WTB a good pre-amp

2bigears

WTB a good pre-amp
« on: 8 Nov 2017, 07:54 pm »
 :D  ok,, jello all. gonna jump on this dig amp thing .. buy the ICE1200 ,,,,, need a preamp that fits it well.
          budget ,, zero to 5 grand.  i do know pre-amps are very important as i did have a good one in the past.   :D
        thanks for any help as a mistake is not what i would like to do ,,,,, :D
     Yes,, remote wanted please.....
       i think tubes help to warm SS amps ,, i think but could be wrong. 
         active is ?? passive is ??  the better one ,, ha ..  :D
« Last Edit: 9 Nov 2017, 12:29 am by 2bigears »

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
Re: WTB a good pre-amp
« Reply #1 on: 8 Nov 2017, 08:51 pm »
Can you narrow down the field a little bit?
active vs passive
tubes vs solid state
remote or not
etc

2oldcranks

« Reply #2 on: 8 Nov 2017, 09:12 pm »
TORTUGA :thumb:
Im in on the ICE DIY and seems the Tortuga would be FanFrekin tastic.
One just put in the market,thinking HARD about that one

jparkhur

« Reply #3 on: 8 Nov 2017, 10:59 pm »
There is a loaded tortuga ldr w/ external ps for sale in the amp area.  It’s less than what it cost to build. 

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=153640.0

gab

« Reply #4 on: 8 Nov 2017, 11:01 pm »
here is a highly rated one from the factory authorized "B stock" vendor you might consider:

http://www.safeandsoundhq.com/Parasound-Halo-JC2BP-2-Channel-Preamplifier-B-STOCK-FULL-WARRANTY

morganc

« Reply #5 on: 9 Nov 2017, 07:05 am »
I would also go with a tube pre-amp.  Several top shelf choices in your budget on audiogon now.
The Allnic is amazing.   Top shelf build, material, design and sound and keeps resale value well. 
The Modwright LS100 is another solid choice as is the Purity Audio .......can't go wrong with any of those three as they are all top quality companies and great products.....which would match better with the Ice amp?  That I don't know.....

2bigears

« Reply #6 on: 9 Nov 2017, 01:02 pm »
 :D never heard of Allnic. Looks do kill.  Thanks for the heads up. 
       Before the world ends I will get this done right ,,,ha.  :D

sunnydaze

« Reply #7 on: 9 Nov 2017, 02:39 pm »
Allnic L-1500 on USAM:

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649316346-allnic-l1500/

I owned this model.   VG sounding preamp, flexible, well-built, and a joy to use.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #8 on: 9 Nov 2017, 04:21 pm »
Budget?

if my new used preamp arriving today-ish works out my Bent Micro-Tap set-up will be for sale.

roscoeiii

« Reply #9 on: 9 Nov 2017, 11:36 pm »
Until I went to a DEQX that can function as a pre-amp, the Musical Fidelity kW was the longest lived  pre-amp in my set-up. A real overbuilt beast. Dynamics, details. And it is a hybrid, so you get a bit of tubes too.

Never got around to bumping the ad or listing on Audiogon. And I'd love for it to go to an ACer. Kick-ass piece of gear that paired great with every amp I tried it with (2A3 flea watt, burly high power solid state (Aragon), Butler hybrid amp, ncore, Rogue Stereo 90 tube amp, a lot of First Watt amps (F1, F1J, F2, F3, F4, F5), and I'm probably forgetting some. Definitely plays well with others.

Has a remote.

Never felt like anything was lacking with this one.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=143477.msg1532512#msg1532512

2bigears

« Reply #10 on: 10 Nov 2017, 02:11 am »
 :D I had the KW750 .   It was kick ass.  Don't know the pre ?   :D ....
     But if it's as good as the amp ?  Kinda apples to oranges .  A good pre is sooooo important.  :D
         I sold the 750 for 1/3 new cost.   Was the best I could get. 

roscoeiii

« Reply #11 on: 10 Nov 2017, 03:38 am »
From the Stereophile review I think Fremer preferred it to the amp. And especially considering the price. Think I'm pricing it around 1/3 list. Which is ridiculous for what you get. 

