SP Mini with REL Sub

RandyH

SP Mini with REL Sub
« on: 29 Mar 2014, 03:30 pm »
I run my SP minis with a REL Storm III sub and have managed a very pleasing blend.  In my room the minis have fairly good bass so I have my Storm set to nearly it's lowest crossover point.  The minis run full range and the REL fills in below.  Even though I am happy with my current setup, my sub is about 14 years old and I figure it is just a matter of time before it will begin to fail so I have started looking ahead for a replacement.  I would like to stay with REL but they have changed their models 3 or 4 times since I bought the Storm so I am not familiar with which current model would come closest in performance to the Storm and/or which might represent a significant upgrade.  Also wondering how a single large sub might compare to two of their smaller ones?

Input from anyone using REL subs with their minis would be appreciated.  How do newer REL models compare to the older ST series?

thanks
Randy

roscoeiii

Re: SP Mini with REL Sub
« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2014, 03:38 pm »
I also really liked a REL Storm with my SP Minis. Not sure how much an upgrade you will get with newer RELs, or what price point you'd need to look at.

If I was looking into sub upgrades I would think about dual subs and subs with DSP. Will really help reduce room effects.

RandyH

« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2014, 03:50 pm »
Good to read your response.  Just curious, what are your volume and crossover settings on the Storm?  I realize that room conditions may be completely different but I am interested in how other folks have blended their minis with a sub.  I have my Storm in a corner behind the right speaker.  The crossover setting is very near the lowest setting on the Storm.  I have never gone above A3 and usually keep it at A1 or A2.   

roscoeiii

« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2014, 03:58 pm »
No longer have the REL. I don't recall what I had it set on, but IIRC like you I had it set pretty low. Sorry I can't be of more help here.

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 29 Mar 2014, 04:39 pm »
A friend has a REL Gibraltar G2. It sounds fantastic, clean and fast enough to keep up with his Manapan 3.7's so it should work fine with the minis. The remote is the bees knees, change the crossover setting, volume and phase from your chair. Old rock and roll which usually has thin low bass - bump up the crossover and volume, dual inputs for music or movies, digital readout to return to audiophile approved purist settings. That sub is on my "must have" list.

Wayne

Philistine

« Reply #5 on: 29 Mar 2014, 05:11 pm »
I also have a Storm 111 and the plate amp needed a repair a couple of years ago, just after Richard Lord sold the business.  Richard Lord may have been a talented sub designer but untalented when it came to customer service, so my expectation level wasn't high.  I contacted the new owners, Sumiko, and was impressed with the attitude and approach from the lady dealing with REL service repairs, she repaired the plate amp and also upgraded it to bring it up to the 'current' spec - the cost for all this very reasonable.  I just mention my experience as keeping the Storm 111 may still be a future option....   

RandyH

« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2014, 05:27 pm »
Thank you for your response.  It's good to know that repairing the Storm, if and when it needs it, may be a viable option.  Have you compared the storm to the newer REL subs?  I always thought the ST series was optimized for music only systems.  I've wondered if the newer models have sacrificed any of that musicality to appeal to Home Theater buyers?

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 29 Mar 2014, 05:59 pm »
Good to hear about the Storm III experience.  I have a couple for the main system (waiting to put it back together after a move), a Strata III in one spare system and a Rel Q150 in the other.  Have not heard any of the newer designs. 

Philistine

« Reply #8 on: 31 Mar 2014, 01:57 pm »
I've not heard any of the new REL's, always used my Storm 111 in music systems and use a SVS sub for HT.  I like the idea of a remote though, makes integration much easier....