Linear Tube Audio MZ2 pre vs iFi iTube2 pre/buffer

doggie

Re: Linear Tube Audio MZ2 pre vs iFi iTube2 pre/buffer
« Reply #20 on: 1 May 2017, 02:30 am »
I bought an MZ2+ and a Z10 at the beginning of the year from the LTA store which is about 10 minutes from me. They actually come to my house to demo with my Omega Audio speakers. I ended up selling my 301A DHT preamp and First Watt SIT2 amp for the LTA kit. I have never looked back.

Two things to note. The LTA does not really show what it can do until you use NOS tubes. The pre and amp take longer than usual to break in.

With NOS tubes, a good front end, and plenty of break in this equipment is remarkable.

witchdoctor

« Reply #21 on: 1 May 2017, 02:35 am »
That no one's trying to make their mind up between these two. 

A useless comparison, imo.

-Jim

You don't think anyone wants to know how a lower price component compares to a higher price component? That is called being helpful IMO

genjamon

« Reply #22 on: 1 May 2017, 04:14 am »
Hey guys, I haven't abandoned this thread. I've just been listening. While I'm not ready to share listening notes, I have two updates on the comparisons front.

1) LTA forgot to send the basic SMPS with the unit. When it arrives this week, I'll be able to compare the LTA on SMPS to the iFi with its SMPS. That should be more of an apples to apples than what I have at the moment.

2) I've borrowed a buddy's Tubes4Hifi SP14 preamp, the one Don Sachs has souped up. The one I've borrowed has a DACT attenuator, and Mundorf silver/oil on the output. Don's version is still probably a step or two above, but this should give a good taste of that comparison too.

And I do indeed have the NOS tubes installed in the MZ2. LTA said it should be 70-80% burned in at the factory. And I've probably put another 50-75 hrs on it at this point.

lancelock

« Reply #23 on: 3 May 2017, 01:41 am »
Doggie, I have an MZ2-S and ZOTL40. I completely agree that NOS tubes make a big difference. I also live close to LTA and have become friends with Mark. I'm going over there this week to hear the new Tekton speakers he's bringing in and to cut some holes in the top cover of my ZOTL40 so that I have room for the NOS Mullard EL38 tubes I've been using.

Personally at this price point and way above, I don't think there's anything with transformers that can touch the quality sound of these LTA Berning designed amps or at least nothing I've heard.

Lance

genjamon

« Reply #24 on: 8 May 2017, 10:58 pm »
Ok, it's time for me to provide my comments.  Just as reminder, the MZ2 was powered by a Vinnie Rossi Mini supercapacitor power supply with ultra low noise Belleson regulation.  The MZ2 also had the LTA upgraded tubes - which were NOS RCA 12SN7's, and what appeared to be NOS GE 12AT7's.  I could not swap tubes without voiding the in-home trial policy of LTA.  I bypassed my DAC passive VC when using the MZ2, using its remote controlled attenuator instead.

The iFi iTube2 was powered via the iFi iPower 15V supply - since the 12V from the Vinnie unit was underpowering it.  It was used in 0dB buffer-only mode with no other effects engaged, and using the passive VC integrated into my Lampizator DAC. 

Well, the MZ2 is amazingly clean and clear, with nice instrumental tone, and amazing ability to resolve the space of the venue, air, and reverb.  Reverb wasn't just reverb, but the MZ2 resolved many microdynamics to the reverb - a highly differentiated sound.  The MZ2 also had AMAZING bass resolution and weight.  Another level entirely from the iFi unit for sure. 

In comparison, the iFi unit sounded a bit more white-washed in terms of the actual sound of individual instruments.  It also didn't have the bass control and resolution of the MZ2.  In general, just a step less refined of a sound.  Of course, I'd be very curious what it could do with an equivalent quality of power supply, and very well could play at a higher quality.  However, I will say that it didn't embarrass itself by any stretch. 

