Which Cartridge/Phono/Amps/Speakers/Cables do we use with out WTL spinners?

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
I guess if it works for you that's great.
One thing I've noticed is that most of us work
/play at this in a vacuum... if we could all easily teleport around in a group things might be different.
As I mentioned once before, I've played with steel balls, Herbies balls and discs, Pierre's Maple boards, all sorts of tweeks under my Amadeus, and my listening panel always shot them down.
I was always so proud of my efforts and thought I was onto something bigger and better, until they came and shot me down, and showed me the error of my ways. That's why now I always question most DIY efforts.
I've also noticed as a group that supports are seen as something we can do as easily as the pros/commercial companies... wonder why most of you don't also assume you can make tables, cartridges, etc....

Glad to read that it's not just me that get's it wrong. It's amazing how we sometimes need a different set of ears to point out what's a improvement and what isn't. I am lucky to have a friend with a good hifi and ears who visited me last weekend. I did an XTC v Stock counterweight dem. Although I like the extra refinement and inner detail that the XTC brings to the table there has always been something not quite right about its sound and i couldn't put my finger on it. My friend clearly heard the refinement but pointed out that the XTC was less involving and didn't flow as well. Bingo! More hifi less music?. So for now I'm back with the stock weights and enjoying my system. It would be a blast to get us all together and do counterweight or rack tests. Unfortunately logistically impossible so we will just have to correlate views and go through trial and error.

mick wolfe

I have 2 XTC counterweights and the original WT weights of course. If I ever get my Denon 103 back from Zu, I was going to do a shoot-out between the "heavy" XTC and twin WT's.  I think the counterweight issue really boils down to synergy in one's system. Not so much one being better, but which is the better sonic fit for an individual's system.  For instance, just installed a pair of Cable Research Labs Bronze speaker cables in my system. After less than 10 minutes, I knew they weren't leaving. This cable is a sonic fit like no other for me. When I get around to the counterweight shoot-out, this cable change may shine a new light on the Well Tempered counterweights. 

rob400

Agreed that it's a subjective one Mick. I went back and forth for a couple of weeks so it isn't night and day to me like glass shelves v baltic birch ply. My XV1s is a very refined cartridge. Maybe that influenced my results.

threadkiller

True... As I'm always reminded by my elders- everything in hifi is relative.
If I had the cash and Naim, I'd go for a Fraim. If the WTL sucked on the Fraim as I'm told it does, then I'd get something like a Quadraspire wall shelf. If i didn't want that then maybe I'd go for an LP12 to go on the Fraim..all things have to match, you know....

Even though I was told by said elders to stay away from the XTC , after being cajoled by Rob I thought I'd try it anyway- I like to play! It'd probably end up in my hifi junk drawer along with the Herbies and their ilk, but hey. It is a hobby after all.  Yet now after Rob's friend graciously debunked him, I think I'll let it lay...

Same thing happened to me with those fancy Pierre maple boards and wafers under the Amadeus. Oh boy, I thought. This certainly takes it to a new level. And it did do some things impressively yet they ended up being only sound things and actually ruined the music making. My listening panel - the elders- were seriously displeased and after removing it showed me the error of my ways.

Let me give one more example of why I think a good/ great rack is as much an investment as that dreamed about amp/speaker whatev...
I know a gentleman in my town who has all Audio Research reference gear, great sources, cables, all sitting on Salamandar racks. I know a guy who has the middle level ARC gear sitting on Quadraspire racks. The lesser system plays music far better than the reference one.  It's so much more engaging.  You cannot argue with it. You can't get defensive.  It just is.

So that's why I keep pondering why people won't spend for a quality rack....

rob400

You might prefer the XTC Charlie. After all I'm a Dynavector/Shahinian man and you moved from that to Line Magnetic/DeVore   :o

threadkiller

Lol. And are you going to follow suit?  Or maybe a second system?
Now don't you worry, me and my Dyna are doing just fine.....

rob400

I must admint to being curious but only for a Cayman system if we are to be there long term. My Dyna/Obs will take some usurping back here in the old country. Out of interest the Auditorium 23's were designed for valve amps, correct? You still prefer over mogami in my system?

