Looking for ideas for maybe a new digital camera to replace current FZ150

chip

So I have been thinking of replacing my Panasonic FZ150 that I have had for a few years now.

I would probably keep it as a backup camera.

Cameras I am looking at right now:
Canon T5
Nikon D3300
Sony A6000

Things I shoot:
Kids sports - mainly soccer- outdoor and indoor.

We live in oregon so hiking, mountains, lakes, wild life, etc

I shoot for fun but looking for a somewhat more advanced camera with interchangeable lenses.

Now I know I need to actually go hold them and test them out in the store to see what feels right, etc.

A few questions...

Any suggestions on which camera is better and why?

Would it be better to just by the body and by two decent lenses vs buying a package deal that comes with the lower end lenses.

One lens I would get for the camera would be a wide angle for sure.

Suggestions on lenses if I buy a body only camera?

I did some reading and say I bought the Canon T5 the following lenses were suggested as good starting lenses.....
Fixed - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens - Fixed
Zoom - Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM Telephoto Zoom Lens
Wide Angle - Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Lens

Thanks for any help!

« Last Edit: 4 Feb 2016, 07:46 pm by chip »

low.pfile

chip,
the lenses you mention have me wondering if you have considered the APS-C sensor 1.6x crop factor of the Canon T5? (http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/1-6x.htm)

I myself and a couple of friends using APS crop sensors have not be happy with the 50mm as a fixed lens as it is too “close-up” for everyday walk arouind duties. I like either a 20mm or 24mm fixed lens on APS cameras.

if you are looking for versitility you’d be cover with these focal length ranges of 15mm - 200mm usually done with these two lens ranges below

17-55  (the 35mm film equiv of 28-88mm )
75—300 (the 35mm film equiv of 120-480mm)
if you want true wide angle the 10-18mm range you listed is appropriate as it is 16-29mm effectively)

about kit lenses vs. decent. the better lenses will allow photos in darker lighting or take photos at faster shutter speeds. so they are better for sports. but the work around with kit lenses is just increase the ISO setting.

Canon DSLR vs mirrorless A6000 is really a personal preference. each have their pros and cons (I have both types by the way of Nikon/Panasonic). There is lots written on the comparisons.

good luck. I recall a few Sony users on AC, so maybe they'll chime in.

chip

Thanks for the input. I will have to give that article a read soon.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
I have the D3200 which is perfect to me, it looks the same
D3300 at a lower price, both have 11 focus points, it could
be more, the D3300 is 75 grams lighter that I think is bad.

chip

Anyone else....

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
D3200 offer mono sound only and a cold white what I prefer over warm whites, if you dont need stereo sound seems it will so the task at low price.
http://www.dpreview.com/products/nikon/slrs/nikon_d3200

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
So I have been thinking of replacing my Panasonic FZ150 that I have had for a few years now.

I would probably keep it as a backup camera.

Cameras I am looking at right now:
Canon T5
Nikon D3300
Sony A600
Do you mean say Sony A6000??
I have not found A600 on Google.

newzooreview

Whichever camera body you get, I would strongly recommend getting one prime lens with a low number of glass elements. Zeiss makes several 50mm lenses that fit that description and that fit or that can be adapted to most current bodies (Nikon, Canon, Fuji, whatever). Voigtlander also make a 58mm that is similarly designed. By low number of glass elements I mean no more than 9. The reason is that sharpness, like loudness in an audio system, is the least interesting and most easily achieved aspect of lens design. A well made prime lens with a low number of glass elements will give you 1) excellent color rendition; 2) beautiful depth rendition; 3) excellent microcontrast; and 4) beautiful out of focus rendering.

1. Color rendition: not accuracy of color (which is controllable with adjustments on the computer), but the ability to discriminate between similar hues--rendering 100 subtle shades of green in a leaf vs. a dozen.

2. Depth rendition: how the lens transitions from in focus to out of focus in the photograph. Even at the same focal length and f-stop, some lenses portray that transition more cleanly, so to speak, giving a sense of depth and dimension to the photograph. Even expensive "pro" zooms with 14 or 18 elements will give flat results. Side by side the difference is obvious.

