Can Vandersteen 2ces pair with any sub? Home theater question.

davetroy

Excuse me if this question is ridiculous, but I don't have to pair Vandys with a Vandy sub, do I? I'm asking because I love my 2ces, but I now have only one room for listening and watching TV. I'm currently using a Vizio soundbar with an SVS sub, but I have to think that the 2ces with the SVS would sound a lot betters for TV...if I can do it. I'd use my Onkyo surround receiver or pony up for a home theater pre-amp to go with my McCormack 0.5 amp. Of course, I'd keep using the 2ces for music.

Does this make any kind of sense? Am I missing something here?

By the way, I'm using a passive pre that doesn't have the outputs I'd need.

Thanks for your help,
Dave

JackD

If your SVS has speaker level inputs just run a second set of speaker cables from the McCormack  to the SVS. 

davetroy

Thanks, Jack.

It does have speaker level inputs. So I'd run the speaker cables from the McCormack to the SVS high level inputs, then use the outputs to run them back to the Vandersteens? Are there any downsides to doing it this way?

The sub is an SVS SB12-Plus. It's a powered sub.

Also, if I want to make my TV part of the system, I'd then need an AV receiver or an AV processor/pre, wouldn't I?

Dave

dminches

Are you looking to use the sub for 5.1 only or music too? 

How are your 2CEs connected now?  Which pre-amp and amp?

davetroy

The 2ces are connected to a McCormack 0.5 DNA amp and a passive pre-amp (I can't tell you which one; I bought it from a person in China. It basically looks like a fancy cigarette box; very basic).

If I used the 2ces with the SVS sub, it would be 2.1 for TV (until I buy the Vandersteen center channel, which is a possibility but not something I'm planning to do any time soon). I'd use the 2ces for music, too. The sub is pretty nice. I haven't listened to a lot of subs, but I do like how this one sounds. Whether or not it would blend with the 2ces is another story.

dminches

I probably wouldn't use the sub for music since it won't be matched to the 2 CEs.  For TV I would connect the sub to the LFE out of the Onkyo. 

davetroy

Thanks. That was my concern. So would I then connect everything to the Onkyo-–2ces and the sub? That's what I can't figure out. If I did that, how would I bypass the sub for music?

dminches

IF the sub is connected to the Onkyo LFE output there shouldn't be any signal when you are listening to 2 channel music.

davetroy

I'm going to set it up and see how it works out. I can't imagine that the 2ces with the sub won't be far superior to the Vizio soundbar with the sub for watching and listening to TV. Thanks again.

Think there's anything to gain by buying a pre-pro AV to go with the McCormack and running it through that, or should the Onkyo be sufficient? I'm not really a big fan of the Onkyo AV receiver; too many bells and whistles that I don't need.

JackD

Dave ]

Since your SVS is sealed it will work fine with the 2CE's.  I have used Vandersteen and multiple other sealed sub brands with 2CE's, 3A Sigs and Treo's. Though the Vandersteen subs may be the "preferred" choice they all will work. The trick is not to cross the sub too high or turn it up too loud. With the 2CE's I would start at about 65 hz and work down. To connect them to the McCormack  run two separate sets of  speaker cables one pair to the 2CE and one pair to the sub.  It will have no negative effect on the McCormack. Let the Vandersteens run full range and just use the sub to fill the the foundation. 

davetroy

Re: Can Vandersteen 2ces pair with any sub? Home theater question.
« Reply #10 on: 15 Dec 2016, 06:48 pm »
For TV purposes, can I use the Onkyo receiver as a pre with the McCormack or is that not a viable option?

I guess I'm getting confused because the McCormack amp only has one set (left and right) of speaker outputs, and the 2ces are bi-wired, so how can I run two separate sets of speaker cables from the amp?

Dave
« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2016, 08:11 pm by davetroy »

JackD

« Reply #11 on: 16 Dec 2016, 06:13 am »
You can use the Onkyo for TV if you want if you were doing it that way before with HT bypass.  You only need one set of speaker outputs. The second set to the HSU doesn't need to be anything special either.  Even Vandersteen ships his subs with in-wall grade white jacket cable.  On the amp end either use two spades under each terminal or one spade and one banana. You don't want to go from the McCormack to the sub and then the Vandersteen's as that adds another unnecessary crossover in the mix.

mudgetroy

« Reply #12 on: 18 Dec 2016, 03:32 am »
One final question: I just realized that my passive pre does have two sets of outputs. So, I think I can do the following, right?

1. One set of wires from passive pre to amp.
2. One set of wires from passive pre to the sub's high level in.
3. Amp to main speakers.
4. Control the sub's crossover manually.

Would that be the normal way of doing it?

davetroy

« Reply #13 on: 18 Dec 2016, 03:39 am »
Please excuse the post as mudgetroy. Didn't realize I had another account.

Anyway, my apologies, but I was wrong and suspect there's an easy way of doing this. My passive pre does have two sets of outputs but no sub out. So, can I do the following?

1. Passive pre out to sub high level in.
2. Passive pre out to amp.
3. Amp to speakers.
4. Control sub crossover manually.

This would be the normal way of doing it, no? I'm apologize for wasting time if this is so.

Dave

JackD

« Reply #14 on: 18 Dec 2016, 04:34 am »
Dave

Yes you can do it that way too.  If you have access to a second pair of speaker cables, even cheap ones, I would try it both ways and see which one sounds the best.

ctsooner

« Reply #15 on: 16 Feb 2017, 08:23 pm »
Personally, I'd do what Dmiches says and run the music without the sub as it shouldn't need it and then run the sub for your 2.1 TV.  JMHO.