Audio room PC with JRiver for DSP, xover -- thoughts?

Mike-48

I'm seeking comments on a possible system re-configure.

My system uses MinimServer on a NAS to send music to an Auralic Aries, then a Classe CP-800. The last, a DAC/preamp, has PEQ and bass management for subs. Using an OmniMic, I manually set PEQ for room correction. Works fine, within its limitations.

I'm considering switching to JRiver as a DLNA renderer in the audio room, which would provide DSP, including crossovers, and send 4 channels to a Lynx Hilo (swapped from another system). This would give more flexibility in DSP and would position me to move easily to Acourate if I wanted.

Something that deters me up front is the need to maintain another computer. I've been doing it since the first PCs came out, and it's becoming tedious. I was thinking Windows, not because I'm a fan, but because I know it. I've used Linux before but don't know it well and am concerned about its "unknown unknowns."

I will appreciate any thoughts about this. Am I making a mistake? Forgetting anything important? Over- or underestimating the difficulty of any of this?

ricmon

Re: Audio room PC with JRiver for DSP, xover -- thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jul 2017, 04:13 pm »
I have just built a nice little computer running Windows 10.  Just like you not much of a fan of Windows but need Tidal with all it bell and whistles (access to Master list and MQA).  This little PC run a full version of Windows 10 so you can load any software you like on it.  It fits in the palm of your hand and is easily placed out of site. I use a nice 10 inch monitor,mouse and no keyboard.  It has WiFi, Ethernet....etc. 

http://www.lattepanda.com/products/
https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/screens-and-displays/raspberry-pi-screens/hdmi-10.1-1024x600-touch-screen-and-case

Ric  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 26 Jul 2017, 05:18 pm by ricmon »

Mike-48

Re: Audio room PC with JRiver for DSP, xover -- thoughts?
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jul 2017, 04:46 pm »
@ricmon - Interesting!  I didn't know there was anything like this.

I thought of one problem with my scheme: I do some live recording in my room, and with the current setup, it's easy to playback takes through the CP-800, which means the playbacks get the DRC. I'm not sure how I'd accomplish that using a computer-based system -- source switching has always seemed the weak spot of such systems. I'm sure there's a way, but I haven't yet thought of a simple one.