Popping sound question

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: Popping sound question
« Reply #20 on: 19 Jul 2017, 12:31 am »
I think I remember who I bought them from but since I'm not 100% sure I don't want to name names and be wrong. But it was an established company, not an individual eBay sale or anything like that.

JakeJ

« Reply #21 on: 19 Jul 2017, 12:35 am »
You need to get the amp checked out, IMO.  If you are going through power tubes that fast it may be a grid resistor has drifted out of spec.  I don't have a schematic nor am I familiar with your amp, just throwing a dart. :peek:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #22 on: 19 Jul 2017, 12:48 am »
I do believe this is the culprit

The opposite side has the same scorch marks.

I don't remember if this is the same position that went out last time or not.

Jake, I think I agree with you on. Anybody have any suggestions on who to have check out this amp? It's a PrimaLuna Prologue 4.

Mike

JakeJ

« Reply #23 on: 19 Jul 2017, 01:37 am »
Check the repair sticky in this circle.  Where are you located so we can start searching.  Just regional not home specific.

rotarius

« Reply #24 on: 19 Jul 2017, 01:42 am »
Try calling Upscale Audio first.  There is 50-50 chance someone there will be polite and help you or direct you to a repair shop.  It's not always a sure thing with these guys though :roll:

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #25 on: 19 Jul 2017, 02:16 am »
Try calling Upscale Audio first.  There is 50-50 chance someone there will be polite and help you or direct you to a repair shop.  It's not always a sure thing with these guys though :roll:

In the several times I've reached out to Kevin at Upscale he has been beyond helpful. A true gentleman-audiophile, whether he may make money or not.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #26 on: 19 Jul 2017, 02:30 am »
I'm in Tulsa OK

I'll give Kevin a call

Thanks

Mike

JakeJ

« Reply #27 on: 19 Jul 2017, 05:31 am »
Call Upscale first you will likely get the best results there.

A quick google gave me these results.  No idea on reputability.

https://www.manta.com/cp/mx8455l/51897d389d1ccebc02000349/vintage-electronics-repair

Hey, rotarius, why the negative attitude towards Upscale Audio?  :dunno:

DTB300

« Reply #28 on: 19 Jul 2017, 03:22 pm »
I'm in Tulsa OK  Mike 
Mike,

Closer to you, but down in Dallas area....   I believe I have the right number and Email but....

"Frank Mufich of Mufich Audio. His phone # is (214)501-8496 and email is mufich@tx.rr.com"  (From another thread here on AC).  I have a friend in Big D and he was very satisfied with his service and work.

Dan

rotarius

« Reply #29 on: 19 Jul 2017, 03:27 pm »
Hey, rotarius, why the negative attitude towards Upscale Audio?  :dunno:

Well, there were a couple of long threads on Agon and asylum about Upscale recently (speakers section) and a shocking number of people posted very negative comments.  I really don't want to start that here so I will just say I have had mixed results over the years. 
First time dealing with a hum issue with a new preamp was positive.  Kevin was very helpful.  Second time dealing with an amp issue was different, a bit abrupt and the communication ended with nothing resolved.  Third time was me inquiring about purchasing Sonus Faber speakers and the guy who answered (not Kevin) was really not interested in selling them to me.  Let's just leave it at that, I have no axe to grind.  Customer service from audio dealers can be dismal so nothing new here.

JakeJ

« Reply #30 on: 19 Jul 2017, 07:46 pm »
Well, there were a couple of long threads on Agon and asylum about Upscale recently (speakers section) and a shocking number of people posted very negative comments.  I really don't want to start that here so I will just say I have had mixed results over the years. 
First time dealing with a hum issue with a new preamp was positive.  Kevin was very helpful.  Second time dealing with an amp issue was different, a bit abrupt and the communication ended with nothing resolved.  Third time was me inquiring about purchasing Sonus Faber speakers and the guy who answered (not Kevin) was really not interested in selling them to me.  Let's just leave it at that, I have no axe to grind.  Customer service from audio dealers can be dismal so nothing new here.

It's all good.  Now I understand.  Never had any dealings with Mr. Deal (pun intended) but oogled his tubes.  However, I choke on the prices so I never purchased.  Perused the used gear section but never found anything I was interested in...that I could afford.  :D

Too bad, IMO customer service is the holy grail to survival in this hobby and your statement is telling to say the least.  Thanks!  You probably saved me some money and heartache.