new Grado Master ($800) and for about 15-1600
bucks am getting very good sound on a reasonable budget.

There are so many great things out there, There are probably a dozen good ways you can go
for $2000. 

Does that include a phono pre too?

(Bottlehead for $350, if you can use a soldering iron is pretty nice too...)

trout2

« Reply #8 on: 17 Nov 2008, 03:43 pm »
My search (for a tt under $2000) ultimately lead me to the Marantz (Clearaudio) TT15. I was going to go with the VPI-Scout etc, but when I was able to get the Marantz (list $1800) for $1050 (from a discounter in Tampa) I jumped at it. With the savings I then purchased the Graham Slee Era Gold phone stage ($1000) and for the sum of $2050 .. I now have IMO a killer vinyl system.

ricmon

« Reply #9 on: 17 Nov 2008, 06:28 pm »
For 2k you can get a Pro-Ject RM9.1 with a Simiko Blackbird and a Speed box!!!!!!!!  I can tell you from personal experience that once setup you wont regret it.  BTW i thing this set up got a Golden Ear or Product of the Year from TAS.  This is a remarkable setup for the money and IMHO can only be seriously bested buy TT's costing at least 5 times more.  This set up requires serious consideration.

Ric

grenamc

« Reply #10 on: 18 Nov 2008, 02:26 pm »
I have a question specifically about the Technics 12XX series tables.  I have heard that because they are DJ tables they wear on records more than other tables.  Do you just have to re-weight the arm or is what I have heard unfounded?  I am a complete phono-newb so please be kind.  :D

-Michael

TheChairGuy

« Reply #11 on: 18 Nov 2008, 02:38 pm »
I have a question specifically about the Technics 12XX series tables.  I have heard that because they are DJ tables they wear on records more than other tables.  Do you just have to re-weight the arm or is what I have heard unfounded?  I am a complete phono-newb so please be kind.  :D

-Michael

We were all newbies once - no sweat  :)

The Technics SL-1200's will not harm delicate vinyl records.....some of the heavier tracking cartridges used by DJ's on them might, however.  DJ's use cartriges that track at heavy weights, and typically with the cheapest conical styli, because they absorb punishment this way in the clubs and Bar Mitvah's, etc.

The arm itself is a high quality one and a good, audiophool-quality cartridge can be fitted to it, one that is focused on easy wear on your records and high trackability at low pressure and potential damage, that'll make it sound just fine.

Let the old wives tales be...the Technics is a highly capable deck when fitted with a good cartridge.

Regards, John

grenamc

« Reply #12 on: 18 Nov 2008, 03:31 pm »
So, something like this wouldn't be a terrible starting point?  Right now Live.com is offering 25% cashback on Buy It Now purchases through eBay, so it would put me roughly at $520 including shipping, no cartridge. 

http://cgi.ebay.com/KAB-Modified-Technics-SL-1210-MkII-Turntable-1200_W0QQitemZ170278871495QQcmdZViewItemQQptZTurntables?hash=item170278871495&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1199|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Thanks,
Michael

twitch54

« Reply #13 on: 18 Nov 2008, 03:44 pm »
Alot of good replies here....how much vinyl do you currently own ?? if your collection is small, I concur with Wayner, for it will leave you with additional $$$ to be spent on music.

In the price range you mention options are a plenty......rega, pro-ject / Music Hall, VPI, I could go on anmd on !

How competent are you in cart / tonearm and table set-up ? if not, either get Fremers DVD or buy from the likes of Acoustic Sounds or a "Brick & Mortar" shop in your area that sells and KNOWS analog.
« Last Edit: 19 Nov 2008, 02:10 am by twitch54 »

grenamc

« Reply #14 on: 18 Nov 2008, 03:52 pm »
I only have a couple boxes of LPs, most of them in questionable condition, all inherited from my parents/aunt and grandad.  Some Sinatra, some Dylan, Allman Bros, Young, Stones, Floyd...  decent stuff, but I don't know how much of it will be playable.  Some of them sat in an attic for years, others sat in a basement, lol.  Aside from that I have my In//Rainbows discbox which included a double LP of the album.  IE, I have very *little* vinyl.  Being a Beatlemaniac, Kinks lover and so on, I am a little apprehensive about starting down the vinyl path.  It won't be cheap, lol.

-Michael

trout2

« Reply #15 on: 19 Nov 2008, 08:05 pm »
I kept (in good storage) all my records from the 70'-80's ... I buy new from Music Direct. The newest Wilco and The Hold Steady (180 gram vinyl) both sound great, for example. Probably buy one new album per month.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #16 on: 19 Nov 2008, 08:30 pm »
If you got very little LP's scour your local Craig's List.  There is always someone who wants to get rid of a life time collection.  They usually want to sell the lot rather than split them.  So you have some bargaining power.  Inspect the lot to see if they are really his collection and not just a bunch of 2nd and 3rd hand crap from libraries and DJ castoff.  If you look around with patience, you can find a collection that someone (usually retiring Boomers moving south) took care of for a buck or less a record.  It's a good sign if they want to sell you an old Thorens or a Garrard with the lot.  :wink:

Wayner

« Reply #17 on: 19 Nov 2008, 08:54 pm »
Allot of vinyl is ending up in antique stores out here in Minnesota. One store in town must have 8 to 9 thousand LP's from late 60's thru 80's and even some 90's stuff. Most in VG+ or VG++ condition and can be had for 5-7 dollars. You have to look at the vinyl for scratches, dirt and wear.

Wayner

Panelman

« Reply #18 on: 20 Nov 2008, 12:48 am »

Wayner, which store?

Sean

trout2

« Reply #19 on: 21 Nov 2008, 04:39 pm »
Cheapo Records in Mpls (Uptown) has a huge selection of used and new vinyl. Just head down the basement....