Class matters not ? I think not !

Minn Mark

Class matters not ? I think not !
« on: 31 Oct 2017, 02:31 pm »
Friends,
The following is an excerpt I cut/pasted from a Facebook page for Magnepan Users.  Was in a reply to a query from a poster about the acceptability of using class D amplification with planar loudspeakers. Here it is...

"...What “class” an amp is is no longer a factor in how it sounds. Design and implementation do more to determine sound quality than “class.” JMTC...."

SO, this poster's opinion is that the class of amplification has no influence on the sound, and this is coming from a presumed planar loudspeaker owner.

I'm just curious to see the opinions and experience of other users as to the veracity of this statement/opinion.  For my part, I have used my Magnepan 3.6R's with solid state class AB amplification only, but in my experience I can tell the difference between my Hafler DH-200 power amp versus my current amp (AVA Insight 440H).

Not trolling for an argument, but am really interested to see posts from those who have used different class amps with their planar systems.

Thanks,

Mark

simoon

Re: Class matters not ? I think not !
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2017, 04:39 pm »
"...What “class” an amp is is no longer a factor in how it sounds. Design and implementation do more to determine sound quality than “class.” JMTC...."

SO, this poster's opinion is that the class of amplification has no influence on the sound, and this is coming from a presumed planar loudspeaker owner.

I am  not reading the poster's comment in the same way you are.

The way I interpret their comment is, that all classes of amps, if implemented well, will sound fine with Maggies, not they have no influence on the sound. Of course the will influence the sound, just in different ways. And neither of them is a compromise.

In other words, all classes and types of amps will work, and will sound good with Maggies, even though they will still sound different. There is no reason to avoid class D amps because of some preconceived idea that they are inferior. 

Davey

« Reply #2 on: 1 Nov 2017, 02:46 am »
Not trolling for an argument...... 

Yeah you are. 

I agree 100% with simoon.

You've cut/pasted somebodys post from another forum onto this one and then mischaracterized/misunderstood his statement.
If I were John Crossett I'd be rather irritated at this.

Dave.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #3 on: 1 Nov 2017, 04:31 am »
No amps are (only) class A/B. They all are at least slightly biased in class A to some extent.
And some so called Class A are just high bias to class A, but at high poer are still going to A/B.

A high power pure class A am[ is a real furnace.

I remember a story where a fellow bought a set of four big Pass class A amps. Left them on 24/7 ..
Until he got the first monthly electric bill. It was $900 higher than usual..

zoom25

« Reply #4 on: 1 Nov 2017, 04:48 am »
No amps are (only) class A/B. They all are at least slightly biased in class A to some extent.
And some so called Class A are just high bias to class A, but at high poer are still going to A/B.

A high power pure class A am[ is a real furnace.

I remember a story where a fellow bought a set of four big Pass class A amps. Left them on 24/7 ..

:o

Wind Chaser

« Reply #5 on: 1 Nov 2017, 06:18 am »

Wow, that's crazy. That in part is why I always turned mine off, the extra heat isn't welcomed in the summer.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #6 on: 1 Nov 2017, 09:18 am »
With Magnepans the higher up the model line up you go the more resolution you get.
In my limited experience tubes are the way to go with the big ones.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #7 on: 1 Nov 2017, 03:25 pm »
With Magnepans the higher up the model line up you go the more resolution you get.
In my limited experience tubes are the way to go with the big ones.

Steve,

When was the last time you tried Class D with the big ones?

Davey

« Reply #8 on: 1 Nov 2017, 03:46 pm »
Like many things, even the definition of Class-A has been changed through the years by the audio industry.  :)

"Slightly biased in Class A" is an oxymoron definition my electronics instructor would have laughed at fifty years ago.
True Class-A amps are biased so the devices are halfway between cutoff and saturation, period.  25% efficiency, huge power bill, etc, etc, etc.....all apply.
Anything else is Class AB or something else.

