« Reply #20 on: 9 Sep 2016, 11:41 am »
Apologies.

Keep the topic on football
« Last Edit: 9 Sep 2016, 04:58 pm by Emil »

macrojack

• Restricted
Re: NFL Football '16-17
« Reply #21 on: 9 Sep 2016, 12:54 pm »
This is a football thread - N.F.L. football - and Tebow is a baseball player. His sideshow will play much better in the MLB.

I was right about the Bronkies trailing big at the half but dead wrong about their capacity for comeback. Trevor Siemian looks as good as Osweiler already. Give him a couple more games and he may well be better. He certainly seems less subject to panic.

And, Emil, please note that this is a no prayer zone.

zybar

• Facilitator
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #22 on: 9 Sep 2016, 01:05 pm »
Everybody,

Please tread lightly on the Kapernick issue.

I would love to see some constructive conversation on the topic, but if it starts to go south, I will quickly pull the plug.

George

Emil

« Reply #23 on: 9 Sep 2016, 01:20 pm »
And, Emil, please note that this is a no prayer zone.

Sorry. didnt mean to offend :lol:

We'll stay focused on Kapernicks sideshow

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #24 on: 9 Sep 2016, 01:45 pm »
The Kaepernick scandal, like so many other things in our society, appears to be an example of the media telling us what to care about. My take is that we have a young man with concerns about the way his ethnic peers are treated as a class by the police, the media and open society. Were it not for the cameras trained on him and the editorials supporting and excoriating him, it would amount to a silent protest. Instead, the media rallies to create a story they can milk for its sales value.

Like so many other "stories" generated by the need to fill a 24 hour news cycle, it really hasn't much value.

Cam Newton being whacked in the head with no penalty calls is more like what we might discuss this morning. I went to bed during the 2nd quarter so I did not see any non-calls. Last season I remember some running backs leading with their head or even lowering it just before contact. In those cases, how can you blame the defender? Were last night's hits clear cut violations? I'd rather hear it from you than from ESPN.

zybar

• Facilitator
« Reply #25 on: 9 Sep 2016, 01:53 pm »
The Kaepernick scandal, like so many other things in our society, appears to be an example of the media telling us what to care about. My take is that we have a young man with concerns about the way his ethnic peers are treated as a class by the police, the media and open society. Were it not for the cameras trained on him and the editorials supporting and excoriating him, it would amount to a silent protest. Instead, the media rallies to create a story they can milk for its sales value.

Like so many other "stories" generated by the need to fill a 24 hour news cycle, it really hasn't much value.

Cam Newton being whacked in the head with no penalty calls is more like what we might discuss this morning. I went to bed during the 2nd quarter so I did not see any non-calls. Last season I remember some running backs leading with their head or even lowering it just before contact. In those cases, how can you blame the defender? Were last night's hits clear cut violations? I'd rather hear it from you than from ESPN.

There were two clear headshots on Newton by Marshall and Stewart on separate plays that will almost certainly draw a hefty fine from the league offices.

It is blatantly obvious that there is a double standard when it comes to Cam Newton and all of the other QB's in the league.  If Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Manning, etc...were hit in the same fashion there would have not only been penalties called, there might even had been an ejection! 

The only other QB who gets hit "somewhat" like Cam is Roethlisberger and I am confident he would have gotten the calls last night.

George

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #26 on: 9 Sep 2016, 02:23 pm »
When there was some talk about this last year I remember commenters saying that, unlike the other QBs, he is a running back who challenges tacklers.

zybar

• Facilitator
« Reply #27 on: 9 Sep 2016, 02:25 pm »
When there was some talk about this last year I remember commenters saying that, unlike the other QBs, he is a running back who challenges tacklers.

The hits I was referencing weren't while he was acting as a running back.

George

bummrush

« Reply #28 on: 9 Sep 2016, 02:35 pm »
Off topic i suppose but if the q b from s f had a lick of common sense and same with politicians they'd bring up mass incarceration of blacks due tthe failed ,,drug war , but g d  after 50 yrs you cant hardly find one or 2 people who ever ever talk about it.