Bostown

• BASS CLUB [Boston Audio Stereo & Social Club]
    • Second Time Sound - Audio Gear Re-Purposed
« Reply #12 on: 12 Nov 2017, 04:07 pm »
I have a KRELL KRC preamp + KRELL KPE phono stage is installed internally as well. The Outboard power supply for the PRE is also included as is the remote.  Ships in it's original Factory box .
I haven't created a listing for it here yet but plan on it ( or possibly Agon)   offer is open to the OP or anyone with $2475 ,  all inclusive of shipping within the CONUS.  Nothing extra for paypal transaction ( although a money order or check is preferred if possible but if we haven't done business before it makes sense to go through paypal for buyer/seller protection).

2bigears

« Reply #13 on: 12 Nov 2017, 11:22 pm »
 :) OK ,  really need a pre now. Just jumped the band wagon on the ICE amp.  Need a pre ....... :D.
          Thinking a good tube pre ,, but doesn't have to be.  Still think s tube pre softens things a bit.
        :D  As usual,, I could be wrong ,   Ha.   :D

ClefChef

« Reply #14 on: 13 Nov 2017, 02:30 pm »
I built numerous tube Aikido and JC-2 clones, both are excellent. Should be a good fit for digital amplifier (I use them myself).
PM if interested.

/mp

« Reply #15 on: 13 Nov 2017, 04:10 pm »
    ...gonna jump on this dig amp thing....buy the ICE1200....need a preamp that fits it well.
          Budget, zero to 5 grand.

$0-$5K is a big spread. Can you narrow that down a little?

Can you narrow down the field a little bit?
active vs passive
tubes vs solid state
remote or not
etc

Also full preamp (w/phono stage) vs line stage only vs line stage w/DAC
Also, also new vs (slightly) used vs vintage (older used). Used costs less than new, all other things being equal. Vintage will cost even less up front but anticipate budgeting service, re-tubing, etc costs.
In the case of tubes, included tubes (if any) vs tube rolling.

Yes, remote wanted please.....

Most vintage (older used) preamps don't have wireless remotes. Not a hard rule.

I think tubes help to warm SS amps

Another way of saying this is SS tend to have more/better defined bass & treble. Tube tend to emphasize midrange.  Is this a direction you prefer going?

Active is ?? passive is ??  the better one

Active vs passive offer their own blend of relative advantages & disadvantages much like tube vs. SS.   

Anything else you can add to help us help you?
Friendly reminder: there is no best, only better match with your taste & system.

bunky

« Reply #16 on: 15 Nov 2017, 10:11 pm »
You could get a brand new tube rectified DeHavilland Ultraverve 3 remote version. the preamp is hand built in Vancouver Washington and the components are wired point to point by Kara Chaffee for $2995.00. they are great sounding preamplifiers.

JackD

« Reply #17 on: 15 Nov 2017, 11:46 pm »
Backert Labs Rhumba 1.2

alke1234

« Reply #18 on: 16 Nov 2017, 10:47 pm »
You could get a brand new tube rectified DeHavilland Ultraverve 3 remote version. the preamp is hand built in Vancouver Washington and the components are wired point to point by Kara Chaffee for $2995.00. they are great sounding preamplifiers.

I was just visiting and thought I'd chime in, DeHavilland is a fine pre, also if you can find a AudioPrism Mantissa. These are two that have served me well in front of a solid state amp. Use them both, a lot have came and went.

tipatina

« Reply #19 on: 17 Nov 2017, 01:46 am »
I can also vouch for the Ultraverve which is my current line stage. Also any
of the Van Alstine tube preamps, have had an older one in the past-great sound and reliable