3. Microcontrast: related to color rendition, but even in a black and white photograph this ability to discriminate fine detail makes the image rich and beautiful. Traditional sharpness is edge detail: is the border between the hair and the skin crisp. Microntrast doesn't require border crispness as much as being able to perceive very subtle details where other lenses may not reveal them (such as textures). Another way to say it would be the ability to preserve differences in luminance (compared to color rendition: the ability to preserve subtlety of hue).

4. Out of focus rendering: Bokeh in Japanese. You can certainly get a smooth and pleasing bokeh from from a lot of lenses on full frame cameras, but low-element primes with large apertures on full frame sensors are the best of the best.

It's always useful to think of the lens collection you want first, because your investment in lenses, which you can use for a lifetime, typically exceeds the cost of the body by 2-5 times.

If you want a small mirrorless camera, the Fuji XT-1 is fantastic. Color rendition is excellent from the primes and even the zooms, and the jpegs right from the camera look terrific. I don't agree with many things kenrockwell.com writes, but I think he gets it right regarding the Fuji lens quality. I have the 35/2, 56/1.2, and the 18-135 for convenience (I've been very very pleased with the results).

However, although I own the XT-1, it can't really provide the ability to throw the background out of focus that a full frame sensor provides. So I also have a Nikon full-frame (D810).

I have a Sony Alpha as well, but I rarely use it. The Zeiss 50mm for the alpha is an amazing lenses, but the camera and all of the variants in the alpha line is a mess designed by committee, not a tool for photography. The lenses are all huge, making the system no smaller to pack or lighter to shoot; the battery life is terrible (add batteries to the weight you carry); the menu and button layout is sadistic; and there's no depth to the selection of lenses or system components (compared to Nikon, for example).

I used to use Canon digital SLRs but I just tired of the mediocre lens quality, even in L lenses, and the exceedingly plastic feel of everything they make. I know, with very careful lens choice and technique you can take beautiful photographs with a Canon. I just got too tempted by the infinitely deeper Nikon system and the higher number of exceptional lenses they offer (new and old). I've been picking up older manual focus Nikkors from ebay that are better then most current production autofocus G lenses.

If you decide to get a Nikon body, the current 24-85 ED VR is a terrific grab and go lens on a full-frame body. Add a Voigtlander 58mm Nokton and you have an amazing indoor, portrait, low light option (also beautiful for landscapes and any other need): https://shop.cameraquest.com/voigtlander-slr-lenses/voigtlander-58mm-sliin-58/1.4-nokton-nikon-mt/

For a Nikon autofocus prime lens for children indoors, the new Tamron SP series 45mm (45mm F/1.8 Di VC model F013) is probably the closest you can get to a Zeiss with autofocus on a Nikon.

For the Fuji, the less expensive XT10 has the same sensor and cpu as the XT-1 so is the best for the cost in their camera range.

Well, that's a lot of opinion and I'm not sure if it's helpful. Happy shooting!  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 4 Feb 2016, 05:32 pm by newzooreview »

chip

newzooreview

When you refer to this - Nikon body, the current 24-85 ED VR

Do you mean this lense?
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/camera-lenses/af-s-nikkor-24-85mm-f%252f3.5-4.5g-ed-vr.html

Also what is your take on this reading in regards to lenses

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-first-nikon-lenses-you-should-buy/

Thanks

drewm

newzooreview

When you refer to this - Nikon body, the current 24-85 ED VR

Do you mean this lense?
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/camera-lenses/af-s-nikkor-24-85mm-f%252f3.5-4.5g-ed-vr.html

Also what is your take on this reading in regards to lenses

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-first-nikon-lenses-you-should-buy/

Thanks

If you're looking at the D3300 which is an APS-C sensor size, you'll be looking at a completely different set of lenses than what he has on a D810.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/dx-dream-team.htm

I own the kit 18-55mm, 10-24mm, 35mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8, 55-200mm, 55-300mm, 18-200mm and Tamron 150-600mm, and find I really only carry around the 18-55mm, 35mm and 55-200mm. The 35mm F1.8 stays on my camera about 80% of the time. I really think those 3 are pretty much everything you will ever need.