Emil

« Reply #29 on: 9 Sep 2016, 04:44 pm »
apologies.

keep the topic back on  football

zybar

• Facilitator
« Reply #30 on: 9 Sep 2016, 05:55 pm »
apologies.

keep the topic back on  football

No need to apologize.

I am fine with the topic...just want to avoid major food fights.

George

PeteG

« Reply #31 on: 9 Sep 2016, 05:57 pm »
George is right, I'm a big Broncos fan and glad they won but the one hit to the head with offsetting penalties was bad.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #32 on: 9 Sep 2016, 06:47 pm »
...and Newton is young and BIG.  15 yards and a fine is not enough to prevent a team from taking out a Brady, Palmer, Romo, Brees type. 
In the case of that last hit on Newton, I'd be in favor of a 8 game suspension.  Take away half a years salary instead of a pocket change fine.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #33 on: 9 Sep 2016, 06:54 pm »
The point here seems to be that the League is not enforcing the existing statutes. Why do you think harsher penalties would matter if they aren't enforcing the rules currently in place?

It is a pet peeve of mine that enforcement across the board is inconsistent, including the penalties for crime and insolence.

randytsuch

« Reply #34 on: 9 Sep 2016, 08:35 pm »
I'm from LA, and after 20 years the Rams are back.

I have mixed feelings, I grew up as a Rams fan, my dad had season tickets starting in the 60s, and for the last 5 years or so before they moved, I shared a season ticket with my brother.  So I hated Georgia for moving the team to St Louis. 

I've followed them somewhat since the move, and will watch them Monday night for sure.  They look like an average team at best, and with Seattle and Arizona in their conference my expectations are not high.

Randy

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #35 on: 9 Sep 2016, 09:49 pm »

I have mixed feelings, I grew up as a Rams fan, my dad had season tickets starting in the 60s, and for the last 5 years or so before they moved, I shared a season ticket with my brother.  So I hated Georgia for moving the team to St Louis. 

I've followed them somewhat since the move, and will watch them Monday night for sure.  They look like an average team at best, and with Seattle and Arizona in their conference my expectations are not high.

Randy
Maybe you can beat up on the Niners ----- that's something, right?

randytsuch

« Reply #36 on: 9 Sep 2016, 10:23 pm »
Maybe you can beat up on the Niners ----- that's something, right?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I remember watching Montana, Rice and Taylor rip through the Ram defense, very frustrating.
So I guess that would be something.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #37 on: 9 Sep 2016, 11:12 pm »

Randy

I think if I was a Rams fan I would be a little miffed that the front office for whatever reason thinks Jeff Fisher is worth keeping around. 21 seasons and only 6 were better than .500. After watching Hard Knocks I felt it only reinforced the notion that he's not a good leader and between him and Greg Williams they just don't come off like they're that good at what they do. I found this short article that explains a few things, maybe he just needs to shave his mustache...

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/01/7-stats-that-prove-how-wonderfully-average-jeff-fishers-head-coaching-record-is

randytsuch

« Reply #38 on: 9 Sep 2016, 11:38 pm »
Lately the talk has been how the Ram's number 1 pick QB, Jared Goff is the 3rd string qb, won't even be active for the Monday night game.

Good thing they gave up so much to get him. :roll:

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #39 on: 9 Sep 2016, 11:55 pm »
Lately the talk has been how the Ram's number 1 pick QB, Jared Goff is the 3rd string qb, won't even be active for the Monday night game.

Good thing they gave up so much to get him. :roll:

That move blew me away too. You would think the Rams of all teams would have learned after what the Redskins did to get the #2 pick from them for RG3.

Of course as a Cardinals fan I'm just fine with how the Rams are being run.  :lol:

But now watch this will be the year they go 12-4 and knock the Cards out of playoff contention... :duh: