My New camera - DSLR heresy

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
My New camera - DSLR heresy
« on: 24 Nov 2017, 06:30 pm »
I have a Nikon D600 and several nice pieces of glass (also a D90). More and more I am being pulled towards video. So my new camera is the Sony RX 10 IV. It is a unique camera with components from the A6 and A9, a fabulous Zeiss fixed telephoto lense, and a finally excellent auto-focus system. This is not a camera for professionals but it is a B-camera for professionals!

Some of us will be mouthing the word "mirrorless" with disgust. Which I used to do. Well, many of us did that with the transition to DSLR from SLR and film. I have finally accepted that mirrorless is a viable alternative, and I still get to keep my really nice DSLR for lots of applications.

Sony has finally made a "reasonably priced" ( don't see the A9 ) amazing mirrorless camera which can do so much (that I really want to do) that I had to buy it. The knowledge that Nikon uses Sony sensors had softened my heart to the point that I was willing to do a deep dive on this camera. I kept looking and looking at the youtube reviews that never ended. Sure some are Sony advertising but all companies do this. The number of professional photographers reviewing this camera shocked me.

It is a super-zoom, a bridge camera, a hybrid, the ultimate point and shoot travel camera, street camera, and an excellent video camera. You take this out with a camera strap, and that's it. If you are feeling serious you can bring a tripod on your back.

The fact that this can do most things, and more, that a $5000 video camera can do is to me a very big reason to get this one. This the the camera I wish I had in Pompeii, Rome, Florence, Lonon, Switzerland, in my backyard garden, filming my family, making youtube videos!

Here are two excellent different types of reviews. (On youtube you can answer every question you have about it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGqeezyuifg&t=23s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t-C6WAlun8&t=9s

audio.bill

Re: My New camera - DSLR heresy
« Reply #1 on: 24 Nov 2017, 08:36 pm »
The one limiting factor of that camera for professional use (even as a backup) that I see is its small sensor size of 1". If it had a full frame sized sensor they'd really have something that could dominate the market with much better low light performance and depth of field capabilities. The way it's currently offered is extremely flexible for the general consumer market but somewhat limiting for most professional use. If it works for you that's all that really matters and I wish you the best with it!

drphoto

« Reply #2 on: 25 Nov 2017, 02:04 am »
I was a pro shooter for 25 years and still do some jobs. My next camera will be mirrorless. I like the Fuji X myself. But I think most all of these are amazingly good. I have used Canon full frame since they came on the market and still have. (6d Mk2)

The camera is only a tool. Great pictures are made (or taken) by photographers. A $60K Hasselblad will not automatically create a great picture.

I hope I don't so like a smart ass. Not trying to. I just think many of the new mirrorless systems are way more than 'snapshot' cameras. Even for pro work, most images end up on the web, so file size is not a huge deal breaker.

I honestly like the way Fuji renders color better than Canon. For me the only downside to Fuji, is the unique sensor creates a RAW file that does not play nice with most RAW converters. I've not used, but from what I've seen, the Sonys are amazing.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 25 Nov 2017, 02:21 am »
Seems a full loaded camera congratulations :thumb:

Early B.

« Reply #4 on: 25 Nov 2017, 02:51 am »
Impressive camera and not overpriced for what you get. A single DSLR pro lens costs as much as this camera.

I agree with drphoto's assertion that the photographer makes the images, not the camera. My sister, a former pro photographer, has a $100 camera and her images are far superior than 99% of folks with "pro" cameras.   

slash71

« Reply #5 on: 25 Nov 2017, 12:07 pm »
I have a Nikon D600 and several nice pieces of glass (also a D90). More and more I am being pulled towards video. So my new camera is the Sony RX 10 IV. It is a unique camera with components from the A6 and A9, a fabulous Zeiss fixed telephoto lense, and a finally excellent auto-focus system. This is not a camera for professionals but it is a B-camera for professionals!

Some of us will be mouthing the word "mirrorless" with disgust. Which I used to do. Well, many of us did that with the transition to DSLR from SLR and film. I have finally accepted that mirrorless is a viable alternative, and I still get to keep my really nice DSLR for lots of applications.

Sony has finally made a "reasonably priced" ( don't see the A9 ) amazing mirrorless camera which can do so much (that I really want to do) that I had to buy it. The knowledge that Nikon uses Sony sensors had softened my heart to the point that I was willing to do a deep dive on this camera. I kept looking and looking at the youtube reviews that never ended. Sure some are Sony advertising but all companies do this. The number of professional photographers reviewing this camera shocked me.

It is a super-zoom, a bridge camera, a hybrid, the ultimate point and shoot travel camera, street camera, and an excellent video camera. You take this out with a camera strap, and that's it. If you are feeling serious you can bring a tripod on your back.

The fact that this can do most things, and more, that a $5000 video camera can do is to me a very big reason to get this one. This the the camera I wish I had in Pompeii, Rome, Florence, Lonon, Switzerland, in my backyard garden, filming my family, making youtube videos!

Here are two excellent different types of reviews. (On youtube you can answer every question you have about it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGqeezyuifg&t=23s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t-C6WAlun8&t=9s

. 3 hundredths of a second for focus and 24 frame  seconds ,  excellent camera for sport..

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #6 on: 26 Nov 2017, 01:49 am »
The one limiting factor of that camera for professional use (even as a backup) that I see is its small sensor size of 1". If it had a full frame sized sensor they'd really have something that could dominate the market with much better low light performance and depth of field capabilities. The way it's currently offered is extremely flexible for the general consumer market but somewhat limiting for most professional use. If it works for you that's all that really matters and I wish you the best with it!

There are several youtube videos about this "it's not a full frame sensor" argument - they are not buying it.

Anyway they were supposed to deliver Monday, then they surprised me while I was out today. Not really happy with Adorama's internet operation. They emailed me but it was to late, and did not call me.  I did get the tripod I ordered but the head will have to wait till Monday. Of course I missed some amazing shots today that I wanted to video...

Early B.

« Reply #7 on: 26 Nov 2017, 03:41 am »
There are several youtube videos about this "it's not a full frame sensor" argument - they are not buying it.

The "full frame" argument is kinda like the "tube gear" argument in audio -- they're both old concepts that were once true, but as technology advances, some people still hold onto the past.