Long overdue Ryan update

Wind Chaser

Re: Long overdue Ryan update
« Reply #20 on: 28 Sep 2016, 06:35 am »
Ryan - In order to make the work less stressful and less daunting, I recommend that you only focus on one project at a time that you are sure you can make progress on, and set goals that are small and attainable for each day. When I feel overloaded, I often use this tactic.  Give yourself personal time everyday and try to do something active, even if it's just walking a mile.  Having a dog helps because they will force you to get out and walk.

Great advice, but regarding dogs, don't assume they want, or are willing to be your walking partner. My dog refuses to go for walks. Even though he hates being inside, he'd rather stay at home and wait on the sofa for me to return from my walk without him. I have forced him to go on occasion,  but he's not into it, so I respect his preference.

If you're thinking of owning a dog, in all fairness you should be an animal lover. It's a serious responsibility that requires a serious commitment both in terms of time and money - but it's worth it. In a good home, the dog will become a member of the family and require as much love and acknowledgement as anyone else. Myself, I set aside at least 1 hour everyday for playtime. When I can, I take him with me when I have to go out, even if it's just running errands. He loves car rides, but I'm careful not to leave in the car unattended especially if it's hot outside.

Training a dog requires effort, but if you have a good relationship with your dog, he will want to please you. Sometimes they will surprise you and sometimes they will piss you off. But if you truly love animals, it's more than worth it. A dog's steadfast, unconditional, and nonjudgmental love is second to none.

A few things to consider are breed and temperament. Then there is the cost of feeding and vet bills... feeding a bigger dog a quality diet can be surprisingly costly... vet bills come without warning and can add up quick... A weekend business trip may require making an arrangement to have someone look after your best buddy while you are away.

Anyhow, just a few thoughts to consider.

GentleBender

« Reply #21 on: 28 Sep 2016, 12:16 pm »
Good hearing from you Ryan. Bless you as you continue to heal and trust in God to help you through it.

Luis B

« Reply #22 on: 17 Oct 2016, 05:15 pm »
Good to hear from you, Ryan!