Ok, now on to the other comparison.  I borrowed a friend's Tubes4Hifi SP14 preamp - outfitted with NOS RCA 6SN7's, Mundorf output caps, and Goldpoint stepped attenuator VC.  The sound was not nearly so squeaky clean and resolved as the MZ2.  However, I have to say I preferred this preamp overall.  The reason was that while it had a sound of its own, that character was a really engaging sound.  It gave a sense of pace and PRAT that I didn't get with the MZ2.  Music had a flow and spirit that was very engaging, and drew me in more than the MZ2.  After the first 15-30 minutes of the MZ2, I would be amazed by the clarity and resolution, but starting to get a bit bored with the sound.  Whereas the SP14 has the kind of sound that drew me in and made me listen more and more.  A more romantic, spirited, emotional connection.  Even though when listening critically and swapping back and forth between the two, the SP14 was clearly the less resolved of the two for short passages and individual instruments.  But the SP14 wasn't completely mushy or unresolved - still pretty high resolution.  So, overall winner for my needs and preferences.

And then going back to the iFi vs MZ2 after the SP14 experience, I found the iFi to have a touch of that same magic of the SP14.  That is, while the instruments are slightly less warm/full than the MZ2 provides, the music from the iFi is just a touch relaxed in a way that lets the music breathe a bit more.  It's almost like the MZ2 was just too refined and clear, to the point where instruments also lost a touch of natural bloom, and decreased ease and flow of the music. 

Well, it's been an wonderful experiment, and I'm truly grateful for LTA's generous in-home trial policy.  I sent the unit back this morning.  I think the MZ2 is an amazing preamp, and am really curious what it sounds like with their 40 watt amp - there could be amazing synergy.  And for some, this could easily be an end of the road preamp.  However, for my preferences, and my system synergy, the SP14 is a better long-term fit I think. 

And in regards to the iFi again, it plays well enough in comparison that I don't feel a strong nagging feeling like I'm missing out by returning the MZ2.  When you compare the two head to head, there are definitely a lot of ways the MZ2 is the better pre, but the iFi has that ease and engagement factor that makes long-term listening work well, and isn't that far behind on refinement factor.  The MZ2 isn't so much better that you strongly miss it when the iFi is in the system.  The iFi is close enough to muddle with auditory memory.  I'm perfectly happy using it for a while until I have either a Don Sachs or some other preamp in hand.  So, in reference to the original few posts of this thread, I think the iFi absolutely holds its own when cost is considered.  I consider it the bigger bargain - while MZ2 is great for the price, the iFi is even better for its asking price. 

So, before I put in an order for a Don Sachs SP14, another buddy of mine is bringing his K&K Mir linestage over tomorrow evening for a session.  I've heard it in his system recently, and let's just say I'm not at all doubting its ability to play in this league. 

Fun times!

RPM123

« Reply #25 on: 9 May 2017, 12:22 am »
Thanks for the nice write up genjamon! I may have to check out the DS SP14 and the MZ2-S with their amp.

genjamon

« Reply #26 on: 9 May 2017, 12:59 am »
You're welcome! Also, keep in mind that I haven't heard the Linear PS made by LTA for the MZ2. I'm kind of kicking myself for not giving it a try. It's possible that the Vinnie PS is partially responsible for the squeaky clean, yet not completely musical performance in my system. Always too many variables to work with!

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #27 on: 9 May 2017, 01:05 am »
Nice review man! You should start doing audio reviews on YouTube... :thumb:

I'm really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the K&K. Larry's got a nice sounding system so it'll be interesting to see if it does for you what it does for him.

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #28 on: 9 May 2017, 01:01 pm »
It is too bad that tube rolling is a no-no with the MZ-2 during the trial/return period.  I have heard this pre with Sylvania 12AT7's and also with Brimar 12AT7's and the Brimars were superior.  On fact, it wasn't even close!

Regards

Randy

genjamon

« Reply #29 on: 9 May 2017, 06:52 pm »
Yeah, it's too bad, and it's quite possible the musicality concerns I had could be addressed through tube rolling.  But given that I heard what I was seeking in another preamp, it seemed best to head in that direction.

lancelock

« Reply #30 on: 10 May 2017, 12:48 am »
I have NOS Tung Sol 12SN7 with NOS Mullard CV4024 and these tubes do bring the MZ2 to another level. This preamp is a tube rollers dream because you can change the character so drastically with different tubes.

From my experience I find the MZ-2 / Micro ZOTL with other amps to be a good preamp, very transparent. With the ZOTL40 it becomes something special, very special indeed.

