DENAFRIPS DACs

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
DENAFRIPS DACs
« on: 16 Jun 2017, 07:37 pm »
I know from a previous thread there are at least two people who have heard (or heard of) the Denafrips Ares. They're made in China. Does anyone have any experience with the other Denafrips models - Pontus, Venus, or Terminator?

I have contacted the Singapore based distributor about auditioning the Pontus or the Venus, but I don't know if I'll do so in the States or wait until I return to Taiwan. Here's the link to the sole distributor:  https://www.vinshineaudio.com
Anyone?

I've found threads on Head-fi.org and 'superbestaudiofriends.org', but no one with actual Pontus or Venus listening experience. The hope is that the Pontus or Venus will be awesomeamazinggetouttaherekiller DACs.

Anyone interested in a tour (if practical)? The usual only oldtimers with lots of built up trust would be able to participate cuz we're talking about $1600 to $2600 components.

Okay,

Thanks for any thoughts.

Michael
« Last Edit: 1 Oct 2018, 03:40 pm by mresseguie »

Mike B.

Re: DENAFRIPS DACs
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2017, 08:00 pm »
They look handsome and have many nice outputs and features. I didn't see which DAC chip they were based around so sent them a e-mail

krustykat

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jun 2017, 08:29 pm »
There is no DAC chip, it uses an FPGA and a precision r2r network for decoding.  Excellent specs, I'd love to hear comparisons of the whole product line to the Holo Spring DACs.

Mike B.

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jun 2017, 09:50 pm »
There is no DAC chip, it uses an FPGA and a precision r2r network for decoding.  Excellent specs, I'd love to hear comparisons of the whole product line to the Holo Spring DACs.

Thanks for the info. I went over the specs quickly. Didn't read any details

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2017, 04:02 am »
The HF thread is probably the most informative but there is also a thread on Stereonet out of Australia.

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/112803-another-discrete-r2r-multibit-pcmdsd-dac-from-china/

Michael, I brought that dac to your attention since you have a home in that neck of the woods so to speak. Not a lot of info. really but mostly really good feed back, especially for the price. My Metrum Octave is a R2R ladder dac but is also NOS. I think the Pontus is NOS but the Ares is not.

mresseguie

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jun 2017, 07:06 am »
The HF thread is probably the most informative but there is also a thread on Stereonet out of Australia.

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/112803-another-discrete-r2r-multibit-pcmdsd-dac-from-china/

Michael, I brought that dac to your attention since you have a home in that neck of the woods so to speak. Not a lot of info. really but mostly really good feed back, especially for the price. My Metrum Octave is a R2R ladder dac but is also NOS. I think the Pontus is NOS but the Ares is not.

Greg,

Please educate me about your DAC and what makes it special. I'll wager I can learn much about the Pontus or Venus by learning about your Metrum Octave. I'll read up on it, but your thoughts and impressions will give my research meat to chew on.  :D

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 20 Jun 2017, 03:59 pm »
Greg,

Please educate me about your DAC and what makes it special. I'll wager I can learn much about the Pontus or Venus by learning about your Metrum Octave. I'll read up on it, but your thoughts and impressions will give my research meat to chew on.  :D

Hi Michael,

Sorry for the delay, really busy right now so not much time to play on AC. I'll let you read up on the technical side of things, and I will give you my opinion and limited experience with NOS and R2R ladder dacs. The first few dacs I tried when getting back into this hobby several years ago were all up sampling. To me they all had a glare to them and while detailed didn't sound very organic or musical. I won't mention what they were so as not to offend anyone who might own one of them. My first NOS dac was the MHDT Havana which has a single tube in it, this dac was very organic and warm sounding and I really learned to enjoy it. I was able to try different tubes and replaced the chip set in it and a nice improvement was had. Then I bought the Metrum Octave and it also sounded organic but with a lot more detail and a cleaner more open sound to it. The Metrum is not only NOS but is a R2R ladder dac. Back when I bought the Metrum, R2R dacs hadn't gotten a lot of traction and I bought it mostly because it was NOS. The first GTG at my house JakeJ brought over his Metrum Hex, this dac is really nice sounding. It reminds me of the Octave but is much clearer and detailed and still retains that open sound and organic warmth that I like. I have not heard a R2R ladder dac that wasn't NOS so the Ares would be a first for me, moving up the ladder for you might be a good move.

Gary at Border Patrol also makes a NOS R2R ladder dac and he has gotten some good press, although limited to a couple of reviews. Look up Border Patrol dac and a few things will pop up.

Like I said my experience is really pretty limited but I can only give you my opinion built on that and not what I have read from someone else. What I've read jives pretty well with what I have experienced but YMMV. 

Regarding a tour of your dac, whatever that might be sounds fantastic to me, I would really be excited about hearing either one of those dacs you mention, especially in my system.

Take Care,

Greg

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 22 Jun 2017, 07:55 am »
Michael,

You may be following this thread since you mentioned it earlier in this one. But just in case...

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/denafrips-r2r-dac.3845/page-5

They will supposedly soon be touring an Ares and a Pontus starting within a week.

I look forward to reading up on the additional opinions. 

Greg

mresseguie

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jun 2017, 02:02 pm »
Greg,

Yup. I posted there a couple weeks ago. However, since I have no history there, I am not allowed to participate. I've been emailing the Singapore distributor (Alvin at Vinshine Audio) and he's ready to send me a DAC to audition. It may well be a Venus. Let me know if you're interested in my bringing it to the G2G. [I'm waiting to hear when my speakers will be available for pick up.] If someone wanted to buy the DAC there and then, Alvin said the warranty is transferable.

