Best sounding live albums

K.F.

Best sounding live albums
« on: 23 Jan 2015, 07:04 pm »
 Best live albums, and to get off the beaten path of albums we all know only too well, I put this album from the small but highly acclaimed Sound Liaison label on top, but also because I really do think the download is superior in sound quality, even when compared to ECM's Keith Jarrett.
Bobby Timmons ''in Person'' is an old favorite with a prominent Ron Carter right in the middle of the sound stage, and no I don't think that my LP's sounds better than these hi-res downloads. I wish they did but ....that is life. On the plus side I would probably not have discovered these wonderful ''young'' musicians if I had been stuck with only listening to my vast collection of L.P's.
(This was an answer to another thread but I thought it might be a nice topic.)

1. Batik; the old Man and the Sea. http://www.soundliaison.com/

2. Keith Jarrett; Somewhere http://www.hdtracks.com/somewhere-live-in-lucerne-2009

3. Bobby Timmons Trio ( LP)

PA

Re: Best sounding live albums
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jan 2015, 02:41 pm »
Bill Evans At The Village Vanguard is good.

stlrman

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jan 2015, 02:45 pm »
Hope, Hugh Makasela

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jan 2015, 02:59 pm »
Dead Can Dance - In Concert.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2015, 03:40 pm »
Dead Can Dance - In Concert.

+ 1  :thumb:

rodge827

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2015, 03:52 pm »
Tommy Emmanuel - Center Stage

« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2015, 05:55 pm by rodge827 »

kenreau

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jan 2015, 04:42 pm »

mick wolfe

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jan 2015, 05:22 pm »
Here's just a few of many..... Clarence Gatemouth Brown " Real Life "
                                              Townes Van Zandt  " Live at The Old Quarter "
                                              "Jazz at the Pawnshop"    original pressing
                                              Ry Cooder " Down at the Field "
                                              Joe Williams  "Live "

jlawson1977

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jan 2015, 05:24 pm »
Dave Grusin and the NY-LA Dream Band
Recorded live at the Budokan , Tokyo 1983

Airborn

« Reply #9 on: 3 Feb 2015, 02:04 am »
Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood, Live From Madison Square Garden (2009)

Alison Krauss + Union Station Live (2002)

Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds, Live at Luther College (1999)

Nils Lofgren, Acoustic Live (1998)

PA

« Reply #10 on: 13 Mar 2015, 01:09 am »
The latest Sound Liaison download ''Impromptu'' is incredible.
Proves that less is more 4 microphones and 2 musicians that really can play add a participating audience, and you have the formula for a great live album.
Used equipment:

Microphones:
Piano: Neumann TLM 170 (2x)
Bass: JZ V67
Room mic's: Sonodore RCM-402 (2x)

Micpre's: Neve 4081 quad pre-amp
Microphone cables: Grimm Audio TPR
Mixing headphones: Sennheiser HD800
Mixing speakers: Grimm Audio LS1, TAD CR1
Master clock: Grimm Audio CC1

in DSD , PCM and Flac; http://www.soundliaison.com/

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #11 on: 13 Mar 2015, 02:34 am »
REO Speedwagon, You get what you play for.....

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #12 on: 13 Mar 2015, 03:04 am »
REO Speedwagon, You get what you play for.....

+1, at their best imo

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #13 on: 13 Mar 2015, 04:13 am »
Porupine Tree, Coma Divine, Live in Rome

alfajim

« Reply #14 on: 13 Mar 2015, 07:25 am »
The best sounding live album for me lately is 11yr old Jackie Evancho's live version of the PBS concert 2011, most of the cuts are better than the studio version plus there are some tracks on it not on the commercial version.

Jim :roll:  :thumb:

PA

« Reply #15 on: 21 Mar 2015, 12:58 pm »
Bill Evans!

Sunday at the Village Vanguard is the initial volume of a mammoth recording session by the Bill Evans Trio, from June 25, 1961 at New York's Village Vanguard documenting Evans' first trio with bassist Scott LaFaro and drummer Paul Motian. Its companion volume is Waltz for Debby. This trio is still widely regarded as his finest, largely because of the symbiotic interplay between its members. Tragically, LaFaro was killed in an automobile accident ten days after this session was recorded, and Evans assembled the two packages a few months afterward. While "Waltz for Debby" -- in retrospect -- is seemingly a showcase for Evans' brilliant, subtle, and wide-ranging pianism, this volume becomes an homage, largely, to the genius and contribution of LaFaro. That said, however, this were never the point. According to Motian, when Evans built this trio based on live gigs at the Basin Street East, the intention was always to develop a complete interactive trio experience. At the time, this was an unheard of notion, since piano trios were largely designed to showcase the prowess of the front line soloist with rhythmic accompaniment. Here, one need listen no further than the elegant and haunting, graceful modal reading of "My Man's Gone Now" from Porgy & Bess to know that there is something completely balanced and indescribably beautiful in their approach. Motian's brushes whisper along the ride cymbals and both Evans and LaFaro enter into a dialogue that emerges from a darkly hued minor mode, into the melody and somehow beyond it, into a form of seamless dialogic improvisation to know that in the act of one musician slipping over and under another -- as happens with all three in an aural basket weave -- is something utterly new and different, often imitated but never replicated. But in a sense it happens before this, on LaFaro's "Gloria's Step," which opens the recording. His thematic statement includes the briefest intro, hesitant and spacious before he and pianist enter into a harmonic and contrapuntal conversation underscored by the hushed dynamics of Motian's snare, and the lightning-fast interlocutions of single string and chorded playing of LaFaro. The shapshifting reading of Miles Davis' "Solar," is a place where angularity, counterpoint, and early modalism all come together in a knotty and insistent, yet utterly seamless blend of post-bop aesthetics and expanded harmonic intercourse with Motian, whose work, while indispensable in the balance of the trio, comes more into play here, and is more assertive with his half-time accents to frame the counterpoint playing of Evans and LaFaro. This is a great place to begin with Evans. Review by Thom Jurek

dflee

« Reply #16 on: 21 Mar 2015, 01:22 pm »
"To The Bone" by The Kinks is live studio and stage. Played and produced really well.

"The Real Deal" Buddy Guy and G.E. Smith. Buddy has a slew of live that are memorable.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #17 on: 21 Mar 2015, 03:56 pm »
Hot Tuna's first album, Neil Young's Live at Massey Hall, Pink Floyd's Pulse, Zappa/Mothers Roxy and Elsewhere, Mothers Just Another Band From LA are all real good.

bunky

« Reply #18 on: 21 Mar 2015, 09:05 pm »
Bowie-A Reality Tour                                                           https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIZzxnoLK7A&index=17&list=PLJ8y7DDcrI_rE7bcgw-UUpYhgnl5Dko4k

audio.bill

« Reply #19 on: 22 Mar 2015, 12:32 am »
Two completely different genres, both very engaging live performances:

Little Feat, Waiting for Columbus http://www.allmusic.com/album/waiting-for-columbus-mw0000194604

Carmen McRae & Betty Carter, Duets http://www.allmusic.com/album/live-at-the-great-american-music-hall-san-francisco-mw0000867137