So I bought a Pi

Lol999

Re: So I bought a Pi
« Reply #20 on: 25 Dec 2017, 07:23 am »
It's been a really interesting discussion, and searching the web I have found those who believe power supplies make a difference, those who don't. Some folks rate the iFi wall warts, some who don't. I love tinkering with things and making them myself, but I'm also busy and wonder if the best option would be to buy one and gamble that I will hear a difference which is frustrating because I'm very much a guy of "definites" i.e if there is proof then I am in, otherwise I take some persuading.

This guy http://archimago.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/measurements-raspberry-pi-3-as-usb.html says he cannot find any reason through his tests and measurements why we need linear psu's, likewise he cannot find any difference in USB cables, unless in both instances there is some physical measure that affects sound quality he is not aware of.

Another thing that surprises me, having cut my teeth on hi-fi in the early 80's is that no-one suggests isolating their Pi on acoustic platforms etc, many an integrated amp was put on a spiked platform back in the day and users swore by the difference, or was that just more snake oil?

Cheers, Lol - and by the way - happy xmas!

dB Cooper

« Reply #21 on: 25 Dec 2017, 06:43 pm »
The kind of difference you describe, lol999, is tough to assess because some answer these questions in night-and-day terms ("The heavens parted when I substituted the Gonzosonics Rubidium power cord") while others say they are BS. There seem to be few differences everybody can agree on, but you have to get there (or close to there) before I consider a difference to be "night and day". In other words, a difference which can be picked out by anybody and/or in blind testing (which is largely shunned by the audiophile community). Personally I think that while there may be differences, they are dwarfed by (and, in many cases, masked by) the nonlinearities in transducers. Putting small differences in 'night and day' terms clouds the issues IMHO.

If you are running your Pi into an external, self-powered DAC, I'm in the 'whatever' PS camp. If using one of the bolt-on DACs that shares power supply, that's a tougher question.

charmerci

« Reply #22 on: 25 Dec 2017, 06:46 pm »
You don't happen to live in London do you? I'll be there at the end of January so if you want to borrow an Audioquest Jitterbug for a few days, I can bring it along.

Happy holidays! :xmas:

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #23 on: 25 Dec 2017, 07:09 pm »
A friend of mine has a high end power supply and it definitely made a nice and noticeable difference in sound with his DAC's and a Regen.  It clearly is system and component dependent as most things are in audio.

audioengr

« Reply #24 on: 25 Dec 2017, 09:28 pm »
For digital, the LPS must be fast-reacting or it may actually be worse than a switcher.  I have been using one of my fast LPS with my RPi.

I would recommend the SBoost supplies. They are fast.

Steve N.

Lol999

« Reply #25 on: 26 Dec 2017, 07:14 am »
so many ways to skin a cat! To be honest, I think I'm going to just enjoy my new Pi for a bit,my new headphones I got for Xmas (AKG K92 which sort of puts my system in context budget wise) and see how I feel. If I decide a little further down the line to push it I know where I can come for further advice on what has already been offered.I actually live 2 miles from these guys, http://avondaleaudio.com/but man is it out of reach financially for now!
Many thanks for kind help and an interesting discussion.

Cheers, Lol

Lol999

« Reply #26 on: 28 Dec 2017, 09:06 pm »
Who am I kidding? I bought one of the kits Hal recommended, now to get me a soldering iron and some plasters for burnt finger ends :-)