Santa Cruz Area Beaches

Don_S

Santa Cruz Area Beaches
« on: 2 Aug 2015, 04:33 pm »
Help please.  I am planning a mini-vacation to the Santa Cruz area right after Labor Day. I pulled out my map of CA state parks and I counted 24 (probably missed some) state parks and beaches going north of Santa Cruz to San Gregorio SB and south to Monterey.

I am overwhelmed.  Please help me pick the best beaches and parks so I don't spend all my vacation time hunting.  FYI, I have been to Monterey several times and especially enjoy Point Lobos.  That gives you an idea of what I like.  I also like wide beaches that I can walk on if they have some points of interest like tide pools or rocky areas. I would also like to spend some time in the big trees.

Suggestions for a location to stay that is affordable but convenient would also be appreciated. I am short on cash due to the recent replacement of my entire heating/cooling system and my pending big event for the year.  That is a small-boat cruise in Alaska complete with kayaking, hiking, and skiff-riding.  Expensive but I am too old to not go. That trip is only 8 days including travel to and from Sacramento to Alaska.

I can't let an entire year go by and only spend one week in the wild.  Help me do a mini in the beginning of September. I know my boots will get very restless waiting for Sept 20 and my Alaska trip. I normally take my vacations right after Labor Day and I know when that time hits I will feel the need to be in the trees or on a beach.

Thanks for any help.

bob stern

Re: Santa Cruz Area Beaches
« Reply #1 on: 2 Aug 2015, 08:15 pm »
A friend who's an avid hiker recommends Wilder Ranch State Park, but I haven't been there.

My favorite beach walk with dramatic cliffs is at the Seascape Resort hotel in Aptos.  The hotel is legally required to allow public access to their beach, and they do so completely willingly, no sneaking around required.  You don't have to be sheepish about using their nice bathroom or buying food or drink, even if you're dressed like a hiker.  There is no public right to park in the hotel's outdoor parking lot, but there is no gate, guards or fee and never a shortage of space. 
Directions:
Take Hwy 1 south from Santa Cruz.
Exit San Andreas Rd 0.8 mi.
R at Seascape Blvd 0.8 mi.
Continue on Seascape Resort Dr 280 ft.
Turn left to stay on Seascape Resort Dr.
Destination is on the right 260 ft.

kc8apf

• Are you sure what side of the glass you're on?
« Reply #2 on: 2 Aug 2015, 09:15 pm »
The entire stretch along West Cliff Drive from natural bridges state park to the boardwalk is mostly a wide beach with reasonable parking, etc.

PMAT

« Reply #3 on: 3 Aug 2015, 05:55 am »
Bob is right, the Seascape area is great and the beaches are long and beautiful. No tidepools or rocks just sand and sea. I just got back from a three day visit with family that lives there. The big trees are not along the shore there in the Santa Cruz area. Capitola Village is a great little spot and be sure to eat pizza at pizza my heart. Breakfast at the end of the pier in Capitola is awesome.

ACHiPo

« Reply #4 on: 3 Aug 2015, 12:51 pm »
Agree with Seascape and Capitola (although Capitola can get pretty congested on a weekend).  A little further away is Half Moon Bay--great beach, decent restaurants, and a few places to stay.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #5 on: 3 Aug 2015, 05:00 pm »
I went to school in San Francisco years back, and remember driving down to Santa Cruz, just checking the area out.
Just a cool place to be, for sure...!  :thumb:

pconley2

« Reply #6 on: 3 Aug 2015, 05:27 pm »
Don, Brighton Beach State Park, right next to Capitola is superb, about a mile of open beach with a dilapidated wharf at the far end (from the parking) and, I think, an old beached ship near the wharf--great beach

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=542

Big Basin state park is about 15 miles away and is the site of many large sequoia type trees.

Phil

Don_S

« Reply #7 on: 3 Aug 2015, 05:57 pm »
Thank you everyone.  Please keep suggestions coming.  Before my trip I will take notes and make a plan.

RPM123

« Reply #8 on: 3 Aug 2015, 09:48 pm »
Here are some ideas. If you want redwoods, the Roaring Camp Railroad  from Santa Cruz to the redoods is very cool! Have fun!

Pacific Grove

Monarch Grove Sanctuary ~ One of the more popular overwintering places for migrating butterflies from late October through January (1 hour)
    Asilomar State Beach ~ Narrow mile-long strip of sandy beach and rocky coves with wheelchair accessible trails.
    Lovers Point ~ Grassy park overlooks beautiful small beach with calmer waters in the area. Sun rises in the East over the water while scuba divers wade from the small cove that may have otter sightings (1/2 hour)

Moss Landing

Elkhorn Slough ~ Boat tours & kayak tours and rentals, marine mammals (3-4 hours)

(Sea Otter playing in the Elkhorn Slough)

Santa Cruz

Santa Cruz Boardwalk ~ Amusement park with traditional rides (2 hours and up)
    Santa Cruz Beach ~ Locals claim Santa Cruz to be the original "Surf-City, USA". Lessons available.
    Roaring Camp Railroad ~ Kid-frienly narrow gauge steam train rides from Santa Cruz Beach to the redwoods (Bear Mtn 1.5 hours RT and Santa Cruz train RT 3+ hours).
    Henry Cowell SP ~ A less crowded alternative to Muir Woods to see tall old-growth redwood trees (1 hour).

Pescadero

Pigeon Point Light Station ~ Grounds are open to the public while the historic lighthouse is undergoing restoration.
    Ano Nuevo State Park ~ Elephant seals mating and birthing from December to March, 55 miles south of San Francisco. Equal access tours are available on the weekends (2.5 hour tour)
    Memorial Park  ~ Nine mile detour takes you to short accessible redwood trail with a mix of young and old growth redwood trees.

Half Moon Bay

Fitzgerald Marine Reserve ~ Visit during negative low tide to explore tide pools teeming with starfish, sea anemones and crabs (1-2 hours)