I use the 18-55mm for landscapes, and stopped down to above F/6.3 it is sharper than you will ever need, even in the corners.
The 35mm is for people indoors and low light.
The 55-200mm is for portraits and longer shooting.
The 55-300mm does get you a bit farther, but at the expense of a much heavier lens.
And obviously my Tamron 150-600mm is for long shots, mostly birding.
The 18-200mm is just too heavy and doesn't produce images as nice as the other lenses that cover the same range. I'm probably going to sell it eventually.

I really do think Nikon makes the best APS-C DX lenses, everyone else's just aren't as sharp.

I've been absolutely blown away by my D3300 and these lenses, so much that I really don't feel any need to change anything or switch to any other system.

chip

Do you have links to these?

So are you saying you use the two bundled lenses and bought a separate 35mm?

18-55mm
35mm
55-200mm

drewm

Do you have links to these?

So are you saying you use the two bundled lenses and bought a separate 35mm?

18-55mm
35mm
55-200mm

Yes, those two can be found in a D3300 kit, they are absolutely fantastic lenses for their low cost. The Nikon 35mm DX F1.8 is also very low cost and can be found here:
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-AF-S-NIKKOR-Focus-Cameras/dp/B001S2PPT0

chip

Great thanks for the input. I will need to stop by a store and test these out in my hand again for fit/feel.

drewm

Great thanks for the input. I will need to stop by a store and test these out in my hand again for fit/feel.

I have a feeling you'll prefer the grip of the D7200/D610 as they are bigger cameras are are much nicer to grip if you have to do it all day. The D3300 grip is smaller but it makes up for it by being a much smaller, lighter and less expensive camera that shoots the exact same images in most conditions.

chip

Well the fz150 fits in my hands nice so I am thinking the 3300 might too.

newzooreview

There are some colorful  :o Youtube reviews on DX lenses and bodies like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sBa9kYBZ6M

The reviewer has worked in camera stores and seen and owned a lot of lenses, so if you can wade through (or maybe even be amused by) the presentation style, it might provide another useful set of data.

Use headphones if you have small children around!  :oops:

chip

Interesting as a refurb 5200 or 5300 falls into my pricing category as well.  :scratch:

I do like the tilt lcd on my current fz150 and do use it. Usually for low shooting etc.

I will have to see how much bigger it actually is.

I played with the 3300 at costco the other day and I am intrigued by it.

drewm

Interesting as a refurb 5200 or 5300 falls into my pricing category as well.  :scratch:

I do like the tilt lcd on my current fz150 and do use it. Usually for low shooting etc.

I will have to see how much bigger it actually is.

I played with the 3300 at costco the other day and I am intrigued by it.

Just keep in mind that the D3300 and D5300 most likely are using the exact same sensor and take the exact same photos. The big difference you get moving up the range is extra features (HDR multi exposure, GPS, Wifi, tilt screen) but the photo quality is exactly the same. The 5300 is just slightly larger than the 3300. The 5200 is also fine, as long as you don't need the better low light ISO performance of the newer cameras. The newest D5500 at costco is pretty much the same size as the rest of the 5000 series, if you wanted a feel for size.

newzooreview

Just keep in mind that the D3300 and D5300 most likely are using the exact same sensor and take the exact same photos. The big difference you get moving up the range is extra features…

same sensor does not equal same photo quality  :nono:

The sensor itself is only part of the story: cameras have A/D converters and SNR code that make all the difference in final image quality. The primary reason we are seeing improvement in low-light performance from modern digital cameras, for example, is not because the sensors produce less-noisy data. They don't. The difference is in the processors and algorithms that create the image. RAW files are not some kind of data dump from the sensor as is often assumed. RAW is just the data dump from the combination of A/D converters and image processing firmware. The image processing firmware has been getting better through adaptation of techniques used in radio astronomy to filter out noise and fill in missing information (where the noise was in the image).

I do not have a readout on what differences there are in D3300 and D5300 processors. However, for the very slight price difference, the D5300 has a much better autofocus system and a better LCD screen on the rear.

Having said all of that, for very little more than a new D5300 you could get a mint condition D7100 from e-bay for very little more and have a better camera still: http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=Nikon+D7100+DSLR+Camera+Body+Black+Refurbished+by+Nikon+U+S+A+1513+B&_itemId=331553740465&_trksid=p2047675.m4099