DIY Ultrasonic album cleaner

Sonny

Re: DIY Ultrasonic album cleaner
« Reply #160 on: 20 Jan 2017, 07:12 pm »
I built mine for about $150.  Most vacuum units cost more than that- and vacuum units are worth the money... if reducing tics and pops is a high priority for you.  Like most questions regarding cost, it depends on how much of your life you have to sell to put back $100.

Do you have a list of parts, assembly instructions you can share with me (the rest of us)?

Thanks

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #161 on: 20 Jan 2017, 08:18 pm »
Mine is pretty rough looking.  There's a pic on page two of this thread.  It's hot glue, scrap plywood, an ebay motor (there's a 3/4 rmp now for $12 that would work), a pencil, a straw that fits the pencil, and a tiny nail for a pin.  That's it. but it works. 

Sonny

« Reply #162 on: 21 Jan 2017, 12:30 am »
Mine is pretty rough looking.  There's a pic on page two of this thread.  It's hot glue, scrap plywood, an ebay motor (there's a 3/4 rmp now for $12 that would work), a pencil, a straw that fits the pencil, and a tiny nail for a pin.  That's it. but it works.

hey, it's to clean records, not an art piece!  :) :thumb:

lokie

« Reply #163 on: 28 Feb 2017, 07:33 pm »
S Clark or anyone else for that matter - A picture is worth a 1000 words, do you happen to have a picture of your vacuum set up?

I have all kinds of ideas about how to go about rigging up a vacuum system, including connecting a shop vac hose to some sort of a mount.

Would love to see some ideas here. I'm a great copier of good ideas!

Folsom

« Reply #164 on: 28 Feb 2017, 09:55 pm »
I'm also certain this is the BEST option out there.

http://www.squeakycleanvinyl.com/home.html

simoon

« Reply #165 on: 28 Feb 2017, 10:59 pm »

Not as good as ultra sonic cleaning, but from every thing I can see, probably does as good a job as any vacuum record cleaning machine out there.

Folsom

« Reply #166 on: 1 Mar 2017, 12:09 am »
The point is you use it after you sonic clean. You missed the post just prior to that one.

simoon

« Reply #167 on: 1 Mar 2017, 06:47 pm »
The point is you use it after you sonic clean. You missed the post just prior to that one.

oops!

My bad.

Thanks for pointing that out.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #168 on: 2 Mar 2017, 01:54 am »
S Clark or anyone else for that matter - A picture is worth a 1000 words, do you happen to have a picture of your vacuum set up?
Go back to page 2, somewhere past post #20 and you'll find pics.  (#28 and #37)

simoon

« Reply #169 on: 22 Mar 2017, 06:47 pm »
I came across this guys design and build on Youtube.

I think it is kind of ingenious. And easier to load and unload albums. Problem I see is it only does 12" records.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO3kF3sWi0g

sfox7076

« Reply #170 on: 22 Mar 2017, 08:41 pm »
He has done prototypes of 10 and 7 inch versions.  It's referenced in his recent video where he sold one of these LP3s.  You can see it 1:35 into this video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN5icYtfl5I

sfox7076

« Reply #171 on: 22 Mar 2017, 11:06 pm »
Does anyone know what the rollers he uses are? 

undertowogt1

« Reply #172 on: 25 Mar 2017, 10:29 pm »
I love the smell of TRITON X - 100 in the evening

Folsom

« Reply #173 on: 26 Mar 2017, 12:07 am »
I really don't think the rollers are ideal.

Mine should be up and running before long, a week or so.

The irony is I have very few albums compared to most people. If I'm not into something I don't hang on to it. But I'm going to offer cleaning locally so the machine will hopefully stay active. We'll see what the demand is like, I don't want to be doing too many!

sfox7076

« Reply #174 on: 26 Mar 2017, 01:41 am »
What do you think is better?  He allegedly solved the wobble issue.  If he has,the compact size seems to make it ideal to me.  Rather that than a huge spindle that require fully removing all records each time to get to the last one.

Shawn

undertowogt1

« Reply #175 on: 26 Mar 2017, 02:16 am »
I do like his design (in the video) more than mine, I think it might be more difficult to make though. I can do 3 albums at a time but it is a minor pain in the but getting them off the spindle.......but not too inconvenient  that I am sorry I made it that way.

undertowogt1

« Reply #176 on: 26 Mar 2017, 02:34 am »

I have all kinds of ideas about how to go about rigging up a vacuum system, including connecting a shop vac hose to some sort of a mount.

Would love to see some ideas here. I'm a great copier of good ideas!

After I do the ultra Sonic Cleaning I keep the 2 remaining records spinning in my solution while I vacuum the first record. This is a small shop Vac in a wooden box with a motor turning a turntable, It can go in both directions. This was my DIY cleaning machine before the DIY Ultra Sonic. Now I just use it to suck up the water after Ultra Sonic Cleaning. No more pushing the dirt deeper into the grooves.

Folsom

« Reply #177 on: 26 Mar 2017, 03:46 am »
Nice.

I suppose if he fixed the wobble then it's a really nice system. If I knew what he made it with I might go with it too, if it's perfectly stable. But an extra roller set is needed for 45s I guess?

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #178 on: 15 Jul 2017, 04:30 pm »

Thanks for posting this! I'm in the process of putting a DIY ultrasonic system together and didn't want to drop hundreds of dollars on a vacuum machine, this one looks perfect for what I need.

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #179 on: 20 Jul 2017, 12:39 pm »
Thanks for posting this! I'm in the process of putting a DIY ultrasonic system together and didn't want to drop hundreds of dollars on a vacuum machine, this one looks perfect for what I need.

My Squeaky Clean Vinyl RCM arrived yesterday. I ordered it with an extra pickup wand for a clean rinse step. I also picked up the cheapo Stinger WD2020 wet vac as listed in Nick's video. All in I was $240 CAD vs. $899 CAD + HST for a VPI 16.5 (i.e. less than 1/4 the cost).

I cleaned a couple of noisy dogs from my collection as a test run using MoFi Super Clean, then Disc Doctor Miracle, then a double rinse with distilled water. Both test records are playing close to NM! What a great and inexpensive vacuum solution!

Next step will be sourcing the US cleaner and likely the Vinyl Stack ULTRA Sonic Spin.