DO YOU HAVE A TYPICAL SOLID STATE AMP?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: DO YOU HAVE A TYPICAL SOLID STATE AMP?
« Reply #20 on: 28 Apr 2014, 07:54 pm »
High efficiency and ultra lightweight drivers make for incredible dynamics and a reality of presentation most 2+ way speakers can't even dream of.

Most excellent Canada Rob...a simple and elegant statement that brings home how the Louis' Super 5's behave.  Unless I come across a once-in-a-life-time, 2-way monitor and matching class D amp, it's single driver...full speed ahead.  The coherence on DVD's such as Alison Kraus, Fleetwood Mac and live Therion is just addicting.

The only driver I have heard that is clearly superior is from TAD, they start at $30k for the cheapest speaker model and the matching TAD electronics will be in the 6-figure range...

And I would also mention that the TAD gear is clearly better than anything else available at any price.... so if I had 6-figures I would own TAD gear, since I don't Omega is a nice alternative.  :icon_lol:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #21 on: 29 Apr 2014, 10:26 am »
Was taken back by the opening statement of this thread, "getting rid of your solid state," and wondered how the tube guys would take it if an alternative wording was used that included, "dumping your tube amps." 

Solid state and tubes each have their advantages/disadvantages, damping factors being a single aspect to consider. 

I'm glad that Rob has found that solid state works well with Hoyt-Bedford.

TimF

« Reply #22 on: 29 Apr 2014, 05:33 pm »
I have been considering a pair of Hoyt Type 1 monitors for awhile now, and was always curious how they did on solid state. I have a Naim Uniti1 along with Nap-100 amplifier which I do enjoy a lot. Nice to see a thread which mentions solid state on these, as it does seem to be more of a tube-amplification focus generally on single-driver speakers.

My main issue is that I tend to do a lot of listening late at night, and would like to try something that will still maintain detail and clarity at much lower volume settings, and really something that is more efficient/sensitive. My current speakers are multi-driver, dynamic speakers(Larsen Model 4 and Shahinian Obelisk2), and they take a bit of drive to wake them up. Will be watching this space, curious, but not quite ready to take this plunge at the moment. Tim

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #23 on: 29 Apr 2014, 11:57 pm »
Hi JLM,

I agree, my choice of words could have been better, so I changed the wording on that post.

I am not alone in my experience with solid state working well with the Hoyts.  Check this link out if you haven't already:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=117506.0