Chiswocka

« Reply #31 on: 3 Jul 2017, 12:49 pm »
How was the K&K Mir genjamon? Very curious about this beast..

genjamon

« Reply #32 on: 3 Jul 2017, 04:35 pm »
The Mir was excellent in many ways.  It has a very meaty sound - lots of weight and image density.  But not at the expense of details and delineation of instruments.  And my system with the Mir had a lot of the character of my buddy's system when I heard it several days before.  So, I think the Mir is responsible for a lot of that character. 

Ultimately, I didn't prefer it to the sound of the SP14 in my system, so I've gone ahead and bought Chris Adams's Don Sachs pre that was for sale here about a month ago.  I've been gone in Europe for about a month, so it's supposed to be delivered later this week.  I'm really looking forward to that! I found the Mir to be very pleasing, but was concerned that the meaty and dense sound would become boring over time, if all music had that same sound.  Sometimes lean needs to sound lean, and sometimes meaty and dense can detract from lithe and luminous from within.  So, we'll see if the Don Sachs SP14 brings the goods.  I have my fingers crossed.

But I would say the Mir, MZ2, and SP14 all play in the same league, with just differences in flavor. 

Pryso

« Reply #33 on: 3 Jul 2017, 05:41 pm »
genjamon, I have a Sachs upgraded (he too offers a few parts options) SP-14 which I've owned for several months.  I suspect you are in for a treat, I consider it to be quite special.

I also have a few online friends with LTA components and I look forward to auditioning a ZOTL 40 with my Sachs.

Steve

« Reply #34 on: 4 Jul 2017, 12:05 am »
I hope this is not too far off the subject, but it is going to be impossible to find the NOS tubes, to make components sound better. When is someone going to design a new component around a new tube?

Cheers
Steve

Larkston Zinaspic

« Reply #35 on: 4 Jul 2017, 12:17 am »
I already own one of your preamps, Steve, so perhaps the answer to that question lies with you? Just sayin'.

Steve

« Reply #36 on: 4 Jul 2017, 03:25 am »
I already own one of your preamps, Steve, so perhaps the answer to that question lies with you? Just sayin'.
I remember Larkston. You know I already have, decades ago; but unfortunately I am retired and taking care of mom.
I was just hoping to jump start other manufacturers who may read this string to at least attempt such. It can be done
if they would just work at it.

Now, back to your regulatrly scheduled program.

Steve

doggie

« Reply #37 on: 21 Jul 2017, 02:44 am »
It is too bad that tube rolling is a no-no with the MZ-2 during the trial/return period.  I have heard this pre with Sylvania 12AT7's and also with Brimar 12AT7's and the Brimars were superior.  On fact, it wasn't even close!

I have an MZ2+ and a Z10. The first thing I did when I got them home was to replace the tubes. LTA is about as flexible a company as you will find. I will say that I live in DC and Mark of LTA had done a demo in my home so I was already sold and knew I would be keeping them...even with the stock tubes.

Having said that, tube rolling makes a very big difference and with the 6v/12v switch you have tons of options especially for the MZ2 output tubes which as 12v versions are very inexpensive a widely available.

doggie

« Reply #38 on: 21 Jul 2017, 02:52 am »
I have NOS Tung Sol 12SN7 with NOS Mullard CV4024 and these tubes do bring the MZ2 to another level. This preamp is a tube rollers dream because you can change the character so drastically with different tubes.

From my experience I find the MZ-2 / Micro ZOTL with other amps to be a good preamp, very transparent. With the ZOTL40 it becomes something special, very special indeed.

The 12 volt versions of the 6SN7 are widely available and  a fraction of the cost of equivalent "audiophile approved" versions.  Also the 7N7(6v)/14N7(12v) work wonderfully and are electrically equivalent predecessors of the 6SN7/12SN7. They do use a loctal socket so you need to get adapters from EBAY which are also cheap.

lancelock

« Reply #39 on: 23 Jul 2017, 12:49 am »
Doggie,

I just got a pair of grey bottle Marconi BL63 's from eBay and these tube are even better than my Tung Sol 12SN7's. You do need the adapters though.