Problem with my Sony XA-5400 ES CDP

Randy

Problem with my Sony XA-5400 ES CDP
« on: 28 Aug 2017, 05:45 am »
I've enjoyed this excellent player (modified by Allen Wright) for many years now with no problems. Now, however, with hybrid discs it won't read the SACD layer. On the other hand, it will play SACD non-hybrid discs with no problem, so the SACD decoding works fine. It just won't make the switch from the CD to the SACD layer with hybrids. Anybody have a quick fix for this?  If not, who might be able to make the necessary repair if it's even feasible.  Thanks for any help.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Problem with my Sony XA-5400 ES CDP
« Reply #1 on: 28 Aug 2017, 11:12 am »
If prob is what Iam thinking is a IC that control the Laser pickup. You will to search this IC in the Service Manual and replace it.
Is the Laser lens are already clean a focus adjustment may help if made by an expert w/a osciloscope.
Hope this help.

Randy

« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2017, 02:48 pm »
If prob is what Iam thinking is a IC that control the Laser pickup. You will to search this IC in the Service Manual and replace it.
Is the Laser lens are already clean a focus adjustment may help if made by an expert w/a osciloscope.
Hope this help.

Thanks. I have a message in to Musical Technology in Virginia. They worked on the player before but it was so long ago I wasn't sure they would still be around.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 28 Aug 2017, 03:05 pm »
Might try turning the player on with an SACD disc in it.  It may not resolve the issue permanently but it might work for a bit.  Many moons ago I had a (modded) XA-777ES and I had Music Technology clean the laser which seemed to make it work (it wouldn't be all the time that it happened before that - just with an occasional disc and I remember reading that somewhere).  I decided to sell the player while it was working perfectly.  A few years after that I decided to get out of disc playback partially for that reason.  I'd read posts all the time about eventual problems and sometimes the drive is discontinued and then one is out of luck.

bacobits1

« Reply #4 on: 28 Aug 2017, 05:39 pm »
Music Technology Bill Thalmann is an excellent choice! Not cheap. If it can be fixed they will get it running.

Randy

« Reply #5 on: 29 Aug 2017, 04:44 pm »
Might try turning the player on with an SACD disc in it.  It may not resolve the issue permanently but it might work for a bit.  Many moons ago I had a (modded) XA-777ES and I had Music Technology clean the laser which seemed to make it work (it wouldn't be all the time that it happened before that - just with an occasional disc and I remember reading that somewhere).  I decided to sell the player while it was working perfectly.  A few years after that I decided to get out of disc playback partially for that reason.  I'd read posts all the time about eventual problems and sometimes the drive is discontinued and then one is out of luck.

It plays non-hybrid (SACD only) discs fine. It's the switching between layers it seems to have trouble with.
I won't ever get out of playing CDs. Too old and too many to just abandon or rip to a hard drive.

Randy

« Reply #6 on: 29 Aug 2017, 04:47 pm »
Music Technology Bill Thalmann is an excellent choice! Not cheap. If it can be fixed they will get it running.

Bill worked on the player six years ago (seems like much longer ago than that) when the VSE mod went out. He fixed under the warranty provided by VSE. I was glad to see that the shop in Virginia is still there. Bill has already sent two emails in response to the problem. I'll ship it to him next week when I have some spare time.

Randy

« Reply #7 on: 29 Aug 2017, 04:50 pm »
Hope this help.

Yes, thanks. Bill Thalman also wrote that it sounded like a laser problem and indication that it's in the early stages of failing.

bacobits1

« Reply #8 on: 29 Aug 2017, 04:53 pm »
Always the damn Laser assembly. On most break downs.
I'm like you will never get rid of my CeeDee's. I'm old!
There are $3k+ Carey's out there among others Bryston that are non replaceable.

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 29 Aug 2017, 06:56 pm »
Too old and too many to just abandon or rip to a hard drive.

That's what I said about 6 years ago. 8)

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #10 on: 30 Aug 2017, 11:57 am »
Yes, thanks. Bill Thalman also wrote that it sounded like a laser problem and indication that it's in the early stages of failing.
When an Hybrid SACD is inserted the player try read the SACD layer by default. The SCD-1 and the little brother 777 transport are the KHS180A PN 8-820-005-02 unit avaliable on Ebay or TaoBao, to replace it will be need an scope and a numeric code inserted by the remote control.

An Sony authorizad dealer tech have to be very experiencied to replace it, most tech guys will say the current Laser unit is dead and have no substitute.