Difussers

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Difussers
« Reply #20 on: 11 Jun 2017, 11:16 am »
No expert here, but with the speakers next to the sidewalls, the first reflection point is inches in front of the speaker.

Yup, that would be my guess as well, and with the speakers next to the wall that's where one would need the absorption, and why diffusion might not work.  Again, I'd defer that to the experts.  I'd also note that the op is happy with the sound of his system, so the suggestion for wholesale changes might not be received as well as one might hope.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #21 on: 11 Jun 2017, 11:57 am »
Yup, that would be my guess as well, and with the speakers next to the wall that's where one would need the absorption, and why diffusion might not work.  Again, I'd defer that to the experts.  I'd also note that the op is happy with the sound of his system, so the suggestion for wholesale changes might not be received as well as one might hope.

Yes, a total room change may not be warranted if OP is happy, but I don't see any meaningful improvements to this situation.  Being an audiophile means being on the hunt for improvements.  But sometimes we lose perspective and need to come for a breath of fresh air.  So perhaps a long/soul searching visit to a shop or A/V friend could help set the course for intelligently looking for the next upgrade.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #22 on: 11 Jun 2017, 12:29 pm »
  I'd also note that the op is happy with the sound of his system, so the suggestion for wholesale changes might not be received as well as one might hope.
Hence I prefaced that with "If I could wave my magic wand".  The screen size dominates all other decisions, making them suboptimal.  So the question is what is more important to the OP, audio or video?

bluemeanies

« Reply #23 on: 11 Jun 2017, 01:31 pm »
Thank you everyone for you views and candid remarks.
Looks like I have a lot of reading and some redevelopment in room design.
It seems foam egg crates are not the mainstay for room absorption.
I will have to re-think my room and invest some $$ which at this time my pockets are light.
I am retired, was working part time but laid off.
So this project will take a little time.
As far as the seats 80% of the time it's myself, and the wife but there are occasions when the room is full.

Bummed out a bit after reading the posts but sometimes it's hard to take the medicine that can help you.

Thanks

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #24 on: 11 Jun 2017, 01:58 pm »
Thank you everyone for you views and candid remarks.
Looks like I have a lot of reading and some redevelopment in room design.
It seems foam egg crates are not the mainstay for room absorption.
I will have to re-think my room and invest some $$ which at this time my pockets are light.
I am retired, was working part time but laid off.
So this project will take a little time.
As far as the seats 80% of the time it's myself, and the wife but there are occasions when the room is full.

Bummed out a bit after reading the posts but sometimes it's hard to take the medicine that can help you.

Thanks
I totally disagree with what JLM has said about starting over with the room.  The first place to start is with a microphone and REW.  While pictures are great you need to know what it really "looks" like and that's the only way to know.  There is no doubt that some GIK treatments will help A LOT.  Since tearing your room out and starting over isn't realistic I'd start here and there is no doubt it will sound like a new room if you're able to spend the money on treatments and am patient with measurements. 

bluemeanies

« Reply #25 on: 11 Jun 2017, 03:49 pm »
Thanks jtwrace,
First, the idea of a room makeover with its construction is totally out of line unless one is in a position of "money is no object". The point is those walls are 7.5" thick with mineral fiber, sheet blok, two layers of drywall 5/8" and 1/2" not to mention 2by6's. The room is a bomb shelter! Haha.
I, soon to be 67 cannot do that type of re-construction nor do I want to invest that kind of money. I am more into 2channel over the last 2years which is a transformation for me and the room when it was completed in 2001. HT was priority and it is still important. As mentioned I know I cannot have both the steak and the lobster. I am willing to make some adjustments and invest some $$ in better absorption and difussers as well as corner bass traps but again room re-construction is not going to happen.
I have had many listeners in my dedicated room who were very complimentary about the sound of my 2channel. I myself have been to MANY audio shows, small rooms, moderate size rooms and huge rooms most of which were perfectly square or rectangular and the systems displayed sounded awesome. Clear, great sonics good soundstage.
I took time to think about all of the systems and room configurations I had been in and the one thing they ALL had in common were good acoustics. The room literally did not matter. The music always sounded sweet. Big rooms, small speakers, small rooms big speakers, I sort of had an epiphany after reading all of the posts.
I remember going to the NY audio show and listening to a pair of PSB speakers. They displayed at least six pairs and had them in line from the smallest to the largest. When I walked in this moderate size room I was stunned to find out it was the smallest PSB speaker that was playing, but again the room ascoutics had to make the difference.
I have heard of REW but I am not familiar with the software.
Any suggestions that describe and elaborate or how to use it?

Thank you

jk@home

« Reply #26 on: 11 Jun 2017, 11:37 pm »

bluemeanies

« Reply #27 on: 12 Jun 2017, 11:09 am »
Thank you.

bluemeanies

« Reply #28 on: 1 Jul 2017, 05:38 pm »
JLM you must have a lot of cash or think I do to reconstruct this room.
Re-construction is out of the question for several reasons but me being lazy is not one of them as you have suggested.
I do intend to do some reading...sound reproduction and invite someone that works in the audio industry to  give me some constructive ideas.
I have moved my speakers away from the walls by 6" and still be able to hear that 3dimensional sound I had prior to mention I got them and have read some articles on room absorption and diffusion. I am hoping to invest into absorption panels to replace the foam egg crates.
It may take some time but that is a good.