Dave.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 1 Nov 2017, 09:41 pm »
I think it was two years ago with the one which was graciously put out on tour.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=130191.0
It worked great with the MMGs which is where it is in daily use.  Bested my old Bryston 2B by a wide margin.

Supposedly the high dollar Class D amps are decent but I've never tried one. 
I've never heard anything that made me want to switch from the VTLs.

Freo-1

« Reply #10 on: 1 Nov 2017, 11:02 pm »
FWIW, I've had very good performance with a Devialet 400, which is stated as Class A voltage and Class D current amp. 

Comparing the Devialet to my 1625 mono block amps does not provide a clear winner.  For some recordings, such as live rock/jazz, the tube amps provide a fuller, more live sounding presentation.  A friend of mine who is a musician strongly prefers the tubes for the type of music he plays.  (Hard rock, Blues).

Yet, for symphonic music, the  Devialet allows for a more detailed reproduction that more closely provides the illusion of a live non-amplified event. 

A well designed amp will provide most enjoyable results regardless of topology. 

Mike-48

« Reply #11 on: 1 Nov 2017, 11:07 pm »
Like so many things (e.g., DAC chips), the key is not in the technique or part used, but in the care and skill taken in total circuit execution.

I have tried amps of various types; my opinion is based on that.

IMO, it's more a matter of taste than anything else. Taste and maybe suggestibility.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 2 Nov 2017, 12:26 am »
The fellow I bought my old VTL 300 DeLuxes from replaced them with a solid state amp, he said he never thought he'd see the day but he heard one that he liked better.
The name wasn't familiar to me but it may have been Devialet. 
I'm certainly not the last word on amplifiers, I just found the sound I liked and that was the end of the upgrade path for me.

Pryso

« Reply #13 on: 2 Nov 2017, 04:55 pm »
Steve, I enjoyed VTL 300 DeLuxes for several years with Duntech speakers.  That only changed after I heard a pair of Parasound JC-1s.  The Duntechs were very revealing and the additional power (800 wpc into 4 ohms) with the JC-1s didn't hurt.  They were 5 driver, 3-way dynamic speakers. 

I never made the comparison on planars.  But I still have great respect for the VTLs.  BTW, what really sounded special was driving the woofers with the VTL 300s and mids and tweeters with VTL 225s.  I've never heard such a spacious sound in a home system.  But 32 output tubes was a little more than I was willing to live with.  :wink:

mcgsxr

« Reply #14 on: 2 Nov 2017, 07:09 pm »
I liked my MMG's and later 1.6's with a Class AB Yamaha integrated.

I loved the 1.6's with the Crown XLS1500 linked earlier.  I never wanted any other amp during my year with that combo, it was that good for me.

It may have simply been the greater power reserves of the Class D Crown, or perhaps it was the amp topology itself.

Audiophile58

« Reply #15 on: 3 Nov 2017, 03:04 am »
I have owned both 1.7 and 3.6  models and  Magneplsner have done next to Nothing
To improve these. The crossovers are not even close to being correct
Parts quality in the crossovers is Nothing to be desired .the true ribbon is actually
The only thing that is excellent. The frame flexes like a saIl  mye stands are ok .
I have heard custom woodrn ones much better sonicly and  look very nice, better then Magnestands .  There is a very well respected High end cable mfg as well as designer. starting with maggi 1.6..his personal model 3.6 he completely did top quality parts and computer programs dramatic improvement .
I want to see the extent of the final product  first before saying  who it is. It won't be cheap
But it will be Very good compared  to anything up to this point.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #16 on: 3 Nov 2017, 04:29 am »
I have owned both 1.7 and 3.6  models and  Magneplsner have done next to Nothing
To improve these. The crossovers are not even close to being correct
Parts quality in the crossovers is Nothing to be desired .the true ribbon is actually
The only thing that is excellent. The frame flexes like a sail....

Ouch!  :o