threadkiller

Hmm, Caymans, sounds nice.
Yes, I still prefer over the Mogami, in your system or any other. The Mogami is the go-to inexpensive cable. It's just great. Especially with Eichmann bullets on it. I'll take it over Kimber in spades. Yet the Mogami isn't as textured, rich, as the A23. And it's also not as neutral, being bass heavy.  Still, it's a hell of a bargain.
Yet don't you think that wonderful system of yours deserves better?   :(   :icon_lol:

rob400

Hmm, Caymans, sounds nice.
Yes, I still prefer over the Mogami, in your system or any other. The Mogami is the go-to inexpensive cable. It's just great. Especially with Eichmann bullets on it. I'll take it over Kimber in spades. Yet the Mogami isn't as textured, rich, as the A23. And it's also not as neutral, being bass heavy.  Still, it's a hell of a bargain.
Yet don't you think that wonderful system of yours deserves better?   :(   :icon_lol:
I agree with your assessment of the Mogami Charlie (mine have Eichmann bullets) Swapped Kimber for it as it happens. Kimber a little more refined but poor bass and not involving. More refined and neutral sounds just the ticket. No Auditorium dealer here in the UK for some reason. I'm back in Cayman Nov 25th for 4 months. I'll be flying over to the States at some point so I will contact St Louis Stereo to order some. I've heard that they are good dealers............... :D

mick wolfe

I started out with the Mogami as my original phono cable. (with the Amadeus) This is certainly one of the best "bangs for the buck" out there. I currently prefer the AR GreenLink in this app, (at 5 times the cost) but if someone were to slip the Mogami back in without my knowledge, I'm not sure I'd sense I was missing that much. I always seem to find a use for it somewhere. Currently between pre-amp and amp in my HT/casual listening set-up.

tipatina

WTA Mk 2, Grado Ref Sonata, Van Alstine T8+ with Insight phono MM, Bryston 4B SST, Vandersteen 3A Sigs, Blue Jeans Cables. Best system I've had in 40 Yrs!

Dazzlingmd

First time poster here (I'm usually more of a stalker in these types of forums, which are INCREDIBLY helpful), but here is my current setup:

WT Amedeus Mk II / Auditorium 23 mat / Transfiguration Orpheus cartridge
Allnic H1201 Phono stage
Allnic L-3000 line stage/preamp
Primaluna Dialogue Premium amp
Merlin VSM-MMi speakers
Cabling is a mix (I know that's blasphemy) of Audience Au24e speaker cables and interconnects, with some Silnote Morpheus interconnects here and there, and even one pair of Cardas Golden Reference thrown in for good measure.

In all, this system is sounding better to me than anything I've ever owned before.  Tons of tweaking and upgrading and experimenting has led me to this place where I'm quite happy.  Except for all the upgrades I still want of course!

ADiG

Hello!
WTA GTA + dps + Dynavector DV 20X2 high output, connected directly to the MM phono input of the Mcintosh Ma7000 with Mogamy cable + speakers Tannoy Canterbury SE connected with speaker cable Supra 4 mm  :smoke:

threadkiller

Boy, some good systems!
I'd like to hear a Transfiguration cartridge sometime ...
And Canterburys... I've always wanted to hear those... On my many lists...

My systems in a bit of an upheaval right now.. so I'll post later..

gagamut

Hi Dazz,

mine is also use MERLIN VSM(lastest upgrade) :D

G E

WTA, home brew cork mat, home brew linear power supply and Grado a reference Sonata high output cart feeding a Cornet 2 phono pre i built. My equipment rack is a SolidSteel 5.5.
« Last Edit: 2 Oct 2014, 11:38 am by G E »

newvinyl

Erocka2000 -
Saw your listing on Audio Asylumn Trader. Why are you selling your Amadeus? Upgrading to something else?

Erocka2000

Erocka2000 -
Saw your listing on Audio Asylumn Trader. Why are you selling your Amadeus? Upgrading to something else?

Yeah, unfortunately, it's time to move from the Amadeus.  It is a fine turntable, but I do fancy something different at this point.  Mainly something with push button speed changes.  I currently have a Rega P9 that I'm trying out, but I may change that to something else.  I don't want to mention the other table I'm looking at out of fear of being lynched ;)

vortrex

Yeah, unfortunately, it's time to move from the Amadeus.  It is a fine turntable, but I do fancy something different at this point.  Mainly something with push button speed changes.  I currently have a Rega P9 that I'm trying out, but I may change that to something else.  I don't want to mention the other table I'm looking at out of fear of being lynched ;)

You already mentioned Rega, which should get the lynching underway.

rob400

Yeah, unfortunately, it's time to move from the Amadeus.  It is a fine turntable, but I do fancy something different at this point.  Mainly something with push button speed changes. 
 :icon_lol: