Cary Audio SLI 80 complete tube swap out~

chgolatin2

Cary Audio SLI 80 complete tube swap out~
« on: 30 Dec 2017, 11:16 pm »

Well I decided to take the plunge and replace all of the stock tubes that came with my Cary Audio SLI 80 tube amp, all of the tubes being used from factory were Russian tubes Electro Harmonix (6922, 6SN7, KT88 and 5U4's)  Also my tube phone pre amp (Parks Audio budgie) tubes will be replaced Holland gold pins~  Can't wait to get these tubes in~  Pictures are posted~

JakeJ

Re: Cary Audio SLI 80 complete tube swap out~
« Reply #1 on: 31 Dec 2017, 05:01 pm »
Very cool, chgolatin2.  Please let us know your impressions of the sound after you have had a chance to do some critical listening.

May I ask what your source(s) were for this tube set?

chgolatin2

« Reply #2 on: 31 Dec 2017, 07:58 pm »
Very cool, chgolatin2.  Please let us know your impressions of the sound after you have had a chance to do some critical listening.

May I ask what your source(s) were for this tube set?

www.old-guy-radiola.com

richidoo

« Reply #3 on: 31 Dec 2017, 09:35 pm »
Very nice choices! I want to hear that SLI80 after they break in! Where do you live and what speakers do you play?  :thumb:

Are those original Genelex KT88s? Sweet!    I ask because new production Electro Harmonix KT88s also have the black base cap like the later Genelex. But McIntosh did private label the original Genelex GEC-MOV KT88s back in the day. New Mac power tubes would be no advantage over your stock EHs.

Don't forget the coupling caps... ;)

chgolatin2

« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec 2017, 10:56 pm »
Very nice choices! I want to hear that SLI80 after they break in! Where do you live and what speakers do you play?  :thumb:

Are those original Genelex KT88s? Sweet!    I ask because new production Electro Harmonix KT88s also have the black base cap like the later Genelex. But McIntosh did private label the original Genelex GEC-MOV KT88s back in the day. New Mac power tubes would be no advantage over your stock EHs.

Don't forget the coupling caps... ;)

Thanks~  I live in Crook County, Chicago, Illinois~  Running a pair of JBL L50, also some VR2's speakers, JBL L16 and a few other speakers~  Yes, original tubes and not cheap!   I will see how it goes after I install of these new tubes then maybe do a few more upgrades to the amp.  I also have a sweet sounding Jolida FX10 with some JJ tubes and the amp was modified by Rich Singerman out of Cali, that's next on the list for tube rolling and I believe it will be less costly too~ lol~  Thanks and Happy New Years

richidoo

« Reply #5 on: 31 Dec 2017, 11:42 pm »
Crook County... haha   

Sounds like you have a lot of fun tube rolling coming in the new year ahead!

JakeJ

« Reply #6 on: 1 Jan 2018, 12:09 am »
Thanks for the link to Old Guy Radiola.  Looking forward to reading your opinions.

denny9167

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jan 2018, 06:27 pm »
Some really nice tubes!

Roninaudio

• I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
« Reply #8 on: 27 Jan 2018, 06:45 pm »
Be interested how it turns out..  I have a SL-100.  Would love a 120S MKII. Cary Audio and Billy are a great group.

Flac2Dac

« Reply #9 on: 19 Feb 2018, 08:32 pm »
Ha; I just listed my SLI-80 Sig...because of temptations like this  :|