Upside Down

Archguy

Upside Down
« on: 24 Jul 2017, 08:40 am »
Well, not sure if that's the right phrase, but I can't believe how many times I see the power amp on the bottom. 
Not just for show, either.  People run them this way.  Makes me leery of buying used. 

TrungT

Re: Upside Down
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2017, 09:10 am »
Power amp - heavy!!!! ;)

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jul 2017, 10:45 am »
Most controls are usually on gear other than the power amp and more convenient when placed higher. 

Most fussy audiophiles worry about vibrations and obtaining proper footing so they don't stack their gear anyway.

Yes, power amps tend to be heavier due to large power supplies and heat sinks.  Note that heavier object should be on the bottom to improve physical stability (something that an architect should know).

If you're worried about proper venting, check with the manufacturer's recommendations and note that most amps that produce lots of heat have side mounted cooling fins that would mitigate cooling/venting concerns.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 24 Jul 2017, 10:49 am »
Makes me leery of buying used. 

Don't buy used amps with scratches on the top, end of problem.  That being said, most real audiophiles have equipment racks.

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #4 on: 24 Jul 2017, 12:57 pm »
In some States stacking McIntosh gear would be considered a criminal offense or at the very least cause for excommunication from the Church of Audiophilia.

Early B.

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jul 2017, 02:01 pm »
It doesn't matter matter if you stack your gear as long as you have plenty of ventilation and proper isolation between components. Equipment racks are fine, but they consume real estate and can create sonic issues, especially when placed in the middle of the speakers.  And when placed to the side, you gotta have extra long speaker cables.

Archguy

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jul 2017, 12:19 am »
In some States stacking McIntosh gear would be considered a criminal offense or at the very least cause for excommunication from the Church of Audiophilia.

Fully agree.  I'm torn looking at that photo.  Jonesing on the equipment, horrified at the stacking.

Yes, power amps tend to be heavier due to large power supplies and heat sinks.  Note that heavier object should be on the bottom to improve physical stability (something that an architect should know).

OMG. So true.  We did have a course called 'Structural Dynamics of Vertically-Situated Audio Paraphernalia" but I always cut that class.

Archguy

GRRRR
« Reply #7 on: 26 Jul 2017, 05:01 am »

ON CARPETING TOO  :duh: :nono: :cry:

MAKE IT STOP IT HURTS

There, that's better  8)