Photography course

gsm18439

Re: Photography course
« Reply #20 on: 17 Feb 2017, 12:03 am »
Penn, Cartier-Bresson, Weston, Steiglitz, Adams, Avedon, Cunningham, Abbott, Bernhard, Steiglitz, Steichen, Arbus. . . They were the greats; each brought a unique viewpoint. Then are a few who are still living, but have stopped working - Tice, Caponigro. Finally, there are some that are still productive: Salgado, Kenna. But once learning the basics, nothing replaces looking and doing and then learning to look.

Genesis was a great exhibit, but Salgado showed too much and too many images.

Thanks for the heads-up about Penn. While his portraits are unparalleled, I have seen a couple of still-lifes that are to die for.

I would add Avedon's "In The American West" to a list of great projects like Salgado's Workers and Genesis. The prints are monumental.

drphoto

« Reply #21 on: 17 Feb 2017, 12:18 am »
In the American West was just an incredible piece of work. The exhibit was stunning, with larger than life prints (thank you 8x10 camera) I have the book and even for lithos, its pretty damn great.

I simply can't image how this NY photographer went to these places (county fairs and rodeos, if I remember) and convinced these people to participate. The ability of a portrait photographer to make a connection with the subject is just as important as the technical part of the picture. Alvedon was a master of this. You can even see it in his fashion work.

Sorry to yammer on, I just get jacked talking photography.

md92468

« Reply #22 on: 17 Feb 2017, 12:40 am »
There are plenty of extraordinary photographers out there to check out in all schools of photography...from documentary to landscape to street and everything in between. Some of my favorites off the top of my head:

Eugene Richards
Elliott Erwitt
Alex Webb
Sergio Larrain
Saul Leiter
Gary Winogrand
Leonard Freed
Josef Koudelka
Marc Riboud
Morley Baer
Klavdij Sluban

So, so many...

drphoto

« Reply #23 on: 17 Feb 2017, 01:24 am »
don't forget Helen Levitt. She was a bloody brilliant 'street' photographer. Great eye, and a subtle sense of humor. Now Elliot Erwitt was just outright funny with some of his pics.

You did mention others......Bill Brant. When I was young I was enamored with flashy commercial work by guys like Pete Turner. One day in an art library I discovered "The Shadow of Light" by Brandt. and it literally brought me to tears. But, I still love Pete Turner  8)

Sorry....rambling again......

But back to the OP (hopefully) I derailed my own career because I was always plagues by doubt. I always compared myself to these masters and felt I came up short. Don't let that happen. Get inspired by these people, but don't be intimidated by them. Always room for a new voice, even if your audience is just family and friends. If you learn to take really cool shots of you family.....that would be an amazing gift to them.....and yourself.

Pick up that camera and practice!

md92468

« Reply #24 on: 17 Feb 2017, 01:37 am »
Feel free to ramble, Dr....that's what forums are for. ;)

Yes, my list was by no means exhaustive...as I said it was just off the top of my head (it was kind of like thanking the Academy...you're bound to forget folks). Levitt and Brandt were of course wonderful photographers. Jill Friedman. Robert Adams. W. Eugene Smith. Again, so many.

And 100% agreed on your last point. I now find these photographers (and others) inspiring rather than an impossible standard against which to hold myself...and as a result my work has gotten much better. It's cliché, but it really is about the experience...

gsm18439

« Reply #25 on: 17 Feb 2017, 11:20 am »
I also recommend going to exhibits and to galleries that have shows and not just looking on-line and in books. There is something about a real print that is not always captured accurately on-line or by books.

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #26 on: 17 Feb 2017, 06:43 pm »
I also recommend going to exhibits and to galleries that have shows and not just looking on-line and in books. There is something about a real print that is not always captured accurately on-line or by books.

+1!    :thumb:

Photon46

« Reply #27 on: 18 Feb 2017, 08:13 pm »
Can't disagree with anything said so far. However, in the spirit of providing concrete recommendations for improving family portraiture (as the OP requested,) here are a couple of good books full of ideas. Ms. Celantano's book is written from the perspective of a commercial family photographer and while some might find her style lacking in uniqueness and not very artful, it's still got lots of good advice about lighting, posing, etc. Both books have the "look inside" feature on Amazon, so you can see if they provide the type of advice and information you're seeking.

drphoto

« Reply #28 on: 23 Feb 2017, 03:55 am »
To, finally get back to Mr. OP's original question. I put up a post months ago in eye fidelity as my guide as to how to take better pictures in a couple of simple steps for the novice. Now obviously this is not a complete solution, and I am no expert. I was (and sorta am) a working pro commercial shooter in a mid level market for 30 years. And I have done a few national ad campaigns, but none anyone will remember.

Just do a search if you are interested. And sorry if we derailed your thread by talking about other stuff.

I hope you have fun and take great pics.