Wonder

ctviggen

Wonder
« on: 26 Nov 2017, 12:05 pm »
Wonder is a book about a boy who is entering the fifth grade and has a deformed face.  My 10 year old daughter read the book and recommended it.  I listened to the book on audio, and thought it was fantastic.

The movie version is out now.  Our family (we have 10 and 7 year old daughters) went to see this yesterday.  I was convinced our 7 year old would not find it interesting, as it has no action and it's not a typical "kids" movie.  When the movie ended, our 7 year old said, "That was the best movie EVER!"  And it really was a great adaptation of the book.  In short, it was a wonder. My wife cried basically the entire movie.  When I went to the restroom afterwards, I overheard a man saying the same thing -- he cried the entire movie.

For those like my 7 year old, who is a kind soul and gets quite sad whenever there is a loss, there is one part of the movie that has a loss.  To put this in perspective, when my 7 YO saw Big Hero Six and Big Hero has to be left behind so the girl and boy can get back through the vortex, she was devastated and freaked for a while after that.  The movie does not dwell on the loss, though, so even my 7 YO was OK and the end of the movie is uplifting.

I was reluctant to see this movie, as I knew what the story was and thought it was too serious a topic.  I was pushing for Coco, which just came out too.  However, Coco did not fit into the time frame we needed.  I do not regret seeing Wonder and would see it again, even buy it, which is the greatest praise I personally give to a movie.  Most movies are "one and done" with me.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
Re: Wonder
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2017, 02:55 pm »
Thanks for the review. I’m forwarding this to my brother for his grandkids.

Cheers,
Lester

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2017, 05:27 pm »
Most movies are "one and done" with me.

I was going to see Wonder last week but saw Murder on the Orient Express instead, what a dreadful waste of time that was.

MttBsh

« Reply #3 on: 26 Nov 2017, 05:37 pm »
I was going to see Wonder last week but saw Murder on the Orient Express instead, what a dreadful waste of time that was.

I too found Murder on the Orient Express to be a pretentious bore, as I suspected it would be, but my wife insisted on going anyway and apparently liked it.

THROWBACK

« Reply #4 on: 27 Nov 2017, 02:53 pm »
"Murder . . . " I didn't even want to waste more time writing out the entire title.