Bluesound Node 2 vs. Oppo Sonica?

Ictwoody

• Art Director. Artist. Kansan.
Bluesound Node 2 vs. Oppo Sonica?
« on: 29 Mar 2017, 10:47 pm »
Anyone have any opinion of the two? I have a Bluesound Powernode 2 and I quiet like it. I am thinking about replacing my Schiit Bifrost Multibit in my main rig with one of these all in one streamer/NAS/DAC combos. Just not sure which one. I like that the Bluesound already does MQA decoding on Tidal. Hoping OPPO puts out a firmware release allowing the Sonica to do the same.

All info is welcome. Here's pics, cause I know everyone likes pics.

- Woody

jpm

Re: Bluesound Node 2 vs. Oppo Sonica?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2017, 10:48 pm »
Roon support is a plus for the Bluesound

jacknife

« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2017, 11:41 pm »
I don't have any experience with the Oppo but just got the Bluesound last week and love it!  With Tidal Hifi it sounds great especially with roon upsampling to 24/192.  MQA is a plus but haven't used it much yet.  It's nice to be able to kick back in my chair and play anything that comes to mind via iPad in cd quality+.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 30 Mar 2017, 10:08 am »
Haven't heard either, but on the surface it appears that the Sonica is a significant step up (latest generation Sabre chip, handles higher resolution formats, fully balanced design) while the Node 2 is being marketed as a step up from MP3 and somehow only weighs 2.5 pounds.  But the Node 2 has headphone output and is MQA compliant, which may or may not be important to customers.  (I've briefly auditioned Tidal cuts with/without MQA from a Node 1 at a friend's place and wasn't impressed.) 

I've read a mixed bag of user comments with numerous problems on the Node 2 with connectivity (speciality computer applications, like audio, scare the crap out of me).  Both suffer from dependance on tablet or smartphone to control.  Where oh where is a real modern replacement for the elegant Squeeze Box Duet with handheld controller?

Balanced design, hard drive direct input, and having stereo RCA outputs for running stereo subwoofers are important features to me.  But what scares me about Oppo is that they recently discontinued the HA-1 (DAC/preamp/headphone amp) with no warning, so what will factory support be like?
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2017, 11:56 am by JLM »

JackD

« Reply #4 on: 31 Mar 2017, 12:28 am »
Woody

I think the Sonica is a very good DAC and a more than adequate streamer. As with all new products of this type the app will mature and features can be added. Not really sure what Oppo discontinuing a headphone amp with a chip they don't use anymore has to do with this discussion or that audio companies announce that they are discontinuing products.  That's what dealers do when they want to clear stock at a discount. Also Oppo's record for customer support is excellent and far exceeds most.

will mac

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jul 2017, 07:05 am »
What other options at the price point? The Node 2 has been around for a while
Just curious.