Grounding Issues???!?!?!????

Pez

Grounding Issues???!?!?!????
« on: 6 May 2017, 02:33 am »
Grounding issues???!?!?

Don't worry!!! We've got you covered!

click photo above for video explanation of how Groundhog works!

Our engineering department says just insert this fuzzy little guy into your audio system at the speaker terminals and.... Ok, seriously, though.

Hum! Buzz! Hiss!

EMC legislation requires certain ways of designing AC power systems and this is not good news for audio systems! It leads to irritating audio gremlins that wreak havoc with your listening enjoyment. This interference is often caused by a missing Ground/Earth connection.

Banish audio gremlins!

At iFi, we know how annoying the gremlins can be so we created the Groundhog. Its sole objective is to put the Ground/Earth back into your system and banish those unwanted audio pests.

All you need to do is use a standard IEC power cable to connect the Groundhog to your audio system. The Groundhog then adds back the missing Ground/Earth connection to dissipate noise. It adds proper ground protection to shield out EMI and RFI noise which in turn eliminates hiss and hum, creating a darker background
sound and higher resolution.

Our Groundhog is one multi-talented animal to provide a variety of connections to suit all audio systems.
RCA base cable – for any audio system with an unused RCA socket.
USB converter – for a computer audio system. Just connect to a spare USB port.
Spade converter – for power supplies with a DC barrel connector.
3.5mm Y-converter – for portable devices with an unused 3.5mm connection.
The retail price of the Groundhog is US$49 (ex-tax) or €59/£49 (incl VAT).

For full product info, Click on Buzzy the Groundhog.

* LEGAL NOTE (iFi audio is fully aware that the first vid is indeed a gopher. We asked a groundhog to do an overly dramatic pose but he saw his shadow and ran.)

Speedskater

• Kevin
Re: Grounding Issues???!?!?!????
« Reply #1 on: 6 May 2017, 12:28 pm »
The problem is that on many audiophile components, the chassis XLR or RCA connectors are not correctly wired. Attaching to those connectors just invites noise and interference into the unit.

Pez

« Reply #2 on: 6 May 2017, 06:33 pm »
The problem is that on many audiophile components, the chassis XLR or RCA connectors are not correctly wired. Attaching to those connectors just invites noise and interference into the unit.

You missed the first part, Don't worry! We've got you covered!!!!

Groundhog comes with different connector options. RCA is merely one of them.  :thumb: if rca doesn't work you can always try the chassis spade.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #3 on: 6 May 2017, 08:18 pm »
No i didn't miss it.  But some audiophile customers might.
A chassis spade is probably the best way to go (unless the chassis is double insulated).

Pez

« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2017, 04:28 pm »

Tour?

Folks,
I'm contemplating sending the Groundhog out on Tour. I want folks to give it a try. Here is a quick and easy explanation on where and how to implement it.
https://flic.kr/p/TzKsP3

Tried to load the image on here but AC won't allow it for some reason.  :scratch:

I am thinking about sending out an iDefender and Groindhog kit. This will allow folks to try lifting the ground between your computer and DAC. Then use Groundhog to replace the earth if need be. Not always going to be necessary, but it could help some folks if they have a ground issue.

Hit me up on PM if you are interested and we'll make sure groindhog is right for your system.  :thumb: