Vandersteen 2w super mod

Manolo

• Consulting Structural Engineer
Vandersteen 2w super mod
« on: 6 Feb 2016, 06:31 pm »
I have been trying to integrate this sw with my old MM de Capo's and Spatial M4 loudspeakers without any success. It works well with a pair of Quad 988 esl's. So what is the difference between these two scenarios? I believe it has to do with the efficiency of the first two compared to the Quad's, 92, 93 and 86db. Simply, the
 volume control in the w2's amplifier does not have the range to blend well with higher efficiency loudspeakers. I thought that it had to do, in the deCapo's case that they were not really full range, which according to their specs.  they are, but not according to this ears. So with the Spatials which have a full range sound in my room, the same thing happens, no blend or distinctive subwoofer sound. The Spatials alone produce more bass than when paired with the w2. With the Quads the w2 works as advertised. It may be that the w2's amp. is not to spec. being 25 years old, but there is no upgrade to the w2q upgrade anymore.

So the point of all this, so you know it can be done, is that  I got a Crown xls 1000 stereo amp. with a low pass xover, removed the w2's plate amp. and connected the 3 drivers to the amp. I made a cable with a resistor in series for a high level connection from my main amp's output to the xls inputs, dialed a 55 lp xover frequency and voila! New subwoofer. I have to keep the main speakers full range with this arrangement but it really works. I was fearing that the 3 drivers are some kind of special servos and that this would not work but it looks that they are not. I am playing w/ the sw placement and xover frequency and volume...I don't know if it should be near the frequency limit of the Spatials -45  hz- or maybe a little higher.