Mayberry R.F.D.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Mayberry R.F.D.
« on: 8 Mar 2017, 02:51 am »
The reason why Mayberry was so peaceful and quiet was because nobody was married. Andy, Aunt Bea, Barney, Floyd, Howard, Goober, Gomer, Sam, Earnest T Bass, Helen, Thelma Lou, Clara and, of course, Opie were all single. The only married person was Otis, and he stayed drunk.

dB Cooper

Re: Mayberry R.F.D.
« Reply #1 on: 8 Mar 2017, 02:58 am »
Never thought about that before, but you're right.

brooklyn

« Reply #2 on: 8 Mar 2017, 05:22 am »
Never thought about that before, but you're right.

Me neither but I don't remember Otis being married..

srb

« Reply #3 on: 8 Mar 2017, 05:39 am »
From the Mayberry Historical Society

"Can someone tell me how many married couples were actually shown on TAGS? I can't think of that many."

"Good question!  In most sitcoms, it is standard for the leading characters to be single, so that the writers can have more leeway in writing interesting situations for them to get into.  For example, if Andy was married to Helen, and Barney was married to Thelma Lou, we wouldn't have had the terrific "Fun Girl" episodes; and if Ernest T. Bass were married, we wouldn't have had ANY episodes with him at all, since in all 5 of his episodes he wants to get romantically involved with someone.  This goes for the Darlings, too -- every one of the plots of their 6 episodes involves marriage.

There are a few married couples we see on TAGS, such as: Otis and Rita Campbell, Ralph and Verlaine Campbell, Fred and Jenny Boone, Sam and Clara Lindsey, Maudie and Naylor, Uncle Ollie and Aunt Nora, Charlene and Dud Wash.  And then there are other characters who are said to be married, but we never see their spouses, such as: Floyd Lawson, Mayor Pike, Sam Becker" -- Paul Mulik

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #4 on: 8 Mar 2017, 01:41 pm »
Hi JerryM,
    You might have to change your subject title a little. Mayberry R.F.D. was the continuation of the Andy Griffith show. Andy was tired of doing the show and wanted out. He passed the baton to farmer Ken Berry to star in the show. Andy stayed on for a couple of shows and in a 2 part show he married Helen Crump. Opie left too and Barney did too but did  a cameo in the married episode.
    Don Knotts had already left the show to pursue his movie career, Ghost and Mr. Chicken, Reluctant Astronaut, Mr. Limpett, ect...
    In about 68 or 1969 Howard Mcnear, Floyd the barber passed away. He had a stroke before that and was always seen later in the Andy Griffith show sitting down. Sad but true he was even funnier after he had his stroke, he was that good!
    He was replaced by Emitt the fix it man who started with the Andy G. show and morphed into the Mayberry R.F.D. show which went about 2.5 years, 1969-1971 ish. Emitt was married and his wife was a regular on the show.
    Some people have accused me of watching too much TV . Maybe there right...Mark Korda

brother love

« Reply #5 on: 8 Mar 2017, 01:58 pm »
This thread got me thinking about one Andy Griffith episode where a married couple was fighting & Andy intervened. Funny stuff !

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0512412/