I stumbled across a sweet combo!

JakeJ

I stumbled across a sweet combo!
« on: 24 Dec 2017, 06:47 am »
I have been researching and putting together both travel and desktop headphone rigs.

Desktop system:
Win10 PC sporting the onboard digital sound system Realtek -> Fibre Wireworld Eclipse 5 glass optical (glass make a big difference) -> Grace Design m920 Hi-Res Monitoring System DSD DAC 2x unbal I/O, 2x bal I/O; USB, Toslink, S/PDIF, AES/EBU digital inputs. -> Bal1 out to Paradigm Active/40 speaker (slight overkill for the office), or Audeze EL-8, or NuForce primo8 IEMs.

Travel rig:  The Sweet Combo
iPhone 6s running Tidal premium -> USB -> iFi iLink USB to S/PDIF converter -> fibre optic -> iFi iDSD -> NuForce primo8 (thanks Massdrop).

I am gobsmacked at how incredible the primo8's sound.  So much air around the instruments.  Anyone who says they don't make good bass just isn't getting a good seal with the tips installed and need try other sizes or third party tips.  Does it suck you gotta resort to third party tips, not IMO because once you get that seal the SQ just captivates you.  I got a good seal with the stock large silicone tips.

I got the primo8's yesterday and have been listening on the m920 until this evening when I hooked up the iPhone and iFi kit and was very happy with the sound.  The slightest loss of detail in the upper treble is all I can detect.  But somehow the treble sounds just a bit sweeter than the m920, maybe it's the decay?  The xBass option in the iDSD is perfect for this basshead and gives me that bit of extra kick for the high energy music.

So, that's the headphone fun I have been having lately.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of AC!

Douger

Re: I stumbled across a sweet combo!
« Reply #1 on: 26 Dec 2017, 10:32 pm »
Looks good!

Merry Belated Christmas and Happy New Year!!