Alvin is aware of this thread and may join in(?). I have read a lot about the Ares, the Pontus, and the Terminator, but oh so little about the Venus. The Terminator is too rich for my blood, I'm afraid.

Michael
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2017, 07:03 am by mresseguie »

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 22 Jun 2017, 06:45 pm »
Greg,

Yup. I posted there a couple weeks ago. However, since I have no history there, I am not allowed to participate. I've been emailing the Singapore distributor (Alvin at Vinshade Audio) and he's ready to send me a DAC to audition. It may well be a Venus. Let me know if you're interested in my bringing it to the G2G. [I'm waiting to hear when my speakers will be available for pick up.] If someone wanted to buy the DAC there and then, Alvin said the warranty is transferable.

Alvin is aware of this thread and may join in(?). I have read a lot about the Ares, the Pontus, and the Terminator, but oh so little about the Venus. The Terminator is too rich for my blood, I'm afraid.

Michael

Yes Michael,

Please bring your dac, whichever one you end up with. Perhaps they have a signature sound to them and we will all get a taste of what the dacs are all about.

Alvin has chimed in on other forums so maybe he will stop by.

We all have our breaking point as to how much we want to invest in our gear. Mine is pretty low right now since I have several other important things that need my money. Like a new bulkhead at my Camano place, I don't even like to think about how much that is costing me :duh:.

mresseguie

« Reply #10 on: 24 Jun 2017, 05:33 am »
Bulkhead, huh? That sounds scary.

I've had my share of nasty (read: expensive!) surprises in the last three years that I'm finally getting over, so this is my year to splurge. Well, next year will see smaller splurge, too. Then, I expect to settle in for a few years.

I don't 'need' to buy a new DAC this year, but I 'may want' to buy one especially with my new speakers and new amp, my Gustard X20u is actually going to be my weak link.  :scratch: The Denafrips NOS DACs sure seem like killer components and their prices are right, so I really want to audition one. How can I listen to one without its being shipped to me?

JakeJ

« Reply #11 on: 24 Jun 2017, 03:01 pm »
A well engineered and properly built seawall is very spendy but it's a bullet that can't be dodged if one is maintain the property.

Michael, you are in a quandry (we all are) when it comes to tasting gear from Asia.  You do travel there but it still may be difficult to find a way to audition something.  I imagine high-end audio salons are just not as prevalent as here in the US.

I have bought and sold much gear over the years just to sample them. :sad:

alvin1118

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 25 Jun 2017, 05:05 pm »
Alvin has chimed in on other forums so maybe he will stop by.

Yep i'm here  :D

I've been in touch with Michael to arrange a DENAFRIPS DAC for the get together. I've made a good proposal to Michael just minutes ago, lets see if Michael likes to proceed  :thumb:

mresseguie

« Reply #13 on: 25 Jun 2017, 06:45 pm »
 :banana piano: :drool:

Great news! I will audition a Denafrips Venus. I will take it to our upcoming G2G.

This should be amazing. Thank you, Alvin of Vinshine Audio.

JakeJ

« Reply #14 on: 25 Jun 2017, 10:53 pm »
I second the kudos to Alvin!  Looking forward to the G2G.  :drums: :guitar: :rock: :dance:

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #15 on: 26 Jun 2017, 12:50 am »
Looks like it will be a good trip.  Thanks Alvin and Michael :beer: :beer:

Alan

navi

« Reply #16 on: 26 Jun 2017, 02:32 am »
Bulkhead, huh? That sounds scary.

I've had my share of nasty (read: expensive!) surprises in the last three years that I'm finally getting over, so this is my year to splurge. Well, next year will see smaller splurge, too. Then, I expect to settle in for a few years.

I don't 'need' to buy a new DAC this year, but I 'may want' to buy one especially with my new speakers and new amp, my Gustard X20u is actually going to be my weak link.  :scratch: The Denafrips NOS DACs sure seem like killer components and their prices are right, so I really want to audition one. How can I listen to one without its being shipped to me?

What's wrong with the Gustard?

mresseguie

« Reply #17 on: 26 Jun 2017, 02:51 am »
Hi, Navi.

It's not that anything is wrong with the Gustard. It's more that I'm expanding my horizons and exploring possibilities. If this Denafrips DAC pans out, I can take my Gustard traveling with me when I'm in N. America. The Gustard can be my DAC and my preamp here, and the Venus can (potentially) become my DAC in Taiwan. Alternatively, I might be able sell the Gustard.

I bought the Gustard with the idea that it would be a stepping stone because DAC technology has been advancing at breakneck speed. With the coming addition of my Daedalus Apollo speakers and my Don Sachs Kootenay 120 amp, I am fast approaching a SQ level that I only dreamed of a couple years ago.

navi

« Reply #18 on: 26 Jun 2017, 03:29 am »
OK got it.

I've been looking at the Ares as it's small enough to sit on top of my Cyrus amp.
Vinshine also had a Soundtech M15 (an LS3/5a & Harbeth P3ERS inspired design speaker) that I'm interested in hearing but can't find a person in australia who has one.

alvin1118

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: 26 Jun 2017, 07:20 am »
Most welcome guys, I'm happy to contribute!   :lol:

@navi, I'll PM you on the Soundtech MC15.