Looking for some repair advice from current or former SP Tech speaker owners

jaywills

Good morning, I hope this is the right circle in which to post this.  I need some help, please.

I've recently secured a nice pair of SP Tech's Timepiece 2.1 II speakers, one of which has developed a problem.  I use TacT room correction and noticed a significant deviation between the two speakers' mid-to-high frequency range  when I was setting up the correction filters.  Upon closer inspection, I discovered that the off speaker's tweeter dome had slipped downward from the wave-guide port about half way and resembled a rising sun (half of the tweeter dome showing).  Fooling around with it, I was able to lift the dome back into position from the front, where it has stayed for some reason.  Although both speaker responses are now very close, I am concerned about further slippage should I move the speakers.  Any advice on what I should do?

I have read all the SP Tech/Aether Audio threads I could find and did find one post from Bob touting his new removable back plate in the 2.1's in which he noted that the plate was designed to be removed (I try not to start taking things apart until I have some sense of how they were put together).  I am thinking about removing the back plate to see if I can access the tweeter and determine and correct the slippage problem.

If any of you have any insights or suggestions to help me resolve this, I'd be very appreciative.  I very much like what I'm hearing from the Timepieces right now, but I'd like to cure the problem.  Moderators, if I'm in the wrong circle, please put this where you think it best fits.

Thanks very much, appreciate everyone's time.  Cordially,

cliffy

Check your PM

jaywills

Though there doesn't appear to be much interest in this subject, for those Timepiece speaker owners who may find themselves experiencing the problem I described, the solution is fairly straight-forward and simple to do. 

Laying the speaker face down on a rug or protective mat, the back plates can be removed by taking out the perimeter wood screws (the four smaller machine screws near the handles hold the crossover standoffs to the back plate).  Using a ~1" wood dowel as a lever to lift the plate handles upward, you can remove the back plate fairly easily.

First check the crossover standoff screws on both ends of each standoff and tighten if necessary.  All of mine on both speakers were loose and a couple had completely disengaged. 

The tweeter mount appears to be a rectangular piece of plywood under the batting inside the speaker beneath the back plate (the batting removes easily and the crossover wires are long enough to rest it and the plate on the lower half of the speaker).  The tweeter mount is held in place by two bolts, and one of mine had become completely unscrewed allowing the tweeter to drop half-way out of the wave-guide throat.  They screw back in easily, but check the bolts on both speakers' tweeters as all of mine were loose.  Replace the batting and the back plate and sew everything up with the perimeter wood screws.  That's it, all works well now.

Cliffy, appreciate your tip, but no response unfortunately, which is understandable. Cordially,

cliffy

Glad you figured it out.