I no longer have V'steen speakers and will be resigning as moderator...

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
...of this forum.  If it's to continue, it needs a moderator.  Pls post your willingness to do that.  This function should require virtually no additional time for someone who already uses or at least views this forum frequently.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Wow, pretty extreme move to get out of moderating.   :wink:

Please PM me on what speakers you've gone to.

soundbitten1

...of this forum.  If it's to continue, it needs a moderator.  Pls post your willingness to do that.  This function should require virtually no additional time for someone who already uses or at least views this forum frequently.

Do you have to own Vandersteens?

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
Get you some open baffle speakers, you'll like them better, at half the cost...

macrojack

• Restricted
In Munich, Richard Vandersteen confided in a mutual friend that he can no longer sell the speakers that made him famous. Nowadays the big dollar models are selling briskly but the 1b and 2c aren't moving at all.
I can't speak to the accuracy of those claims but my source is unimpeachable. It seems that the middle class has gone out of audio too.

jpm

It seems that the middle class has gone out of audio too.

I recently had to explain to  a younger co-worker what the term "HiFi" means. She (educated, early 30's) genuinely didn't know what I was talking about when I tried using the term "Stereo" as an alternative and responded with a gesture suggesting a boombox.

In my mid 40's, I have no friends, colleagues or acquaintances who have any interest in HiFi. I'd go further and say I know of hardly anyone even interested in music - it's been reduced to something you consume like disposable fashion. It's a lonely passion.

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
Do you have to own Vandersteens?

Not at all; but you surely ought to be interested in them.   :)

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
Wow, pretty extreme move to get out of moderating.   :wink:

Well, not exactly.   :)

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
It seems that the middle class has gone out of audio too.

I recently had to explain to  a younger co-worker what the term "HiFi" means. She (educated, early 30's) genuinely didn't know what I was talking about when I tried using the term "Stereo" as an alternative and responded with a gesture suggesting a boombox.

In my mid 40's, I have no friends, colleagues or acquaintances who have any interest in HiFi. I'd go further and say I know of hardly anyone even interested in music - it's been reduced to something you consume like disposable fashion. It's a lonely passion.

Hmm...I think you need to find an audio club to hang around and a concert hall to attend regularly.  And all of my many musical and audiofoolic friends are middle-class.

JLM

Haw!  Even my Dad, 40 years ago couldn't figure out why I'd want to sit in a room by myself to just listen. 

In my mind that sums up the modern thought of audio: too passive; not stimulating enough; too lonely; geeky yet not hobbyist interactive enough for most nerds (thus A/V is replacing audio in the mass market).

Most music lovers would rather spend the time/money to hear it live, aren't into tech, and just pass it over for A/V.

Nowadays entry level gear has to fit in a small multi-purpose room ("lifestyle") and not be a set of monuments (looking better/more expensive/unexplainable than the rest of the furnishings and be located so as to be impossible to avoid).  Sock covered/lacquered monoliths, freaky/huge speakers (attend an audio show), and rack full of electronics that take 30 minutes to turn on and warm up is definitely out of the main stream of family life or dinner parties.

So yeah, why should the average, intelligent person comprehend why someone would invest thousands on gear and dominate a room just to sit there by yourself to hear a recording better?

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
Haw!  Even my Dad, 40 years ago couldn't figure out why I'd want to sit in a room by myself to just listen. 

In my mind that sums up the modern thought of audio: too passive; not stimulating enough; too lonely; geeky yet not hobbyist interactive enough for most nerds (thus A/V is replacing audio in the mass market).

Most music lovers would rather spend the time/money to hear it live, aren't into tech, and just pass it over for A/V.

Nowadays entry level gear has to fit in a small multi-purpose room ("lifestyle") and not be a set of monuments (looking better/more expensive/unexplainable than the rest of the furnishings and be located so as to be impossible to avoid).  Sock covered/lacquered monoliths, freaky/huge speakers (attend an audio show), and rack full of electronics that take 30 minutes to turn on and warm up is definitely out of the main stream of family life or dinner parties.

So yeah, why should the average, intelligent person comprehend why someone would invest thousands on gear and dominate a room just to sit there by yourself to hear a recording better?

Well said!

dminches

This really depends on your definition of "music lover".  My experience is that as people get older they have less tolerance for other people at live events and prefer the comfort of their own home.  Plus, most of the acts we enjoy have become nostalgia and the cost of concert tickets are crazy.

I used to set 10-20 concerts per year.  It is now down to less than half a dozen.

dminches

In Munich, Richard Vandersteen confided in a mutual friend that he can no longer sell the speakers that made him famous. Nowadays the big dollar models are selling briskly but the 1b and 2c aren't moving at all.
I can't speak to the accuracy of those claims but my source is unimpeachable. It seems that the middle class has gone out of audio too.

Relaying a quote from someone is a slippery slope.  We have no idea what the context was.

macrojack

• Restricted
Relaying a quote from someone is a slippery slope.  We have no idea what the context was.
Richard, a blue collar guy who made his name on high value product, was lamenting the dwindling of that market segment.

My feeling is that his concerns are well founded. Very few young people are entering and more and more older ones (like me) have come to realize they can't sell what they have so why buy more?

dminches

It is a shame that kids in their 20s are content listening to their computer with headphones.

By the time I was 24 I had purchased my first pair of Vandersteens, the 2Cs.

macrojack

• Restricted
We've all made positive lifestyle changes which others have failed to pursue, to our amazement. For instance, I cannot see why anyone still smokes cigarettes or why so many people are permanently disfiguring themselves with tattoos.

It's a free country here in the U.S. This affords us the opportunity to make stupid decisions and a good many of our fellow countrymen exploit that opportunity to the fullest. You could spend the rest of today watching these on YouTube.

JLM

This really depends on your definition of "music lover".  My experience is that as people get older they have less tolerance for other people at live events and prefer the comfort of their own home.  Plus, most of the acts we enjoy have become nostalgia and the cost of concert tickets are crazy.

I used to set 10-20 concerts per year.  It is now down to less than half a dozen.

I find older folks (like me) have less tolerance for everything, especially changing technology.  Music venues come in all shapes and sizes.  If you're near a university, many concerts are free and rather small.  Folk music festivals also provide another cheap and easy access.  In comparing cost, I'd guess the average AC member has invested north of $10,000 in their lifetimes in gear which would buy lots of live music opportunities if you shop carefully. 

macrojack

• Restricted
I think that it is still possible to sit near the stage in a jazz club and enjoy excellent performances for a tiny fraction of what it costs to get nosebleed seating for Lady GaGa. But I'm not sure because I am intolerant of those many fools who whistle and shout and generally try to call attention to themselves, thinking (or wishing) that they were the show. So I stay home.

mcgsxr

Hope you find a new mod for the circle.

I don't own any OB speakers these days, but I do still mod the circle.

In time I may again get a set of speakers of that sort, until then I am happy to ensure there is a place for exploration and discussion by others.

guest61169

Top 10 Reasons:

1. Relaxation
2. A break from someone talking all the time, like a spouse
3. Able to sit at home with a beer (and/or smoke) rather than next to a stranger at a concert
4. Better sound than many live venues. 
5. More comfortable seating at home and beer is cheaper and no parking or driving or scheduling issues
6. Some people not mobile or have physical restrictions
7. Price of live music on a regular basis is expensive
8. If you miss something, play it again!
9. It doesn't matter what the average person thinks.  They wouldn't approve of us going to the brothel either
10. Beats spending $30,000 on new cupboards