modifying an acoustic research es-1 worth it?

earwig

modifying an acoustic research es-1 worth it?
« on: 18 Jul 2017, 10:06 am »
Is it worth modifying or upgrading parts on an late 1980s Acoustic Research in very good condition ? Except that  noisey motor knocks inside and it needs replacement, the tonearm is just um so so too.I saw various sites even $4000 dollar upgrades to it ,but Id doubt it sound like a brand new modern $4000 turntable.Theres other website with more reasonable mods for it too but Im not sure either.What do you think?

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Re: modifying an acoustic research es-1 worth it?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jul 2017, 11:04 am »
I wouldn't put $4k into it either, but definitely worth replacing the motor.  In their time they ranked ahead of all the Thorens, Rega, etc. tables, behind Sota, Linn, and VPI.  A lot depends on the arm, most have either the Audioquest (Jelco) or Rega, I've seen upgrades to the SME 3009.  Owners generally love this table and have very little bad to say about it.

earwig

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jul 2017, 12:00 pm »
Mine comes with a Mission turntable sorbothane mat and a black unknown Japanese tonearm . I heard  an super es-1 demonstrated with a Alphason zenon tonearm ,titan ruby cartridge and a thin flat Goldmund black acrilic mat years ago (dont know where Id find that mat now) It was with that Krell and Spendor which kicked out a such dynamic punch that it almost blew me backwards on my  listening chair!  :o I using a pre conrad johnson (linn style) Sonographe sg3/mmt now,Not sure how that measures up to the other if i modded this es1

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jul 2017, 07:58 pm »
The Sonographe is a really nice table that was well reviewed in its time, the ES1 has much better specs.  For example .1% vs .04% wow and flutter, respectively.  Of course specs aren't everything and I don't know how they compare soundwise, but when I first read your post my initial though was lateral move.  And with used condition is everything so the no name Japanese tonearm is a concern, could be great or horrible.  I suppose I'd decide based on intended use, if adding to your stable I'd go for it, if replacing the Sonographe I'd have to think long and hard, and do more research.

rex.johnston

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jul 2017, 09:05 am »
I had an es1. It's half lp12 now. The hurst motor wasnt very good and wore out its sleeve bearing. I had plastic sleeves in the main bearing in mine. Replaced with brass now. That arm is probably a jelco. Quite good if the bearings are ok and properly adjusted. Rex

earwig

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jul 2017, 12:33 pm »
Both turntables have exactly the same motor ,the AR has a knocking motor that probably needs replacment anyways.The AR may have the audioquest (need to check that),might replace that if I did mod anyways. I wonder if there exists a much better motor than the Hurst 24 synchronous cause the better turntable can have the best motor than the bad  moter can be tossed and replaced by the good old Hurst motor on the lesser quality turntable.

rex.johnston

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jul 2017, 08:19 pm »
The old phillips/premotec motors (used in many TTs including the LP12) are much better made than the hurst.  Same number of poles, different spindle diameter.

mick wolfe

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jul 2017, 08:35 pm »
The Sonographe is a really nice table that was well reviewed in its time, the ES1 has much better specs.  For example .1% vs .04% wow and flutter, respectively.  Of course specs aren't everything and I don't know how they compare soundwise, but when I first read your post my initial though was lateral move.  And with used condition is everything so the no name Japanese tonearm is a concern, could be great or horrible.  I suppose I'd decide based on intended use, if adding to your stable I'd go for it, if replacing the Sonographe I'd have to think long and hard, and do more research.

FWIW, I had a Sonographe years ago that developed a wobble. When I  contacted Conrad Johnson for the appropiate parts replacement, there were no parts( let alone support) to be had. That said, it was a great sounding table, especially at that price point and beyond.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #8 on: 20 Jul 2017, 08:54 pm »
Do a simply search for AR turntables here at AC.  I remember many discussions over the years.  Wayner has modded them and commented extensively. 
I looked at one a decade ago or so, and chose to go a different direction.  There is no way I'd have more that $1K in one- too many other (better) options.

orthobiz

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jul 2017, 02:14 am »
vinylnirvana.com

Paul

earwig

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jul 2017, 02:47 am »
I had the Hurst motor modded by Merrill years ago put it in my Sonograph sg3, I don't think it really hummed alot less than before but I think the tolerances inside got tightened up more and wobbled less. Perhaps its the same Gem Dandy mod but done by Merrill instead. Audio nirvana has a motor controller that might work  but not sure if that's going to improve the sound.I don't think I can get any of these to a vpi scout jr level or can I? Check out the Soundofthewood website and see how far they went modified to the hilt with the Acoustic Research ES1 and that's why I asked ,is it that good?

« Last Edit: 24 Jul 2017, 12:42 pm by earwig »

mick wolfe

« Reply #11 on: 3 Aug 2017, 04:31 pm »
In an earlier post, I stated there was no support for the SG 3.  That said, I've recently heard that SOTA also has the ability to restore/rebuild these tables. Great news all the way around as it's a superb sounding table. Actually beyond superb when price is considered.

sturgus

« Reply #12 on: 4 Aug 2017, 10:52 pm »
I had the Hurst motor modded by Merrill years ago put it in my Sonograph sg3, I don't think it really hummed alot less than before but I think the tolerances inside got tightened up more and wobbled less. Perhaps its the same Gem Dandy mod but done by Merrill instead. Audio nirvana has a motor controller that might work  but not sure if that's going to improve the sound.I don't think I can get any of these to a vpi scout jr level or can I? Check out the Soundofthewood website and see how far they went modified to the hilt with the Acoustic Research ES1 and that's why I asked ,is it that good?

Take a look over at Audio Karma. Look up marcmorin and ask him about upgrading your AR. I have seen and heard his work. Very, very, knowledgeable. He does total rebuilds at more than reasonable price.  I know he was an engineer for Honda racing team and knows his stuff. I think it will be worth your while to at least contact him. He is also knows a great deal about Grado cartridges.

sturgus

« Reply #13 on: 4 Aug 2017, 11:12 pm »
This is a link to my buddies AR. Thinking of finding one for myself.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/worth-the-wait-ar-xb-restoration.746448/

OzarkTom

« Reply #14 on: 5 Aug 2017, 02:58 am »
ES-1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acoustic-Research-ES-1-Turntable-w-Sumiko-Tone-arm-in-GREAT-COND-/322628685235?hash=item4b1e2b0db3:g:wEIAAOSwOAZZgP7n

When I sold all the tables back in the 80's, the ES-1 beat out the SOTA, Linn LP-12, Oracle Delphi, Rega, Pink Triangle and the Micro Seiki DDX 1000. The AR was completely stock.

AR was better in soundstage and dynamics.