Mom stinks, please deodorize her. Please advise re: Ions, filters, Ozone...?

sonicxtc

Mom stinks? :scratch:
Who writes something like that? What a...

Okay, okay. Here's the scoop. My elderly mother is staying with us for several months (or more). My lovely, wonderful, multi-substance allergic significant other is also blessed with a serious snooperific olfactory sense. If you cooked bacon on a Tuesday when she's out of town, she'll smell it on Friday and have to air out the house for two hours.
[If only I could swap her nostrilphilia sense for audiophile sense!]

So? Well, mom showers regularly and has good hygiene, but, let's face it, old folks can have a slight odor about them. I do NOT notice a particular odor at all, but mom is not meeting the WAF smell test.

So, what technology exists to radically minimize odors? We have a typical air circulating room fan/filter unit, but that's just not enough and it is LOUD! It's not audiophile approved!!! Even using a linear power supply doesn't make it quieter.  I've read a bit about ozone units and ionizers and I need to find a solution.

PLEASE tell me what products you recommend and/or have actually utilized for odors. Perhaps some of you have faced something similar with pets or farm animals or space aliens who pop in for the weekend.

Hey, this is embarrassing. It hurts me to write all this; it even hurts to laugh this much, but at least I'm being honest. It's WAY more a WAF issue than a mom issue, IMHO, but now I've gotta deal with both of them. :uzi:
THANKS.

Does this belong in the Karma Circle?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel

Folsom

This would work best, you might have to make your own. You can buy trehalose online.

You can also bathe in it.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
You can also bathe in it.
This may works, seems it is in her skin, any bactericidal soap.

*Scotty*

She may not be washing her hair every time she showers. My mom had her hair washed and set couple of time a week at local beauty salon and this helped.
 This was a small town and she got a discount because she went there for years.
Scotty

Folsom

This may works, seems it is in her skin, any bactericidal soap.

Trehalose has ABSOLUTELY ZERO ANYTHING AT ALL TO DO WITH BACTERIA. The idea is absolutely ludicrous that there's a relation between bactericidal anything and Trehalose. It's like saying if oil lubricates a car's engine, than a saline solution surely would too.

Trehalose helps old cells not produce the smelly stuff by supporting them internally.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Trehalose has ABSOLUTELY ZERO ANYTHING AT ALL TO DO WITH BACTERIA. The idea is absolutely ludicrous that there's a relation between bactericidal anything and Trehalose. It's like saying if oil lubricates a car's engine, than a saline solution surely would too.

Trehalose helps old cells not produce the smelly stuff by supporting them internally.
I suggest soap and water, what you have in your sleeve better than it?

jaywills

We had a significant pet odor problem in the downstairs of our house (urine).  Two of these (total), each placed in the opposite side of the downstairs, took care of the problem.  Quiet and effective.  No affiliation other than as a satisfied customer.  Good luck.

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Compact-AirGenius-Cleaner-Reducer/dp/B01F7B1RUI/ref=sr_1_11?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1487189809&sr=1-11&keywords=air+purifier+honeywell

Folsom

I suggest soap and water, what you have in your sleeve better than it?

Stopping cells from making the odor, instead of removing it briefly as you suggest.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
Stopping cells from making the odor, instead of removing it briefly as you suggest.
This looks chemical, water is cheaper and safer.
Anyway the person will use whatever her prefer.

Folsom

It's not chemical. It's two glucose molecules stuck together in a way that they can't be broken down without trehalase, which our bodies have extremely small amounts of to the point where it's moot. Trehalose can be used as a table sugar replacement with no calories, and only will benefit one's health. It typically improves memory in old people, and improves cellular responses.

Trehalose is what keeps many plants alive and able to bounce back in the spring, and allows many reptile/amphibian animals to endure severe cold and spring back to life. The reason is it prevents cellular collapse. Here's a plant that's full of trehalose.

You might notice the link I provided states 2% trehalose. Give up, it's magic and you can't replace it with water and bacteria soaps. If all it took was some bathing then no one old would ever smell bad and this topic would be moot.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
With old skin, it's not a good idea to shower/bath more than twice a week to avoid breakdown.

True HEPA filters are very resistive to air flow, so are big (no portable vacuum cleaner is big enough) and must be certified by a testing firm once the enclosure is in place to ensure the media hasn't ruptured or the perimeter seals broken. 

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
No, this does NOT belong in the Karma Circle, we are NOT giving away anyone's mother.

Take up smoking cigars, then you wife can complain about the stogies.
Tell her to deal with it and live happily ever after.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
No, this does NOT belong in the Karma Circle, we are NOT giving away anyone's mother.

Take up smoking cigars, then you wife can complain about the stogies.
Tell her to deal with it and live happily ever after.
+1
If your wife/partner is sensitive to someone who has bathed daily, the problem is not your mother.  Air out the house two days after cooking bacon??? I seriously hope this is hyperbole. I mean, a hound dog would have trouble with that. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
With old skin, it's not a good idea to shower/bath more than twice a week to avoid breakdown.
I think you mean say twice per day, mainly before sleep.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio

Although technically, that would solve sonicxtc's dilemma  :lol:

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
I've read a bit about ozone units and ionizers and I need to find a solution.

Ozone does work for reducing odors and precipitating contaminants in the air, through oxidation and ionization respectively, but it can also be an irritant for those same reasons so should be treated with a bit more care/caution if you go that route.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Although technically, that would solve sonicxtc's dilemma  :lol:

That is true but then we'd be opening up the floodgates.
Weird Uncle Bob, age 43, housebroken, pick a number between one and five, will deliver within the CONUS...

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
"Weird Uncle Bob"
Careful there fella! I'm an Uncle and I'm pretty normal..... well I think so anyway.. I bathe daily whether I need it or not!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
Its 25ºC now, I already take 2 baths til now and wash hair too, girls even take more.
W/2 showers per week even a Miss Universe young woman would stink :deadhorse: